Thread: Pats acquire Padakin from Hitmen

Default Pats acquire Padakin from Hitmen

http://reginapats.com/article/pats-a...n-from-calgary

Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Head Coach and Senior VP of Hockey Operations John Paddock announced today the team has acquired over-age import forward Pavel Padakin from the Calgary Hitmen in exchange for a 2017 3rd Round WHL Bantam Draft pick.

A native of Kiev, Ukraine, Padakin suited up in 137 games for the Hitmen since the 2012-13 season. Padakin scored the 50th goal of his career last weekend and has 93 points (50G, 43A) in his WHL career. Padakin plays with some edge having picked up 144 penalty minutes over the past two seasons. He also features 18 games of playoff experience, registering six points (1G, 5A) in those games.

The 6’0”, 204 lbs. right winger just returned from Calgary Flames Training Camp and was also invited to their development camp in 2013 and 2014. Internationally, Padakin has been a member of the Ukrainian U18, U20 and Men’s National Team.

“He’s a player that has produced more every year,” commented John Paddock. “Calgary had an excess of Europeans and twenty year olds. For the short haul, this season and a little bit with the way we started we felt it was a reasonably priced acquisition to give us a boost.”

The Regina Pats also announced the release of import forward Maximilian Kammerer (’96). The German forward was a 2nd Round pick of the Blue and White in the 2013 CHL Import Draft and played for Team Germany at last year’s World Junior Championship. The Pats thank Max for his contributions to the team and wish him the best going forward.

The Blue and White return to action Friday night against the Moose Jaw Warriors at Mosaic Place. The road game can be heard on Home Depot Pats Hockey on 620 CKRM starting at 6:35 p.m.

He is a double spot I still like this as we can play more younger players. He plays with an edge and makes us bigger. The down side we do not have a lot of draft picks to be trading away but this move could be a good one.

Iconwhl

This is a deal I was hoping to see happen as soon as Padakin was returned to the Hitmen after his tryout in the Flames rookie camp.

Letting Kammerer go does not hurt my feelings one bit I said during training camp that he was still nothing special and I stand by that today still.

Now we need to get rid of (1) 20yr old and I believe the date for that is Oct 2nd (but could be wrong) I think McVeigh will be the odd man out be it a trade or release, he is just such a soft player and D'Amico brings more then McVeigh does imo
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Now we need to get rid of (1) 20yr old and I believe the date for that is Oct 2nd (but could be wrong) I think McVeigh will be the odd man out be it a trade or release, he is just such a soft player and D'Amico brings more then McVeigh does imo
    McVeigh was wearing an A in the first 2 games. Maybe he provides leadership that we don't see? It will be interesting to say the least.

I spoke to a Calgary scout about their overages and he said Padakin was the likely odd man out, and Regina was a likely destination. I'm glad it happened. The other guy I posted about was Wardley but that may not happen though heaven know we need one like him.

I think this may give Steel someone to work with in the event that Klimchuk doesn't return or is moved. He will no doubt be moved at some point but a line with Padakin and one with Klimchuk will give us some firepower at least in the short term.

When a returning import and a young guy sits out the first two games, the outlook wasn't too good. All in all this was a decent move. Upgraded our 20 and import spots with one move. I get a sense they may be looking at something on the back end too.

I don't see klimchuck moving any time soon with this acquisition, we now have 3 very capable lines when klimchuck returns with a decent 4th. On the 20 yr front I think d'amico is the odd man out. We have to many similar players. Trading a 3rd away tells me the pats think they can be competitive this year and there not done trading.

Seen Padakin coming from a mile away. Good pick up.

Personally I'd pick D'Amico over McVeigh. McVeighs been a ghost out there. We could lose both and it wouldn't hurt my feelings... and If we do pick up another 20 year old. Let's hope it's a defense by the name of Wardley (or Bell).

To me as an outsider, the padakin deal seems cheap compared to Scherbak. Both players are a 1 year rental, except Sherbak is likely going to miss games wjile at WJ as well. regina paid a 3rd round, while Everett paid a good goalie, a 1st and a 2nd. No doubt Sherbak is the better player, but I think padakin was the better deal.....
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Padakin is a good pick up for Regina,really good player,been watching him for the last couple years here in Calgary,odd man out for the Hitmen as they are really high on Karnaukhov...Good luck in Regina