Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pats vs KOO & TC

Iconwhl Pats vs KOO & TC

A quick comment after the 1st period.....

The worst 5on3 powerplay setup I've ever seen, all 5 players on the outside and spread out like it's even strength. We have a lot of work to do and that includes the coaching staff.

Both 19yr old Dmen looked terrible on KOO 1st goal especially Burroughs leaving not much option for Williams but he still looked bad on it as well.

After being outshot 6-0 we followed it up out shooting them 14-3 from that point on.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Don;t know if Burroughs is just trying to do too much or if it's training camp hangover but, he has been pulling "Williams" on us the past few games. Very frustrating watching you're most veteran Dman making some of the biggest mistakes or lazy plays the past few games. Really irritating.

Not much else to say right now. Will just say that this has got to be the most exciting hockey we've seen in over 15 years. Could argue the Eberle era was good, but they didn't play the most exciting brand with great players. Has also been a real eye opener to Cameron's firing. I think we were just that blinded last season with the complete change in game. This season it's the same thing, except it's a huge improvement from last season even. I finally noticed one big thing this game, that being the Pats rarely EVER sit behind their net to set up a play. It's fast pace, turn around, get the puck back up the ice. THANK YOU PADDOCK!!! Also, just all around, the Pats look way more organized than they have since probably Bob Lowes was coaching. Brooks is really starting to shine too.

Lots of other good things too.

Iconwhl

I was the first guy to bash Brooks on a regular basis and I'm glad he is proving me wrong finally. He is getting a chance to be more offensive under Paddock and it's nice to see him excelling fjnally, hope he can keep it up all season long.

Burroughs tonight was flat out terrible I will cut him abit of slack on 2 goals given up outbid the 3 though. The one on the rush on the PP in the 2nd period the forward who is suppose to help hold the redline was no where to be found as he got caught flat footed at the redline then the other goal after Burroughs blocked a shot he couldn't recover in time. But even on those goals it wasn't like he was playing the way he needs to as a vet Dman and a guy we depend on.

We had 5 right handed Dmen in the line up tonight that is not good numbers by any means be nice if we could trade one for another left handed guy. Anyone else notice that early hit by Christoffer on Loschiavo knocked him out for the rest of the game. Not sure if he sat on the bench the rest of the game but he didn't play again. It was a very solid check in sure most guys around the league know to keep their head up when Christoffer is on the ice.

Was an enjoyable game to watch tonight besides on 5on3 PP's sure we scored on 1 of those chances but we struggled to get quality chances and our setup on them sucks balls. I'm begining to wonder if Padakin even wants to be here, he has been a ghost in every game imo his 25goals last year is starting to make me wonder if its just a guy benefitting from playing on a great team. He's done nothing to impress me yet but still better then Kammerer at least Padakin gets his nose dirty abit n

Much like most I was concerned if Brooks was ever going to live up to billings. It's great he's starting to emerge as this is the age category we are having struggles with. Lets hope they can add some more, maybe some grit. Have I mentioned Carter Folk before..LOL

I have concerns with our defense as a whole. Maybe it's just me but I have concerns about Zabrovsky's game. None of our d-men were particularly good last night. Burroughs may have been the worst. He is a very good player but didn't have a strong game at all.

I've had my balloon bust with Padakin. I knew from a Calgary scout he was coming here but to date, I haven't marvelled at his game whatsoever. Maybe it will require a longer adjustment period but I agree, he seems to be a ghost at times. Lots of times.

I feel we need another strong d-man, a gritty forward and Klimchuk's return to the lineup. We seem to be able to score but keeping the puck out is a challenge. It was nice to see paddocks seems to be getting a handle on the penalties we're taking.

Burroughs is by far the best player on the team. He can have a bad night every once in a while, which isn't very often by the way. At his worst he is still the best. Williams(who I think has been playing very good) had an off night as well which compounds the problem. They will be fine the next game IMO. Too much bandwagon jumping lol. I think its impressive that with this young of a team and the amount of rookies and ice time that they are playing that the Pats are 4-2-0-1. Are they a first place team... no, are they a very respectable middle of the pack team... definitely, and as I said with Smith, McCammond, Cole, Zborovsky, Hilsendager, Steel, and Kroeker being raw rookies, and Wagner, Reagan, Zimmer, Harrison, and even Brooks(for two years) not getting ice time last year, this team most nights is half inexperienced players. That is impressive and the coaching staff should be applauded and these players should only get better. Yes the schedule gets tougher but they are also gaining confidence as a team, and seam to be having fun out there, which is SO important. If teams play a skating open ice game against the Pats they are a handful and they are certainly enjoyable to watch as the Pats are a fair size and have speed that will burn you.

Will be interesting to see when and if a trade happens to fill the holes that the coaching staff see's. That is the real question?

Iconwhl

It's not band waging jumping when we point out things the team/players are not doing right. Yes everyone has a bad game and last nights was Burroughs worst since he was 16. I want to say more but it's back to work.

To add alittle more since I got more time now......

Last night was talking to this regular scout who has sat a few seats away for the each home game this year, he told me he really likes Zborovskiy game all around and that he will only get better under Paddock. I have liked everything about Seregy's game since I 1st saw him in camp, I mean what isn't there to like he skates well, moves the puck extremely well, isn't afraid to use his body in a physical way plus likes to jump into the play. I do believe he will be a 3rd or 4th round pick in this years coming draft.

If Wagner could find a scoring touch he could be a late round pick as well he skates very well and has size
    Last edited by patsdude114; 10-09-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Default By the numbers

Just to get the facts correct:
    IMO the Pats hockey operations, ownership and to some extent the media are slightly misleading;
    The pats average age is 18.12 and there are 14 WHL clubs with an average age the same ( 1 team) or younger. That average is with 4 20 year olds so we end up in the middle of the pack after the extra 20 is moved.
    The WHL define a rookie as less the 25 games experience and the Pats have 9 this season 13 teams have fewer and 8 have more. again middle of the pack. Interesting Brandon has 11 rookies.
    The Pats have 2 - 16 year olds and 9 teams have more 16s and of note Brandon has 5.
    When the 16s and 17s are added together the number is 11 and only 7 teams are equal or more than the Pats.
    Having done all that the old addage "figures lie and liers figure"
    I will let others comment about these numbers but this team is not as young as some want us to believe but we do lack experience

tonight the team was out goal tended in the first and third period and out hustled and out battled in the second.
    entertained tonight and was a treat to see Comrie he is an elite tender.

Iconwhl

Outside of the first period we didn't show a whole lot in terms of offense. Comire just had to be avg, he made a good save on Wagner's breakaway but Wagner has very little finish ability and Comrie made it look easy. The Gay cross crease one timer Comrie read before the pass was even made from Kroeker as Kroeker for himself too deep and had no other option as Comrie was over to Gay before the puck even got there which made for an easy save.

I thought our forwards really struggled with TC big Dmen, Hamonic is the exact type of Dman we need but those types are not given away and cost a lot to get.

All in all was still a very entertaining hockey game tonight just ended up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

One quick note/opinion I really like Kroeker and think he is going to be a real solid player but he always seems to be a second behind Hunt. Kroeker also needs to get a lot stronger as he eats pushed off the puck very easily. Ok one more thing..... I think it's time Paddock switched up the top 2 lines abit as they haven't done much the past few games imo

The 1st requirement to win a hockey game is winning the little hockey battles along the wall. We didn't do much of that and it wasn't just the younger players. TC won most of the battles tonight. Whoever controls the walls usually controls and wins the games.

Gay was purple panther pi_s poor tonight. We NEED a big tough d-man, plain and simple. We have become far too cute and good coaches just destroy that. Trying to make 50 ft passes when little chips off the wall are what's needed. We forced passes all night long.

TC chipped the puck out and clogged up the middle neutralizing our speed game. Paddock better remind them to stop being too cute and make the simple plays, and start working much harder. They are starting to think they're the old Edmonton Oilers. They're not!

TC plays much like we did last year, but they're a lot bigger. Last year we could count on Stevenson/Stephenson to control the boards. We don't have anyone yet who has emerged in that role. We need to play a lot tougher and grittier to go with the speed.

Some people I sit around are suggesting Wapple's play has dropped this season. Not the same fire or drive? I wonder about FUHR's situation with the club if Wapple falters. Williamson figured us out real quick and we had no response.

Paddock learned tonight you can't play run and gun every night and be successful. We need to get back to a bit more of a smash mouth brand of hockey. That will allow our speed to be a bigger factor. Tonight it wasn't.