Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

6 66.67%
  • no

3 33.33%

Thread: drop euros to one add extra 20

Default drop euros to one add extra 20

I think we should limit imports to one and add an extra 20 yr old . although with the NHL supplying farm teams with roster players most quality 20's are gone .
    GO WARRIORS GO

I don't really see why they would even need to drop a euro spot. They should really just add two overage spots.

Iconwhl

adding 1 or 2 overagers would just add to the quality of hockey we watch on a nightly basis.... sure we lose out on the quality of 20yr olds we see in the league now but just to have another older guy or 2 to add to the quality of hockey we watch on a nightly basis would be a great thing for the CHL in general
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Before they do any of this, they need to reverse that asinine rule about Europeans not being able to play goal.

Iconwhl

I actually have no problems at all with the euro rule of no more euro goalies, it was too easy for teams to just draft a goalie from over seas and never have to worry about developing a goalie from the bantam draft. It was a quick fix when you had nothing coming up, I bet Saskatoon wishes they could of drafted one to replace Makarov

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    I actually have no problems at all with the euro rule of no more euro goalies, it was too easy for teams to just draft a goalie from over seas and never have to worry about developing a goalie from the bantam draft. It was a quick fix when you had nothing coming up, I bet Saskatoon wishes they could of drafted one to replace Makarov
    Bringing in any player from overseas is as much of a crapshoot as drafting and developing one, if not moreso. There's no guarantee ever that any import will pan out. It was hardly some sort of magical "fix" to not having a homegrown goalie ready to step in. Some imports turn out and some don't; that's the nature of it.

European teams were putting about 500% more resources into developing their goaltenders than North American programs. And while the whole process of eliminating the import goaltenders from the CHL did come across as petty, so far it has had the desired effect of forcing North American teams to actually put some of their resources towards developing their goaltending.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Bringing in any player from overseas is as much of a crapshoot as drafting and developing one, if not moreso. There's no guarantee ever that any import will pan out. It was hardly some sort of magical "fix" to not having a homegrown goalie ready to step in. Some imports turn out and some don't; that's the nature of it.
    look at the euro goalies in recent years who have came over here to play they are considered elite goalies in our league and same can be said in the OHL as well... I don't follow the QMJHL so I cant comment out there.

Look at it this way there is only so many goalie spots on each team and when there are better goalies then the 1s we get over here they are still for better then 70% of the goalies on our teams. Its not hard to lure even a backup goalie from Europe to come play and be the starter here in the CHL...

Look at the goalies who have reported here to the WHL has any of them ever been sent back home? I cant think of 1 off the top of my head cause every one that has came here has become the starter and excelled here in the CHL.... goalies have less of a transition then the euro skaters have, they don't have to deal with the the stick work and other physical aspects that they don't tend to worry about when over in Europe. Goalies stop the puck it doesn't change no matter what size of ice they are on, I wish my Pats had drafted euro goalies on a regular basis

I can't, off the top of my head, think of a Euro goalie that came to the WHL and isn't in the NHL or starting in the AHL...

I'm a bias and love European hockey players so I'm against the notion to drop a euro player but would be in favor of adding another 20 year old to each roster to make the level of play better.