Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddock new HC looks like Lang may be done too....

Iconwhl Paddock new HC looks like Lang may be done too....

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/hea...769/story.html

With John Paddock taking the Pats Head Coaching job it looks like Lang's days may be numbered as the GM as Paddock also takes on Hockey Operation control as well (which I would presume is the GM role???)

After reading the LP article i don't know how one could take anything else out of the obvious. The director of hockey operations pretty much means all the hockey happenings. I imagine we will hear pretty soon the Lang has resigned to " persure other opportunities".

Not a name heard in any circles. Wonder if they had to reach out after all the supposed "A" list guys were taken. He's not a "new wave" guy but his ability to coach is all that matters. Lets hope they hire a great young assistant since he's likely gone in two or less.

His resume shows he is a lifetime wondering hired coach so his likely tenure here is short. As long as they hire a good possible replacement for when he finds his next gig. I hope he plans to be here a few years casue it takes that long to learn the GM ropes.
    Last edited by chopper; 08-04-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: type-o

Iconwhl

It may be reading way to far into it but Paddock was told by Philadelphia that he would not be coming back on June 18th and a couple days later Cameron was let go....... He is from Brandon and if I recall the one owner can't recall the name but his family runs a funeral business which started in Brandon so maybe there is some toes there to the families.

Paddock is getting up there in age if I recall without checking he is 60+ maybe he is looking for a more relaxed type job but to stay in the hockey world. A job here would be a much more relaxed type job compared to the AHL or NHL level but he gets to still stick with the developing phase.

I'm excited about this hiring and I have a feeling it is not a short term with Paddock just due to his age. He has accomplished all he can in the AHL, unless the perfect NHL job falls in his lap I can see him here for 4+ yrs easy. (Or I'm hoping)

Next up who are his assistants going to be........ Does Cassen get a chance and learn from a very experienced & successful bench boss? Does Mercier (pats alumni) give the WHL another crack after his experience as a head coach & GM in the AJHL.... Or does Paddock bring in a friend or 2 from his coaching years to help?

Still questions to be answered but finally we have something worth while to talk about as Pats fans

The Pipeline Show is saying that Pat alumni Darrin McKechnie has been named as an assistant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Millard s Twitter @DuckMillard
    As first reported by TPS. John paddock expected to sign as Head Coach with @WHLpats today. Former pat Darren McKechnie asst coach @TPS_Guy

I think the new owners would have got a long term commitment from Paddock as I know they are wanting to host the 2019 M Cup and they want to be contenders by 2016/17 season and 2017/18 and a stable organization by then.
    Any chance of Cassen and Struch as assistants? seems the ownership group want to be involved so there is not a lot of time to let Paddock do a search, interview, and hire from a new batch of candidates. PD114 you may be right that he has coaches he has worked with in mind.
    My only reservation is the ownership. Will they allow him to be in charge of the hockey operations or will all decisions (roster, trades, etc.) need to be fettered through the owners?

I know Darren McKechnie very well and he is talented enough to do a good job if he were named an a/coach. The thing that makes me wonder is how is another City Police Officer going to be able to find time to do two jobs. Would he be part-time? With the goalie coach that would make two police officers on a sort of an ad hoc basis. Darren had great hands and wheels when he played for the Pats and he would be an ideal choice as a skills coach should they go that direction. Decisions soon I suspect.

Darren still doesn't have any serious coaching experience though, he has been coaching Midget AA and scouting for Kootenay. They still need another experienced guy to come on board. I hope they consider Cassan as he has some junior background.

Considering that Paddock has never coached in the WHL, neither has McKechnie, and neither has Cassan. They will have a very steep learning curve especially Paddock who is now in charge of hockey operations. Interesting times ahead.

Well that's interesting to say the least. Pretty high credentials for a late hire. One would wonder if he was acceded a while ago but was waiting until now to see about a NHL or a AHL position if one opened up. Only reason I say that is the money difference between AHL and NHL assistant and this job. There is a lot for him to catch up on as he probably doesn't know any of the players. If it is him it will surely be a busy couple of weeks.

On paper it looks very strong, and I think it will be very interesting to see the assistant coaches. Is this just a grooming mentoring year or two for Cassan? From what I heard he is a really good guy. The players probably need a young coach that they can relate to, but with that said Pollock obviously can do that with so many AHL years.

How do you think the fans will react to this move? Not only from a coaching perspective but from a GM move if that is happening. What was or is the feeling surrounding Lang?

You guys don't seem to have too high of impressions for the new owners either. Any reason? Watched the news conference and there introduction and they seemed to be good guys. Correct me if I'm wrong the the Parker's pretty much run this as a profit business.

Iconwhl

That's hockey I think I'm with you that Paddock was their giy all along but were waiting on seeing if he got a job in the AHL or NHL before he fully committed to junior hockey. One would think with his job experience in both coaching and as a GM that he would be bringing in a 3 figure salary in junior as well, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's between 100k-130k for this job just due to his name and experience.

If this in fact was the guy the owners had their minds set on as Paddock was let go by Philadelphia 3 days before Cameron was set free then I'm not so concerned about the new owners anymore. I dd think with the time frame on this hiring that it was a complete joke, but things have a way of working themselves out in the long run and this is a big splash in the coaching world especially for junior hockey. Paddock is by far the biggest name coach the Pats have ever had during my 25+ yrs as a Pats fan.

Can't wait for training camp now and see what Paddock's message is to the kids at the start of training camp. As I do remember what Cameron's was to the vet workouts.

I think for guys like Brooks also Kammerer really need to prove themselves in camp as it's not like they have done anything decent yet in theist WHL career's to show that they are worth while.

These things have a way of evolving and have many moving parts. I doubt that he was their #1 guy but may have been on the radar to some extent. Hiller, Pearn, Paddock, Ward, Hunter etc were probably all on their radar. Those guys were also looking for pro jobs as well as junior jobs. It's somewhat telling that right after Hiller signed with Detroit, they made this announcement. If Paddock wasn't getting a pro job after his release by Philly, this hire could have been done long ago. There were others sniffed out who didn't bite.

Paddock will now have to make hockey decisions and learn the WHL, the league, players and GM's. That will take some time. McKechnie is a good guy but very limited coaching background. I'm not sure he's even eligible to retire yet. It's not helpful to have a part-time coach in place. I'm hopeful that they hire another assistant with some junior experience. This coaching staff will have a very small window to get up to speed, especially if Lang is pushed out or resigns. All new people and camp just around the corner...sheesh!

I don't sing praises until I see results. Cameron won a pennant with very little talent and depth. We will have to see how Paddock produces. We will need to see how he manoeuvres in the WHL trade world now that he's in charge. It will be most interesting going forward. I truly hope they find the right guy who Paddock can mentor to be the next HC. I don't get the sense an ex-pro guy will be here too long. Conacher wasn't, and contract lengths mean nothing. I agree with the poster who said "show me, I'm from Missouri".

Iconwhl

I agree the term means jack crap at this point he could be a 1year guy and gone next season when a pro job is offered his way. Now I hope that's not the case as Cameron would of still been the perfect guy for the job then, this franchise needs some stability with coaches something we haven't had during my time as a Pats fan anyways. I think te longest serving coach here has been Hunt and that was what 4 out of 5 years (or was it 5 out of 6 years I forget) either way it is not a winning formula by any means, last season was the first time I ever remembering that the Pats promoted an assistant to the head coach it's like there is no structure at all within our franchise and so far to date even with new owners there still isn't........ Maybe things start to change now but it's too early to tell yet.

Training camp can start up any time now lol I'm very interested in getting things started now and see where this takes us.

Wonder if a hiring of this stature helps gets Liam Schoiler signed or Koberstein to come here, if their parents are knowledgable at all with the hockey world and seeing what this guy has accomplished as a coach one would like to think that maybe Regina now becomes a very good option for prospects now.