Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: blades training camp thread

Default blades training camp thread

having a look at the roster on the blades website here's who's probably playing for spots.

13 forwards pick between - graham, sloboshan, soshnin, forsberg, millette, clayton, hebig, zajac, smyth, mappin, boutin, gomerich, stovin, adamson, gingras, prevost, braid, harland.

7 defensemen pick between - dwyer, ottenbreit, higson, hnidy, nogier, dea, krupic, thomson, nikkel.

don't think there'll be much competition for goaltender. going with trombley and martin.

i left scherbak off the list. he could make montreal. if he is returned to junior he'll either be traded, or one of the other euros will have to be released as they can't be traded.

Here's my roster prediction...

Goaltenders

Troy Trombley
    Quentin Abrams,
    Malcom Young
    Trevor Martin

I'd like the Blades to go in to the pre-season with these 4 and then pick the 2 best ones. Not sure I'd wanna use a 20 yr old spot on Trombley though I wouldn't be against it if they don't go and pick up some other 20's. I'm really interested in seeing how Abrams and Young do at camp.

Forwards

Nikita Scherbak
    Cameron Hebig
    Alex Forsberg
    Nick Zajac
    Ryan Graham
    Wyatt Sloboshan
    Ty Mappin
    Cory Millette
    Logan Harland
    Nikita Soshnin
    Chasetain Braid
    Dakota Boutin
    Parker Smyth
    Jesse Lansdell or Garrett Armour

I don't believe Stovin will make it past the OA deadline, least IMO he shouldn't. For now this is my forward predictions though I can see the Blades making some trades and adding a forward or two. If Sherbak is traded which is possible, I hope the Blades can get a some good young 97's in exchange, or a 97 and 96.

Defensemen

Nelson Nogier
    MacKenzie Dwyer
    Amil Krupic - Odd man out if Blades keep Sherbak and Soshnin looks good.
    Nolan Reid
    Jordan Thomson
    Turner Ottenbreit
    Ayrton Nikkel

I'm curious to see how Josh Bergen and Holden Cronin do at camp. Could be darkhorses.

I think the Blades could use a 20 yr old d-man that would be a top 4.

Don't see Tyler Dea making the team. The other guys have more potential IMO

i like the offensive ability the forward group could have. hopefully they all work well in woods system and help in the defensive zone too. going to have to help because the defense and goaltending are where we have some big questions to answer.

nogier, reid, thomson, and nikkel should have spots locked up if they play like they can. ottenbreit and krupic should earn the next two. it's wide open for the last defensive spot.

Attended the first scrimmage between team Blue and team white.

First thing I gotta say is it was tough to see the numbers with the jerseys they wore. The stripes were so close to the numbers it I couldn't make out some of the numbers.

There weren't any real standouts other then Scherbak and Hebig. Didn't notice Soshnin a whole lot or Forsberg although like I mentioned at the start, numbers were hard to read.

Boutin was recognizable by the green pants and green helmet (PA Mintos) and I was impressed with him. Needs to pass a bit more but otherwise I like him.

Couldn't tell u who was in net either, sorry bout that.

I'll be glad when they play pre-season and u can see whose who more clearly.

It is only the first day but I didn't see much speed on the ice. I wonder if we are moving away from what obviously works in the whl, look at portland, edmonton or kelowna. We need speed and skill to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheice View Post
    It is only the first day but I didn't see much speed on the ice. I wonder if we are moving away from what obviously works in the whl, look at portland, edmonton or kelowna. We need speed and skill to compete.
    Did you attend both games today? The first game was quite fast.

A couple quick points from my view:

Josh Paterson looks like he will be really good. Nice snipe on a breakaway high glove side. Huge upside with this kid. I wish he could play this year. Was likely the best player on the ice this scrimmage.

Cameron Hebig was fast and had quite a few chances

Colin Woods is a hard worker and has 2 goals in 2 days.

Lots of really nice looking defensman. Capstick, Kustra, Dwyer, Ottenbreit, Krupic, and more.

Ty Mapping was fast and played well with Austin Adamson who had 2 goals.

Wyatt Sloboshan had many chances but couldn't bury it. Played well.
    Last edited by curwie; 08-23-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ontheice View Post

The ownership and Woods wanna have a fast puck possession team. Remember the Blades still have Molleken's hand prints all over it. It'll take awhile for Woods to put his mark on the team.

How's Boutin looking for you guys?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    Only saw him once but I was impressed. Good skater and aggressive. See how he does in pre season

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    Hey looked ok for me as well. Like Trav said earlier, he was wearing green pants so he was easy to spot. So many players to watch, and really not that many spots available so it's hard to tell sometimes. I find myself having to curb my excitement.