Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Training camp

Thanks PD114 for the post about the game I missed, I enjoy most of your post as they are very informative. Don't always agree with your opinion but always get some info.
    Looking forward to tonight's game Lethbridge as a good size line up, so will be a good test for the Pats.
    Agree with the Cole/Mitchell comparison, think Cole is taller and when he fills out could be wrecking ball.
    after tonight a week of practise and a very good test with Brandon, however Brandon is a week behind in training camp and the games will be Brandon's first of the exhibition season

That is the first time I saw Smith, He missed a lot of camp with either mono or the flu but I am impressed. skating needs to be worked on but can be a contributor on this team. Testing my memory but I think we drafted him with the pick from Brandon for not drafting Patrick and we have another SC draft that we got for McGuirer (spelling). Not a bad days work for Chad L

To be honest, disregarding all the conflicting practical reasons not to, and our 'already promised direction', apart of me wants this team to just hold onto most of or all the promising youth we got.

We could cut all these spot filling fringe veterans - who we likely wouldn't consider bringing back as 20 year olds anyways - instead of handing all of them 20 minutes a night and let the prospective future ride the pine to become junior A fodder. We could add a couple 'policemen' to keep them all in one piece and even if its a write-off year, we could attempt to carve out a solid foundation of youth with some experience. I think it beats the alternative of only keeping a couple of 16s and giving them 40 'half games' on the forth line.

I mean the result might be fairly similar regardless of what we do anyways. I don't see us having the horses to take the division. One down year might be what it takes to get us out of the rut. Contending teams seem to do that all the time

Iconwhl

Smith had a great game last night for not having played since day 1 of training camp. I still stand by what I said that Smith is the next best 16yr old after Steel and he proved it last night. Sure his skating needs abit of work but it wasn't that noticeable last night at all. He had the 2 hits of the night the one early in the first when the Canes player came to make a big hit on him ended up flat on his arse instead of Smith and then the huge hit he laid on Duke that resulted in Wagner stepping in to fight Bricker for Smith (a good vet move to let the kid continue playing the rest of the night instead of an early shower not even 1min into the 2nd)

As for SAJ's comments about going very young. At first I was against that before camp started mainly cause I wanted to see how much these 17s got better but when you look at them all they all bring something and there is very little difference in either player. They are all better then Brooks was last year. So with that all said I would love to see us get rid of some vets in favour of these young kids.

Now onto Brooks..... I'm the first to admit that I haven't been much of a fan of his since day 1 but with that said in these preseason games he is showing he does have some offensive capabilities. The same can be said with Kammerer.

Last nights game was a great game all around, I knew the game was going to be physical from the get go with the likes of Walters and Bell on their defense. Steel made both those guys miss on a consistent basis last night, Steel was the best player on the ice between both teams with Duke being a some what close second. Steel took over the game in the 3rd period he was every where and creating chances each time he touched the puck which he did score one and setup Brooks for his goal plus was robbed of his hat trick which the goalie had no business stopping but he did so kudos to him on that save.

Will be interesting to see who we reassign today, doesn't matter who is reassigned it will be a good player who could play in the league this year. There is no doubt about 2 players who will be reassigned in 15yr olds Hollett and Gardiner but after that it's wide open. I noticed McVeigh didn't play once this weekend is he trade bait maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    To be honest, disregarding all the conflicting practical reasons not to, and our 'already promised direction', apart of me wants this team to just hold onto most of or all the promising youth we got.

We could cut all these spot filling fringe veterans - who we likely wouldn't consider bringing back as 20 year olds anyways - instead of handing all of them 20 minutes a night and let the prospective future ride the pine to become junior A fodder. We could add a couple 'policemen' to keep them all in one piece and even if its a write-off year, we could attempt to carve out a solid foundation of youth with some experience. I think it beats the alternative of only keeping a couple of 16s and giving them 40 'half games' on the forth line.

I mean the result might be fairly similar regardless of what we do anyways. I don't see us having the horses to take the division. One down year might be what it takes to get us out of the rut. Contending teams seem to do that all the time
    Your position is completely on point and the reasoning is sound. If our future lays in the youth then why would we not have them on the roster? Getting these 16 and 17 year olds a year of experience would reap huge rewards by this time next year.

We would have between 5-7 youngsters coming back who have the talent and experience needed.In the past we always had one high end talent but never two at the same time, let alone four or five. i.e. Eberle or Weal but never anyone to play with them.

We know Steel is a thoroughbred but he can't do it alone. Wouldn't it be nice to have Smith, Elmer, Poteau, Kroker and Cole all back with him having that same season under their belts? The team would be on it's way to a powerhouse.

This is the only way a rebuild can be done. Trading draft picks for 19 or 20 year olds to try and make the playoffs and two home gates don't cut it. It was the Parkers way however. MJ struggled last year but all will a heck of a team this year. They did it right.

As far as I'm concerned they can trade for two tough boys to look after our young guys, even if it meant moving MvVeigh and D'Amico to do it. MJ may have an extra and there are some out west. We need to diametrically change how we do business.

Now is the time for forward thinking because for nearly two decades Parker showed us his vision never worked. Most of the mediocre 19 and 20 year olds will likely be gone by trade deadline at any rate. We still have enough vets and just need toughness.

Iconwhl

Keep in mind Klimchuk will be traded at some point this year and what we get for him will fit in nicely with the youth we have this year. Would be nice if one team separated themselves from the pack by mid to late November and then trade Klimchuk to them so he's not so much of a rental type, that he goes to war with those guys before the trade deadline. Plus there is always that risk if he makes the world juniors (which is expected) that he could sustain an injury and then we get jack crap from him much like Eberle and Weal.....

It's always a risk and is it worth the risk for the state of us finally doing a rebuild correctly....... Sure you may get alittle more at trade deadline but is it worth the risk of nothing?????

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Keep in mind Klimchuk will be traded at some point this year and what we get for him will fit in nicely with the youth we have this year. Would be nice if one team separated themselves from the pack by mid to late November and then trade Klimchuk to them so he's not so much of a rental type, that he goes to war with those guys before the trade deadline. Plus there is always that risk if he makes the world juniors (which is expected) that he could sustain an injury and then we get jack crap from him much like Eberle and Weal.....

It's always a risk and is it worth the risk for the state of us finally doing a rebuild correctly....... Sure you may get alittle more at trade deadline but is it worth the risk of nothing?????
    So his worth should be between Schenn and Ferland I'd think? Ferland was a first round pick, Schenn was he and a 3rd round pick for a 1st and 2nd in 2011, a 1st in 2012 and a 1st euro pick in 2012 and Nikkel and McGauley. Then Saskatoon had also paid a 1st and a 5th for valcourt, and also got Walker and a 2nd for a 2nd in 12, 2nd in 13, 3rd in 14 and of course, Bdmn had the right to swap picks in the 1st round in 14, which landed Bdn the 1st overal pick.
    Klimchuck has similar scoring stats to Ferland, but not the obvious physical side, but he must be worth a first and something at the deadline to a team that needs scoring. If Reg are committed to a rebuild year and a team offered me a good return early I'd take it because as Patsdude said, if he gets injured he brings back nothing
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Historically the return for good players is higher at or near the deadline. However if some team were to step up and offer the same kind of return early, then it might be ok. I have heard that Calgary was interested and they are owned by the Flames, so who knows.

The return would need to include a 1st round pick ands something else, or perhaps a couple of 2nd's and something. Problem is usually a team like Calgary do very well in the season, and they have a lower draft pick. That 1st pick would be very late in the draft.

A number of teams who might not be players could become interested. If their season goes well and they find themselves in the hunt, they might be willing sacrifice a lot of the farm. Regardless of how this goes down I agree Klimchuk will be moved at some point.

PS - do any of you guys know of the deletions that were made? Usually some medium posts if there re-assignments or deletions. That information has been hard to find out this year.
    Last edited by chopper; 09-01-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: additional comment

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Historically the return for good players is higher at or near the deadline. However if some team were to step up and offer the same kind of return early, then it might be ok. I have heard that Calgary was interested and they are owned by the Flames, so who knows.

The return would need to include a 1st round pick ands something else, or perhaps a couple of 2nd's and something. Problem is usually a team like Calgary do very well in the season, and they have a lower draft pick. That 1st pick would be very late in the draft.

A number of teams who might not be players could become interested. If their season goes well and they find themselves in the hunt, they might be willing sacrifice a lot of the farm. Regardless of how this goes down I agree Klimchuk will be moved at some point.

PS - do any of you guys know of the deletions that were made? Usually some medium posts if there re-assignments or deletions. That information has been hard to find out this year.
    What team will need scoring help? I'm sure Regina would like to deal him out of the division, maybe Edmonton will want him if Lazar makes the show?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    These are the most recent re-assignments:
    Pats reassign goaltender Jordan Hollett (’99)
    Pats reassign forward Erik Gardiner (’99)
    Pats reassign forward Adam Berg (’97)
    Pats reassign defenceman Brady Pouteau (’98)