Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: blades training camp thread

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGuy View Post
    So if Boutin was asked to sign or if he was asked to play exhibition games it would ruin his eligibility to play NCAA?
    Yes, but that's not why he was released. He wasn't as good as the others still left at camp/ The Blades bothered not to list him since they would've had to have given up the draft pick then. There's also rumors going around that his parents are hard asses.

It sounds like a big rivalry that the WHL has with the NCAA If you play a exhibition game your done in the NCAA. If you sign your done in the NCAA. So what better way to keep players committed to a team than get them to play 1 game or sign a contract. It basically closes a door for that kid. My guess is they asked him to sign, asked him to play exhibition games, and when his advisor said they want guaranteed spot on the team or they wouldn't sign the Blades released him. Same thing happened in Brandon from what I hear. I was told he looked good at training camp he just needed to move the puck more. The same comments were made about Sam Steele in Regina's camp. The comment was that he was trying to do too much. (Read Regina's training camp report/Comments)

It's to bad WHL teams can't play guys in exhibition games without them loosing their NCAA eligibility. Game situations are the only real way to tell if a player will perform or not. Makes it tough for the player and the team. I wish that rule would change.

It sounds like a big rivalry that the WHL has with the NCAA If you play a exhibition game your done in the NCAA. If you sign your done in the NCAA. So what better way to keep players committed to a team than get them to play 1 game or sign a contract. It basically closes a door for that kid. My guess is they asked him to sign, asked him to play exhibition games, and when his advisor said they want guaranteed spot on the team or they wouldn't sign the Blades released him. Same thing happened in Brandon from what I hear. I was told he looked good at training camp he just needed to move the puck more. The same comments were made about Sam Steele in Regina's camp. The comment was that he was trying to do too much. (Read Regina's training camp report/Comments)

It's to bad WHL teams can't play guys in exhibition games without them loosing their NCAA eligibility. Game situations are the only real way to tell if a player will perform or not. Makes it tough for the player and the team. I wish that rule would change.

I don't think Boutin was that good in camp. One play I remember, he had the puck in neutral zone & carried it back into his own end. 2 players on other team followed him in, instead of chipping it out or rimming it around he tried to deke them & lost the puck. Scoring chance was the result.

Comparing him to Steele is a joke. Steele is a top player in his age group. Boutin not even close! Saying he needs to do this or do that more isn't them same. Boutin isn't good enough. Period!

As for the losing eligibility, that is NCAA rule so the whl has nothing to do with it. & if this union bs gains any ground, that should put the nail in the whl/NCAA issue. If they are in a union & paid more, they can't be classed as a student athlete! Don't get me started.........end of rant!

whats this union stuff...I haven't heard about it

And I wasn't comparing the Boutin to Steele. No where in my post did I say that Boutin was better than Steele. Read my comment. I said that comment were made and Regina's camp that Steele was trying to do to much on his own which also didn't turn out well for him. Players will do this at tryout camp to get noticed and stuff. doesn't mean they will do it in a game.

And I wasn't comparing the Boutin to Steele. No where in my post did I say that Boutin was better than Steele. Read my comment. I said that comment were made and Regina's camp that Steele was trying to do to much on his own which also didn't turn out well for him. Players will do this at tryout camp to get noticed and stuff. doesn't mean they will do it in a game.
    You said Boutin was trying to do to much like what people thought Steele was doing. Who said Boutin did much of anything, little own stand out. He didnt do much in a game against his peers! So why would you expect him to be any better in games against other teams? He played in 4 games, they didnt base him being cut just on training camp practices. How didn't it turn out well for Steele? There's a difference between being a skilled player trying to impress & borde-line player trying out. With Steele, maybe nerves came into play, but still made plays to impress people. Boutin doesn't have that & didn't make much of an impression.

I didn't say Boutin was trying to do to much. Learn to read English. I said comments were made about him not moving the puck and that he was trying to do too much. ( read the posts on here from the start of the thread). Lots of people made comment that he was looking good. Lol. All of a sudden he's cut and you seem to think he isn't a skilled player. It sounds to me like your just a mad fan that likes to bash players.

I didn't say Boutin was trying to do to much. Learn to read English. I said comments were made about him not moving the puck and that he was trying to do too much. ( read the posts on here from the start of the thread). Lots of people made comment that he was looking good. Lol. All of a sudden he's cut and you seem to think he isn't a skilled player. It sounds to me like your just a mad fan that likes to bash players.
    Find these "comments" that people said he looked good. Find comments I made that bash players, i dont get personal, I say what I seen. Sounds like your his buddy or family. Bottom line he's not good enough right now. Brandon thought the same too.

So you basing your post on what people said about Steele & what some people said about Boutin. Then you correlate that cuz Steele needed to try not to do so much too Boutin needing to move the puck more? My English is alright but don't get the connection there. Boutin's problem wasn't needing to move the puck more. Did you see any intersquad games or the blue & white game? He only stood out cuz he had green gear.

Think the whole point of this site is state ones option of players. That's what I did!

Did you read back like I suggested? Let me make it easy for you. Its on page 1.
    "Only saw him once but I was impressed. Good skater and aggressive. See how he does in pre season"

next quote
    "Hey looked ok for me as well. Like Trav said earlier, he was wearing green pants so he was easy to spot. So many players to watch, and really not that many spots available so it's hard to tell sometimes. I find myself having to curb my excitement."