Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW PATS ROSTER OUTLOOK

Default NEW PATS ROSTER OUTLOOK

Well the Pats boss Paddock is likely seeing the short term plan and long term vision moving forward.

Point blank many of the prospects can play in the league no problem either with the Pats or another WHL team. It is a no brainer that the leaders are going to be patient with the young talent.

I think the writing is on the wall and looks like the puzzle is coming together.
    I think we will see 1-2 16 year old this year in Pats lineup and others groomed by 30-35 minutes a night with their respective teams.

Roster Possibilities:

Kyle Burroughs, Colby Williams, Chase Harrison, Brady Reagan, Isaac Schacher, James Hilsendager, Sergey Zborovsky and Ryan Krushen. That makes 8 with Carter Hansen and look for a couple of trades in making!~

Forwards fighting for spots:

There are 12 returning forwards including Sam Steel who spent the end of last year with the club but who is LOCKED and OUTSIDE LOOKING in or does NOT just fit the Pats PLAN?

Darcy DeRoose (19)
    Luc Smith (16),
    Kyle Westeringh (18)
    Jared McAmmond (17)
    Rykr Cole (17)
    Dane Schioler (18)
    Colton Kroeker (17)
    Jacob Elmer (16)

Goalies TBA

Iconwhl

Im not 100% sold on Krushen just yet I like his play a lot don't get me wrong there just not entirely sure he is ready for this level which is no knock on him at all. To be still around at this point in time for a list player speaks volumes of his talents. If Krushen does end up getting reassigned that leaves us with 8 Dmen which is a comfortable number as we had 8 Dmen all of last year but the only thing about those numbers is half of them (including Hansen in this group since he has been practicing as a Dman this week from reports) are 19yrs olds so that's 4 which is too many for a team that is suppose to be going young. Although having an older D group gives the younger forwards alittle more leeway for mistakes.

As for the 16yr olds Smith will be on this team there is no questions about that and he will play in more then the min 40 games required for a 16yr old baring injury. Elmer has a very good shot as well, although he lacks weight as he gets pushed off the puck easily he skates fairly good and has good hands, just needs to build strength which could result in him getting reassigned. As much as you need skill for this level of play you also need the strength so you don't get hurt regularly against the bigger stronger 19 & 20yr olds. Elmer already has got banged up against LETH as he left the game with which appeared to be a shoulder injury which he did no return when he left the ice midway in the 2nd period.

I believe McVeigh is on his way out the door just waiting for a deal to take place. He was given the raw end of the stick last year when we traded for him, there was no way he should of been riding a 4th line role but for some reason the coaching staff insisted on keeping Leier at center (which he sucked at) instead of putting him back to his LW spot and let McVeigh be his center....anyways no need to get into that

I don't want to see us having too old of a back end as the 17yr olds in Reagan and Hilsendager need lots of ice time this year as both of them are very capable of playing 12-15mins a night if not more on some nights. Plus there is Zborosky (may of spelt that wrong) who will log 20mins a night regularly im sure, Paddock talks very highly of him which must mean something since Paddock has been a man of few words so far.

So far for me the biggest surprise in camp has been the play of Adam Brooks, I have never been much of a fan of his and I always believed there was a reason why he didn't get much of a chance to play under the last coaching staff. Even last years training camp he didn't play with much confidence, this year it is a much different Brooks I look at him as more of a late bloomer and he is finally finding his way as a 18yr old.

As for the goalies there is no questioning it Wapple and Fuhr will be the goalies.... for a backup you want the most capable guy and by far Fuhr is that guy, ideally you would want a 18yr old but whatever there is no need for that as next year Wapple will groom 16yr old Hollett anyways
    Last edited by patsdude114; 09-03-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added in the goalie talk as i forgot it

I haven't had the chance to watch any games yet. I am planning on going to the game on Sat. Should be interesting.

I was looking at the roster and the size of Hunt really stuck out to me. He has grown 2 inches and gained 25 pounds from this time last year. That type of growth in one year...

Anyway, it got me interested in the rest of the roster. Schioler has put on 20 pounds, that will help him play the type of game he needs to play to make the WHL. Brooks, D'Amico and Kroeker have put on 10 pounds (with Kroeker growing 2 inches).

the D core is no longer that small. Burroughs and Williams have put on 28 and 15 pounds respectively. Harrison and Hilsendager have grown 2 inches and have gained 35 and 25 pounds respectively.

BTW, I just can't see Hansen playing on the backend. It would just take ice time away from the younger guys and I don't think you would gain a ton skill wise.

My bet is both Smith and Cole will make the roster. Colton Krueker will get a long look as he has the size, hands, skating to play at this level.

IMO. All are good players smith is big but not fast enough. Cole is faster but smaller. Kroeker is a medium inbetween but is the fastest however not the skill of cole. Smith is 16 and can hit but the team is much bigger and will hit. Don't think he can replace the toughness of a damico or a Christopher. He is just 16 and that's a lot to ask a player at that age to be a tough guy. I think brooks came to camp with a crash mindset. He looks like a man on a mission with something to prove. He has the skill set to be very good and is starting to play with an edge not just peripherally. Hansen IMO should he a D man. Perfect size and presence, will make a good first pass and can shoot.

My question is what and if they are going to trade Klimchuk. That is a tough call. Do you get something for him early or wait. IMO I would wait until sometime in the first couple of months and see how things are going. His injuries worry me however.

Who is going to be that impact player? Remember last year they has 3
    Arguably 4. Can hunt and gay step into that stop. Or will this be the solid but not flashy 4 line team?

It's interesting to see how opening day roster will look, but we know it will greatly changed by Christmas. The hints all over the place that they will likely be going quite young, as they should. If they keep 5-6 rookies there will need to be vets moving.

Koreker and Cole will likely stay. Kroeker won the scoring titles in his midget league. Cole had a point a game after a bad slow start in the Saskatchewan midget league. Smith is a big tough kid with a physical presence, and Elmer is a natural scorer.

Add in Hilsendager, Krushen and Zabrovsky you have 3 rookie d-men to add to the forwards numbers. You don't need to be a math major to know that somebody needs to go. There will be debate as to who it might be but to get younger older guys have to go.

Last year Hansen was a utility player, however no edge to his game. Takes a lot of needless penalties and had a poor +/-. His value lays moving him as a 19. If he made the team in 15, we owe MJ another draft pick. Average 20's are hard to move.

Will McVeigh find the scoring touch he lost in MH, because the rest of his game is soft. Zimmer has wheels but no hands, maybe become a penalty killer. D'Amico is a ?? 20 yr since he isn't likely to make more than a 3rd line. You can't keep a 20 yr old for that.

Brooks may be better but he is still undersized. If they kept Brooks and took Cole as they will; they would have 7 or 8 guys under 6' and that is clearly becoming way too small. Small teams don't generally do well. With his background I doubt Paddock will have that.

Kammerer will be on a short leash and will need to start producing regularly in the WHL. Christopher is a decent 20 yr old. He is gritty and greasy and can finish a bit. Smaller but will look after players. I fully expect to see two different 20 yr old before too long.

They may move a 19 yr d-man to make room for younger guys or add a tougher rugged presence. We really don't have a true tough guy d-man. In goal Wapple is a proven vet who wins games. His backup is open for debate. There may be strategy keeping 2-19's.

There will need to be some trades made fairly soon. Some of the trades will be for draft picks as opposed to roster players. A tough d-man, and a tough forward coming in due course. There is nothing wrong going young if you have the requisite protection.

Rosters evolve from training camp until the trade deadline. If we go with young talent, we will be fast and exciting with mistakes, but fun to watch. Likely won't make playoffs and will dispose assets at dead line. After this year we should have many good years.
    Last edited by chopper; 09-04-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: type-o

Iconwhl

I agree we need some toughness like we all think so but with that said teams just don't give away toughness as in today's day and age so many kids play soft. You can't teach touchiness it's either in you or it's not.

As for our 20yr olds IMO D'Amico has the most skill but has never been put in an offensive role due to his all around game. He put up I believe it wa 24pts (without going to look as I'm on my phone) playing with 2 grinders last year in Hansen and Christoffer, without D'Amico I doubt those 2 had any success. Those 2 players mentioned didn't start improving their numbers until D'Amico for recalled for the rest of the year.

I'm starting to think we may just see McVeigh reassigned to Jr. A or just flat out released like we did Ouellette and Fenske last year as 20yr olds.

As for assests to move we don't really have those after Klimchuk and Burroughs who I do think both will be moved at some point this year as all indications are Butroughs won't be back next season as he has got long looks the past 2 years in the AHL he's proving he can play at that level. As for Hunt and Gay it makes more sense to keep them as 20yr olds then moving them, as I highly doubt either player will fetch a return you can not decline.

A lot of times we think it's just so easy to trade a player but it's not by any means especially this time of the year when teams have just seen 50+ players going thru their systems and they try to fill from within first. I'm guilty of this as well but I'm really starting to think that outside of Klimchuk Burroughs Hunt Gay there sure isn't much value in the rest especially at this point in time. I see reassignment a or releases instead of trades.

I am a fan of D'Amico. He has a bit of size and does some of the intangibles that a team needs. He was OK on faceoffs and went to the dirty spots. And has an offensive upside.
    Christoffer has a bit of offensive touch, works the boards well and has that bit of toughness that the Pats will need.
    McVeigh got off to a bad start with the Pats and never was able to work out of that hole. I don't think that his heart was in it last year. Has that changed?

On the backend, I think there would be some value to Williams. He was just starting to find his game last year. Will be back as a 20 year old. I can't see the Pats moving Burroughs, unless it is a deadline deal that they can' pass up.

I agree that Kroeker (6'3 170) will be in and I think Cole (5'11 175) will be in too as he would be the most complete 17 year old player in our system other than Wagner. Too much talk about Brooks and not enough about Wagner from my perspective although I do hope Brooks can break out this year. I'm starting to think that Smith is the 3rd forward in, if he sticks around after the weekend vs Brandon that will re-assure it for me although I think he would be better developing somewhere else this year.

I don't see much value in trading Hansen or most of our 19/20 year olds, the return would be very limited for them all at this point except for Christoffer but he is here to stay to help protect Steel and others. Maybe if one gets off to a great start after 7 reg season games or so, then their value would be better. If Hansen can't transfer well into a D-man, then he will be off to Jr A if you ask me. I can't imagine Hansen is happy about having to move to the point and I can't really blame him but it's fit in there or see ya later. I'm not going to guess who else could be out until after Saturday nigh, but Kroeker, Cole and Smith are currently the guys I see making it up front.

There is no doubt that MvVeigh can be traded and will draw some interest should they decide to move him. They may even package him up in a multi-player deal at some point. They definitely need some pieces and they definitely will be making some trades.

Toughness isn't given away but neither can it be ignored. We won't have the presence like Stevenson this year, and if we go young without enough presence it could get ugly. I've seen it happen to younger and smaller Pats teams in the past.

If a 6'2" hard rock starts abusing Steel; who do we have that can go out there and look after him, and perhaps win a scrap in the process? I know the current answer and he may not make the team. Now if we have 5-6 rookies it puts even more pressure in this area.

When you look at MJ they have 4 20 yr olds. Rodewald, Eberle, Yakabowski and Cooke. It's pretty obvious that Cooke looks like the odd man out unless MJ moves either Rodewald or Eberle (not likely). They traded for Yakabowski recently.

Don't say MJ wouldn't trade him here because they traded with us early last season. It's all about what you need to give in return. There are other options around the league that a potential scorer like McVeigh could be included as a package. Everything's negotiable.

Williams may be moved as he is a similar player to Burroughs. He will be if they find a 20 yr old d-man that they want. They could get a return of draft picks for Williams because he's a two year player. There will be a few vets moved.