Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Line Combos and Defence

With the 1-0 loss tonight, the team has scored 1 goal in two games, albeit against a couple good goalies. As an inexperienced team, the vets need to lead the way and they really haven't done in the last couple of games. Gay, Christopher and Hunt need to be better.

You can put Padakin in with that trio. I can't seem to put my finger on it but I sense that something's missing with our club. I don't feel we have a real identity if you will. We don't have that real leader or go-to guy I don't sense. Maybe it's just my take.

We're not overly gritty, overly offensive, or overly big, and it seems at times we play just well enough to lose. Maybe we try to be too cute when we should be crashing and banging a bit more. I have long felt there are some components missing.

Perhaps we need a gritty forward who can control the boards better than we are now. Maybe a rugged d-man to create a little fear on our back end. I'm sure it will get sorted out in due course. I believe we will still see a couple course corrections made.

Were too cute, trying to make to perfect pass. Klimchuck will help when he gets back tomorrow.

Iconwhl

After watching that game last night I think our biggest problem is we just don't bear down enough around the net. Padakin hits the post on a wide open net, Wagner fans on a high slot one timer when he has tons of time and space to move in more, Hunt and Gay fire quality scoring chances high or wide.

We deserved a better fate last night, we controlled that game basically from puck drop, our PK was good sure they scored on the PP but outside of that long floater where Wapple was screened our PK did a great job. Burroughs and Williams shut down Descheneau and made his night very frustrating, that D pairing made up for the last time we played KOO

Any idea on why Zimmer hasn't been playing? He scores his 1st career goal in a come back win in PA and hasn't seen game action since. It hasn't been like we are playing lights out hockey to not get him into the lineup.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Default He has a history of a bad back?

He has a history of a bad back?

Default Agree with Patsdude about net

They out skated kootney badly. They played good defense but nobody went to the net. All shots where from the outside. The 19 and 20s are not playing the kind of hockey they need too. Too Cranbrooks credit they got sticks in lanes and deflected a ton of passes ie Wagners one time, hunt cross ice, kroekers lower slot. They need to be driving the net creating chances. In the offensive zone perhaps try cycling the puck and not be adverse to actually going in the corner when that opportunity is there on the cycle, brooks damico wagner did it. No one else. Watching the pp is painful. No one in front of the net which draws the d or forwards inside to protect against inside shots. The peripheral play only allows cross ice plays which the ice got sticks in those lanes. Just an idea but put Smith in front of the net. Big kid. Was huge when compared to players on the ice in cranbrook. I like the fact that coaching is basically rolling the lines. Players are getting better as a team but that also perhaps limits the scoring at times. If you watched them live last year it was a two line team, especially on the road where 3 and 4th lines basically would get 4-5 shifts a game. I watch a few teams on the road and Regina was the worst for two line playing. This will pay off in the long run. Think you may see line combos changed soon.

Not impressed with the Steel, Klimchuk, and whoever. the line was wasting opportunities trying to be to cute and were very week in the D zone. If any one is doing Corsie (spelling) stats, I thought the time spent in the D zone and N zone was 2 to 1 to time in the O zone. On another note after the play at the side of Portland goal Steel was crosschecked cross the upper arm and not one of our guys responded. Im with Chopper we need to get tougher'
    One of the observation from "the Dub From Above" is the team that are consistent in lines and pairing are more successful than the teams that keep changing.

Iconwhl

Can't go running to protect steel everytime someone breathes on him, he has to learn to take the odd jab. Look at petan and de Leo they took some shots after the whistle and they gave it right back too, you didn't see a teammate coming to their rescue. I know exactly what play your talking about too Cedholm gave him a some what harmless shot after the whistle and steel looked at the ref right away. As much as I love steels game he is going to have to get tougher and not look at every little thing as a penalty to the ref.

About the game tonight though we out chances Portland all night long we just lack finish especially Wagner, this guy could have 10 goals this year already but he can't finish. Outside of the goals Portland actually scored they had very little threat during the game but you can tell they have been a top team for the last 4yrs cause when they get a chance they actually score.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Interesting game last night. Played a perimeter game for the most part, shooting from every bad angle we could. Only about 3 or 4 grade "A" chances. Wagner's don't count! Didn't win many battles along the boards. Gay, Padakin and Hanson pretty much invisible.

You won't win many games exchanging chances with Portland. They have as good or better speed than us however their talent is much better. We keep trying to score off the rush and it's not happening. We need better work along the wall. Win the boards man!

Smith, Cole, and McAmmmond were our best physical line all nite. They got a couple decent chances because of it. Steel got abused somewhat last night and he got how many points? He also knows there is nobody on his line or this team who will likely step up.

Teams know if you push Steel and Klimchuk around, you've got the Pats half beaten already. Add another softy like Padakin on that line and play them physical, and you got nothing. They can play looesy goosey evey night and all it will amount to is losses.

Close counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, not sport. We need a rugged winger and d-man. We also need to develop and identity which we don't have now. Our last three losses were on the special teams. You can't win anything with the worst PK in the league.

We're trying to play a skill game with some not so skilled guys. We will never be able to score the way Portland can and has. We need to use our speed game and integrate with some puck possession in the O-zone. Paddock has also got to fix special teams.

I agree that the fourth line was effective. Portland put on a physical push and there was little to no push back from the Pats. I am not saying they need a goon, just need to be more physical.

Not impressed with Gay's game. Total perimeter player and no board battle.
    Lots of guys that played OK but not great. Zborovsky struggled, but I thought that Hilsendanger has been playing well.

My shot at the lines:
    Klimchuck-Steel-Hunt (this line needs some grit)
    Padakin-D'Amico-Gay
    Christoffer-Brooks-Wagner (been the most consistant lately)
    Cole/Zimmer-Kroeker/Smith-McAmmond (I really like Kroeker, I think he has a huge upside)

Defensively, I think the top four are:
    Burroughs/Williams
    Harrison/Hilsendager

After the last couple of home games, I think that Zborovsky might need to sit out a couple of games, just to get the speed of the game.

I don't know how long they are going to continue with the Hanson experiment. I will give him credit, he seems to be willing to play anywhere. But, with his lack of experience on the backend, I just can't see him being a top 4 guy and he is taking icetime away from the younger guys.

Chopper:

Steel or Klimmer did not get abused. Hitting is still allowed in hockey.

- We have to score even strength goals along with Power play goals.
    - If you do not score 3-5 goals a night you don't deserve to win in this league or any league.
    - Time to explore some options as I believe we have guys being under utilized on front end. Give the young gunners ic time for a month and evaluate report card...I think our record would be as good or better!
    - Christopher gets demoted to 3rd line?
    - Zborovsky is tired and needs a break. Turnover after turnover
    - Centre support is aweful on breakout

Defensively, we have top 3
    Burroughs/Williams Harrison
    Other need more experience and we need 1 more d man that can play shutdown role somewhat or a ng season or bite bullet and play to gain experience.

Christopher and Cole are the only players hat finish checks on this team right now as forwards.

On defence its hit and miss and seen some games that are d punish by right now way too nice!