Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Line Combos and Defence

We are too small on the backend either Williams or Burroughs has to be traded. Williams is not strong enough to knock anyone off the puck. He is a decent d man but we have too many similar guys and to me would be the one moved unless you plan on keeping him as a 20 next then you have to move Burroughs. Wagner is getting closer each game at least he made the goalie make saves last nite lol. With a couple of moves we will be right there, just some tinkering. Most important is a big mobile dman. It will cost us but we have assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Chopper:

Steel or Klimmer did not get abused. Hitting is still allowed in hockey.

- We have to score even strength goals along with Power play goals.
    - If you do not score 3-5 goals a night you don't deserve to win in this league or any league.
    - Time to explore some options as I believe we have guys being under utilized on front end. Give the young gunners ic time for a month and evaluate report card...I think our record would be as good or better!
    - Christopher gets demoted to 3rd line?
    - Zborovsky is tired and needs a break. Turnover after turnover
    - Centre support is aweful on breakout

Defensively, we have top 3
    Burroughs/Williams Harrison
    Other need more experience and we need 1 more d man that can play shutdown role somewhat or a ng season or bite bullet and play to gain experience.

Christopher and Cole are the only players hat finish checks on this team right now as forwards.

On defence its hit and miss and seen some games that are d punish by right now way too nice!
    I agree with lot of what your saying but do you really think this team is deep enough to score 3-5 goals each night? I have been saying for months now that we need defensive help. We also need a tough gritty winger(s) because we are not winning enough battles in the offensive zone. You win or lose games along the wall. If we keep trying to score off the rush then 1 or 2 goals per game will be the norm. Not having a stout d-man is one of the reasons the PK is so poor.

So far this season I've watched every game home and away. Steel and other rookies have been abused. Steel a bit more than others. No WINNING team allows it's 16 year old to be abused plain and simple. If you do they will start to back off. Absolutely guaranteed. Steel took uncalled for crap last night as did Klimchuk. You don't let the stars get the business or soon they will be hurt, and you'll be out of business. By the 3rd period Klimchuk was completely perimeter. That whole line was useless. Portland had it figured out.

Young players and young stars need to be an asset that's looked after. Last year nobody dared touch Barzal in Seattle or you would be dealing with Hickman, Yakabowski or Wardley. You get the picture? In any successful business you look after your assets.

I have no problem with a kid being hit cleanly but there are hits, and then there are hits. There are some rules and understandings out there on the ice that some teams don't adhere to. That's when a youngster has to know somebody has his back.

I think there will be a lot of nights full of frustration with a younger inexperienced team. If management is committed to going this way then we have to adapt. The will likely be under .500 overall and miss the layoffs. I just hope the assets are protected.

Iconwhl

I have said all along this team will struggle to make the playoffs and we would fight til the final month for the 8th seed..... Now yes I know I said this before the playoff format was changed but it is still adaptable to even the current format.

Our biggest problem has been scoring te defense hasn't been that bad at all, we lack finish and Padakin was suppose to help with that but my God has he been a pos pick up. He was definitely a player that benefitted from being in a strong cgy team last year.

We do need alittle more grit both on forward and defense, do we fill that need remains to be seen. Lethbridge has a lot of grit but no skill (cause they traded is all away) a small trade with them would make sense for us but I guess let's see what happens. Paddock has said from day 1 he is here in junior to develop kids so does he care for adding gritty guys not sure....
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Shooter: I agree that hitting is part of hockey but a crosscheck to the upper arm after the whistle is not. If the young players have to continue to take that abuse they regress and become timid perimeter players and the other teams win. It has been said here many times we don't need a goon but we do need some grit. Players that have the talent to play in the league and are tough to play against and wil protect and defend their team mates. Those players are hard to find and carry a price tag. I think we missed one in Reid Duke and not sure if we are being proactive to find one. Maybe the Town Hall meeting will shed some light.

This weekend should be a good opportunity for the pats to get back above 500. They should be rested and a little home cooking should be good for the boys. I would like to see the coaching staff split up the D pairings and share the experience a little more evenly thoughout the pairings. Lets split up Bouroughs and Williams and put them with Reagan and Hilsendager. The older boys could help the younger boys out possitionally. It would spread out the ice time a little and would keep Borroughs and Williams from fatigueing in the late going and for the PP.

Quote Originally Posted by RWAH View Post
    Shooter: I agree that hitting is part of hockey but a crosscheck to the upper arm after the whistle is not. If the young players have to continue to take that abuse they regress and become timid perimeter players and the other teams win. It has been said here many times we don't need a goon but we do need some grit. Players that have the talent to play in the league and are tough to play against and wil protect and defend their team mates. Those players are hard to find and carry a price tag. I think we missed one in Reid Duke and not sure if we are being proactive to find one. Maybe the Town Hall meeting will shed some light.
    What exactly do you think the Town Hall meeting will shed some light on? I can't imagine they get into many details on players they are seeking. Too bad for Zimmer, I blame last years coaching staff including Chad Lang for his recent reassignment. If you keep a player in the WHL as a 16 year old, you don't sit him for 59 mins a night and you don't scratch him for as many games as possible. That drives the confidence down and is very hard for a young kid to deal with. With that said, he had to be the guy to go right now, unfortunately somewhat out of his control because of an extremely limited opportunity. There should be a WHL rule that 16 year olds must appear in 80% of games unless injured, that would force teams to use them or send them down where they will most likely develop better and come in with more confidence as a 17 year old. Most 16 year olds just aren't ready. I see the current roster staying in tact for a while unless we can unload Klimchuk for one or two current/future stars, Hansen may be in on the deal as well. Also, I hope he proves me wrong but I'd be tempted to move Reagan while he still has some value because I'm not seeing the upside a 2nd round pick should be showing at this point.

Iconwhl

the only match up Paddock has cared about is the D pairing of Williams and Burroughs against the other teams top line. They have both done a great job 5on5 at shutting teams top lines down. I don't see these guys getting split up any time soon either, like ive said before our defense isn't hurting us its our goal scoring ability (or lack there of) that is hurting us along with our horrid PK which has been a problem ever since Curtis Hunt was our coach so that's what 4-5yrs now with a brutal PK
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    I agree with lot of what your saying but do you really think this team is deep enough to score 3-5 goals each night? I have been saying for months now that we need defensive help. We also need a tough gritty winger(s) because we are not winning enough battles in the offensive zone. You win or lose games along the wall. If we keep trying to score off the rush then 1 or 2 goals per game will be the norm. Not having a stout d-man is one of the reasons the PK is so poor.

So far this season I've watched every game home and away. Steel and other rookies have been abused. Steel a bit more than others. No WINNING team allows it's 16 year old to be abused plain and simple. If you do they will start to back off. Absolutely guaranteed. Steel took uncalled for crap last night as did Klimchuk. You don't let the stars get the business or soon they will be hurt, and you'll be out of business. By the 3rd period Klimchuk was completely perimeter. That whole line was useless. Portland had it figured out.

Young players and young stars need to be an asset that's looked after. Last year nobody dared touch Barzal in Seattle or you would be dealing with Hickman, Yakabowski or Wardley. You get the picture? In any successful business you look after your assets.

I have no problem with a kid being hit cleanly but there are hits, and then there are hits. There are some rules and understandings out there on the ice that some teams don't adhere to. That's when a youngster has to know somebody has his back.

I think there will be a lot of nights full of frustration with a younger inexperienced team. If management is committed to going this way then we have to adapt. The will likely be under .500 overall and miss the layoffs. I just hope the assets are protected.
    If you think Steel and other rookies are being abused now, wait until things actually escalate and there is reason to be intimidated. There hasn't been much abuse yet at all but it will be coming as I agree we don't really have much ability to stop it. Smith is supposed to be one of our tough guys, that will be a lot of pressure on him and he might be able to fill that role for now but wait until 25 games in and see if he is still comfortable playing that style and dropping the mitts often when he is already sore and tired of being that guy. Cole sure plays with an edge and I'd be surprised if he's not leading the team in hits or right near the top, especially considering such limited ice time. He could be a guy to pair up with some skill and open up some ice. Unlucky bounce with puck sitting on goal line last game. Padakin was invisible again last game.

Krushen re-called.