Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Opening Weekend Series vs BRN

Unlike most teams, our youth is already a notable part of the overall result, especially if we release one of the current 20s to maybe make room for one on the back end. Right now, barring any trades, we will only have Gay and Hunt left up front next year(and maybe only one of them with other overagers competing) after the 94s graduate, and then two guys on the bubble that this team might not be big enough for both. These young guys are the rest of the team, and they'll have to grow up quick.

I'm not a "smart" hockey fan. Never played the game (except on the street), and I don't even watch the NHL product very often. I do attend a lot of Pats games though. Game atmosphere was better than usual before the puck dropped, I think the new regime is trying to be more fan-friendly. It worked, kinda. One of you guys can tell me if my observations hold up, but this is what I see:

Lack of finish around the goal was problematic, and too many penalties cost the Pats big. Watching the warmup it was obvious that Brandon had a lot of size on the Pats and over the course of the game this is something that matters. I saw some good things from the young players, but I worry about learning and development if 6-1 is going to be a normal score and they get psychologically beat up. Our 20-year old situation doesn't look great to me, I only see one guy who I think will be an impact player. I guess we got to the place we are in by trading draft picks for Martin Marincin, Carter Ashton, and a bunch of guys who were a little better than the guys who they replaced but didn't help us much overall, so I don't expect any kind of quick fix. The current squad just needs to play better.

This team also really misses a Dyson Stevenson, Garrett Mitchell, Shayne Neigum kind-of-player. A guy who scores goals and drops the gloves. I hope one emerges.

Default Weekend Series Overview

The Weekend Series:

Game #1 could of went either way pending some breaks etc.
    I think some of the Pats play a 200 foot game and competed very well but too many floaters and guys over handling pucks and selfish play etc.

Hunt does NOT have it figured out yet in WHL a good player but if he moved the puck/passed to line-mates he would be twice the player he is and put up a lot of points!

The guys that play feisty were Christopher, Cole, McCammond, & Damico and they led the way finishing checks and battling every shift in series!

Smith worked hard and did well in fight but needs 1 more year of AAA midget this year and come back next season ready to go! Not sure why he is even on the Power Play?

Game #2 no chemistry on the ice with so called forward go to guys. The defence got exposed big time with mental mistakes and not battling hard enough in corners or in front of net and way..... to NICE all over the ice!

I think many of the older guys roles are mixed up right now but coaching staff will get it figured out. We may see younger crop taking over in depth chart from what I have seen to-date as I see a lot of little things improving with younger talent game by game!

Paddock looked like he benched players and will not put up with bull****.
    There may be changes made shortly to this roster....... as much as players are reading staff the staff are reading players!

It will be interesting to see what changes may or could happen and looks like we are really showcasing the 19-20 players game by game to likely try and move a few players.

How is Klimmer doing with FLAMES?

Its a new Pats week.

Quote Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
    I'm not a "smart" hockey fan. Never played the game (except on the street), and I don't even watch the NHL product very often. I do attend a lot of Pats games though. Game atmosphere was better than usual before the puck dropped, I think the new regime is trying to be more fan-friendly. It worked, kinda. One of you guys can tell me if my observations hold up, but this is what I see:

Lack of finish around the goal was problematic, and too many penalties cost the Pats big. Watching the warmup it was obvious that Brandon had a lot of size on the Pats and over the course of the game this is something that matters. I saw some good things from the young players, but I worry about learning and development if 6-1 is going to be a normal score and they get psychologically beat up. Our 20-year old situation doesn't look great to me, I only see one guy who I think will be an impact player. I guess we got to the place we are in by trading draft picks for Martin Marincin, Carter Ashton, and a bunch of guys who were a little better than the guys who they replaced but didn't help us much overall, so I don't expect any kind of quick fix. The current squad just needs to play better.

This team also really misses a Dyson Stevenson, Garrett Mitchell, Shayne Neigum kind-of-player. A guy who scores goals and drops the gloves. I hope one emerges.
    Welcome aboard man Wow you got a pretty good handle on what has and what is occurring on ice. Size is an area they have been trying to upgrade. Trading a ton of draft picks away has hurt a lot. Failing to move assets when they should have also hurt. A real bad 2011 draft and a few very bad trades shave also taken their toll. Previous ownership/management were all about the here and now, with little regard to the future. There will be a few hiccups getting a balance back. And yes we need everyone to play better.
    Last edited by chopper; 09-22-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: type-o

Geez………the Blades trading Sherback!! Does that set a precedent regarding Klimchuk? It does seem to peg a current market value….thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Geez………the Blades trading Sherback!! Does that set a precedent regarding Klimchuk? It does seem to peg a current market value….thoughts?
    Two high picks and a guy who can join the roster seems like a good price for a guy like Kilmchuk. Klimchuk is a bit older, but doesn't use an import spot so that will shift values a little bit. Does anyone buy the line that there wasn't a very good market for Jordan Weal a couple of years ago? I understand Weal had some baggage, but he was an excellent junior player.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
    Two high picks and a guy who can join the roster seems like a good price for a guy like Kilmchuk.
    What you guys really need is to beef up your 1996 age group. Ship off 1/2 a season of Klimchuck for a couple solid 18 year olds who will be around or 2-3 years - stick as 20 year olds in 2016-17. Lethbridge, Calgary, Spokane and Brandon all have surplus of 1996 born players. It might not sound sexy, but it might be the best play.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternHockeyScout;197498[B
    ]What you guys really need is to beef up your 1996 age group. Ship off 1/2 a season of Klimchuck for a couple solid 18 year olds who will be around or 2-3 years [/B]- stick as 20 year olds in 2016-17. Lethbridge, Calgary, Spokane and Brandon all have surplus of 1996 born players. It might not sound sexy, but it might be the best play.

that would be the stupidest thing we could do with Klimchuk, that doesn't make us better long term that is a short term fix and that is the Parker's way we are trying to put that behind us not keep it going.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    that would be the stupidest thing we could do with Klimchuk, that doesn't make us better long term that is a short term fix and that is the Parker's way we are trying to put that behind us not keep it going.
    2016-17 is short term? Leading this rebuild over the next 3 years is short term? OK.