Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Opening Weekend Series vs BRN

Iconwhl

hahaah just cause I defend a guy doesn't mean im a big fan of his, he has improved a lot over the 2 seasons he has played on the team. I threw in Point as its a perfect example of a very good player who plays on a crappy team and his +/- reflects it.

Your comment was childish there was no question about it and I called you out on it. I have a lot of respect for you from our PMs we have had over the last year but that comment was very childish and not expecting that from you on here. Just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean im wrong or you are right. But yes lets just stop keeping score too right
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Iconwhl

here is an article any of you may want to read about just how horse sh*t that +/- stat truly is... and no its not just me who thinks this, this is actual hockey minds out there players, coaches, GM's

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...us-minus-stat/

ive read this before and I was in full support of it when I first read and still am to this day

here is one quote just a few lines into the entire article that is nothing but the truth....

One major and recurring criticism has been voiced since the stat became an official NHL number in 1967, namely that a good player who is surrounded by weak players will likely have a poor plus-minus number through little fault of his own, while a weaker player who is surrounded by strong players will have a good plus-minus number through little credit to himself.

here is one more statement as well which is 100% bang on...

On goals against, team derived plus-minus systems are even less fair and accurate. Half of the minus marks on goals against are handed out to players who make a major or minor mistake on the goal against, but half of the minus marks go to players who either had no impact on the play or were doing their job defensively but nonetheless are assigned a minus mark due to an erring teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    hahaah just cause I defend a guy doesn't mean im a big fan of his, he has improved a lot over the 2 seasons he has played on the team. I threw in Point as its a perfect example of a very good player who plays on a crappy team and his +/- reflects it.

Your comment was childish there was no question about it and I called you out on it. I have a lot of respect for you from our PMs we have had over the last year but that comment was very childish and not expecting that from you on here. Just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean im wrong or you are right. But yes lets just stop keeping score too right
    Actually you should read your comment. Your opinion is solely your own ridiculous interpretation of something you don't understand. I don't need to call you out, I already know what you are.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Actually you should read your comment. Your opinion is solely your own ridiculous interpretation of something you don't understand. I don't need to call you out, I already know what you are.

oh I understand it fully and my views on it is proven in an article I posted for you to read. You have that old school mentality which wont allow you to adapt to new ways and be open to the possibility that a system is very flawed. That article I posted you should most definitely read but I can see already that your too closed minded to see the flaws in the system even when there are great points made out where the flaws are.... but I guess who am I say anything when NHL players/coaches & GMs all agree with the flaws in the system but yet I don't know anything I know lol

Anyways its easy to see we will never agree on the +/- system as you think its bullet proof and I think its flawed. So its easy to say just to move on.

oh I understand it fully and my views on it is proven in an article I posted for you to read. You have that old school mentality which wont allow you to adapt to new ways and be open to the possibility that a system is very flawed. That article I posted you should most definitely read but I can see already that your too closed minded to see the flaws in the system even when there are great points made out where the flaws are.... but I guess who am I say anything when NHL players/coaches & GMs all agree with the flaws in the system but yet I don't know anything I know lol

Anyways its easy to see we will never agree on the +/- system as you think its bullet proof and I think its flawed. So its easy to say just to move on.
    Please move anywhere you want! The system is so flawed that the NHL and others have changed it right? Oh no I guess they didn't! There had to be a reason why they award the Frank Selke trophy. Amazingly this trophy is selected by hockey writers across North America. There are always some coaches etc who disagree with something. They didn't like the old Montreal Canadian rule, or the Edmonton Oiler rule either.

I have forgotten more about this game than you will ever know. Be sure you email the NHL and WHL to let them know you disagree with the hockey system here. I know where my old school mentality got me. Where did your new avant garde' mentality get you?

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Please move anywhere you want! The system is so flawed that the NHL and others have changed it right? Oh no I guess they didn't! There had to be a reason why they award the Frank Selke trophy. Amazingly this trophy is selected by hockey writers across North America. There are always some coaches etc who disagree with something. They didn't like the old Montreal Canadian rule, or the Edmonton Oiler rule either.

I have forgotten more about this game than you will ever know. Be sure you email the NHL and WHL to let them know you disagree with the hockey system here. I know where my old school mentality got me. Where did your new avant garde' mentality get you?

LMFAO guess cant have a conversation/debate about hockey with you

But like I said we wont agree on this so be it doesn't make either one of us right or wrong lmao

LMFAO guess cant have a conversation/debate about hockey with you

But like I said we wont agree on this so be it doesn't make either one of us right or wrong lmao
    Don't worry bro, I was messin with you. You can call me pm or call any time

^I think its clear to most reasonable people what the facts are...but sometimes it seems the only way to end an argument is to let the other party think they won.

...but this is only the first home game of the season, against one of the top teams who are definitely in our heads. And we certainly weren't going to get any 'help' in this one. Too early to get this frantic. Its a rocky start but whether its now or later, there is going to be a point where they have to make adjustments. That's what a developmental league is all about.

That being said, I bet we make a couple moves regardless how we do. If the coach from last year is gone after a decent regular season, you can imagine the same might apply to the guys on the ice who make things happen. And I don't think Williams is going anywhere...home town notwithstanding.

Well I like the discussion going on lol. Ok Williams fault is he is too small and weak, and he needs to use his speed to cut off defenders. Williams would make a good 4th dman.

After reading the Lp and Paddock's comments, it's reassuring that he will be dealing with the teams lack of discipline. He suggested that was the way things were in the past. He also said he will correct it one way or another.

Last season we had penalty numbers that were right near the top of the league while having a PK that was near the bottom. Not a good combination. As far as age we are in the middle of the pack so we are not exceptionally young. In fact Brandon is a bit younger.

Paddock wasn't buying the assumption that we are an overly young team thus the mistakes were inevitable and acceptable. I think he will demand accountability from both the younger and older players. You could sense he wasn't happy with the embarrassment.

I sense some fans are under the illusion we are an extremely young team ( 9 teams younger I recall), and are all too anxious to hand out the excuse card already. Thankfully Paddock isn't and I expect he will want and demand a better effort than we seen.