Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Training camp

Iconwhl

Smith was taken to the hospital this morning by the team as precautions to a possible mono case.

Smith, Woods, Elmer and Gardnier have been moved to main camp which is why they didn't play in the evening scrimmage. They had nothing more to prove, I left after the first 30min period of the last scrimmage as it just wasn't worth watching.

I was told #2 on white was the new Russian, he was big and a pretty good skater IMO..... I found a lot of his passes were off the mark but I'm not too worries about that as who knows how often he was on the ice back in Russia.

Was told by Lang they are going with the 3 main camp teams again with Wapple, Macauley and Fuhr as each teams goalies.

My thoughts on rookie camp.....
    I thought Woods was the best all around player, he lead some great rushes, he used his teammates, he created offence every time he was on the ice.

Steel showed some flashes but he was trying to do way to much and forgot he had teammates on the ice basically every shift he was out there. Honestly I was alittle disappointed in his play. He will need to change that though once he is playing with vets as they are much faster and smarter, I'm not worried about Steel one bit though.

Elmer I thought got better after he wasn't playing with Steel, also Gardiner he is going to be the real deal he was already a top 5 forward among all the rookies.

Krushen I thought was the best Dman out there followed very closely by Pouteau then Freidrich, Bruce and Lovell. I also thought Sandstrom played well all camp too.

There were a few decent walk on guys I really liked that #21 Grey he was quick and played with an edge for a smaller guy. Not sure on his age kind of hope he is only 15yrs old and we list him after we drop Ortynski.

Also my biggest surprise in camp was Brady Third, after 2 spring camps and last years trainin camp I really thought he wasn't worth much but this years training camp he was showing a lot more then he ever has and found himself in my eyes the 5th best forward in rookie camp behind Woods, Steel, Elmer and Gardiner.

I know I was very judgemental when the Pats decided to select a goalie with out 1st rd pick but this Hollett kid is the real deal. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in main camp against te older stronger shooters. Chapman showed a lot as well I think our goaltending is in great hands for the future. Usually our franchise has sucked at finding goalies, but with those 2 along wíh Schineder who we traded last year we have been finding goalies who can play at this level.

Default Liam Finlay

Did Finlay make it to camp this year?

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
    Did Finlay make it to camp this year?
    Nope he didn't

Here is a short list of guys I noticed who were not at camp at all....
    Finlay
    Richards
    Holmes
    L. Schoiler

I may of missed some else but those were the noticeable ones for me

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Nope he didn't

Here is a short list of guys I noticed who were not at camp at all....
    Finlay
    Richards
    Holmes
    L. Schoiler

I may of missed some else but those were the noticeable ones for me
    Not really surprises but Mumby and Hand aren't here.

Listed defencemen Nathyn Mortlock and Andrew McCann aren't here either.

Iconwhl

I completely missed no Mumby, although without sounding like too much if a A-hole he is really no loss to us

No Hand is definitely not a surprise and it the best thing for his health to no longer take part in the sport at this level, even though he is more then capable of playing at this level and it's prob bugging him like crazy.

As for McCann and Mortlock I really don't think they had much of a chance anyways with such a strong D core coming up...... More lock did play well during a call up last year maybe a team who is lacking defense could take a chance on him as a 6th or 7th Dman.

Are any of Dejong, Kobertein, McCrea or Skjei in camp?
    Both Reid Duke and MaCoy Erkamps have failed to show up in Lethbridge. Duke is big rugged guy who had 15 goals and 91pim last season. Maybe there might be something the Pats could consider there.
    Last edited by chopper; 08-23-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: addition

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Are any of Dejong, Kobertein, McCrea or Skjei in camp?
    Nope not 1 of those guys are at camp either but neither of those names surprise me for not being there either. Would of been nice to get Koberstein but im going out on a limb and saying we will never see him in a Pats jersey.

Both Reid Duke and MaCoy Erkamps have failed to show up in Lethbridge. Duke is big rugged guy who had 15 goals and 91pim last season. Maybe there might be something the Pats could consider there.
    I wouldn't by any means say Reid Duke is a big rugged player, he stands 6'0 188 but he does play in the edge and plays bigger then his stature really is, both those players are a big loss for the Hurricanes and that can fall directly onto their fool of a coach in Drake Berehowsky. I hope for the Canes fans that this coach can finally turn things around in Lethbridge but imho I really do not see that happening.

Duke is the age group that we do lack and he would be a nice addition to our 2nd line, heck he could even become the #1 center as I really do not feel Steel is ready for the #1 center spot.

I know someone in Calgary who told me Duke is over 6' and 190+. He will scrap and does a pretty good job in that area. Even though he is a year younger I would give them Mumby for Ercamps..lol.

I have been concerned about the Schoiler situation for some time. It would appear strongly that he doesn't want to be here. Now is when he should come not at 17 or 18. After the 2nd round disaster of 2011 to lose out on our 2nd round 2013 would be a big blow. You can list a lot of guys but you won't list a Schoiler. He is pegged as an elite player at all of the levels. This stings big time. We have recently lost a lot of good players this route. I think our scouts will need to re-double their efforts to identify kids in all rounds who will report here.

Iconwhl

I know someone in Calgary who told me Duke is over 6' and 190+. He will scrap and does a pretty good job in that area. Even though he is a year younger I would give them Mumby for Ercamps..lol.
    there is a very good chance that possibly Duke did grow another inch or so over the summer but I remember him quite well when LETH came here to play and he was not much bigger then Brooks in terms of height I think the 6'0 listing on the WHL website was being generous. But like I said he does play a lot bigger then the frame he does support and will be a solid player for whoever lands him in a trade if in fact LETH does trade him. The only way LETH corrects this problem is by not trading the players who do not report or who request trades. By meeting their request you no longer run your franchise the kids run it

I have been concerned about the Schoiler situation for some time. It would appear strongly that he doesn't want to be here. Now is when he should come not at 17 or 18. After the 2nd round disaster of 2011 to lose out on our 2nd round 2013 would be a big blow. You can list a lot of guys but you won't list a Schoiler. He is pegged as an elite player at all of the levels. This stings big time. We have recently lost a lot of good players this route. I think our scouts will need to re-double their efforts to identify kids in all rounds who will report here.
    Unfortunately we are not the only team out there who loses these types of players to the NCAA route. He is attending school at St. Mary's again which is in the states which also gives the NCAA more scouting to lure this type of player to them. Can not fault the Pats in this type of situation you draft the best possible player at all times and if things don't work out it is beyond your control.

If the Pats can prove they can be a legit top franchise that players want to come and play for then these types of situations will change, but as of right now we are not considered in the same breath of air as the Portland's, Calgary's, Edmonton's, Brandon's or Kelowna's of the WHL.... until that happens players like Schioler will pick other options.

Ive always said if Hockey Canada was serious about getting and keeping the top Canadian players staying and playing in the CHL that they make it no player is allowed to play for the U18's or U20's teams. It may give alittle more leverage back to the CHL in terms of recruiting, something needs to be done cause losing some of our top prospects not only hurts the CHL teams but also hurts us fans of the CHL as we start watching too many players who don't truly belong in the CHL... I also feel even the smallest of an adjustment to the education plan could help as well, that 18month window to use the schooling is too small of a window especially for players who want to give Pro hockey a chance. I honestly think 3-5yrs should be the window as it allows players to attempt to live out their dream of playing professional hockey without it effecting the schooling side shall things not work out.

Totally agree the education window should be five years. Let a kid pursue his pro dreams for a bit and if it doesn't work out he can fall back on his education money.

I also like the ideas of having a qualifier that in order to play for Hockey Canada at any level below pro would require you to play in the CHL or Tier two jr. A good case could be made that the CHL is the primary supplier of Jr players to our country's programs so the member teams should be compensated in some way. At any rate outside of Toews I can't remember a college player really being a difference maker. It may be an additional factor these players consider before failing to report.