Thread: Sudbury Wolves trade Nick Baptiste to Erie Otters

Post Sudbury Wolves trade Nick Baptiste to Erie Otters

By Sunaya Sapurji

The deal was finally brokered when the Wolves sent the 19-year-old Buffalo Sabres prospect to the powerhouse Erie Otters. In exchange the Wolves received 19-year-old forward Travis Wood, 17-year-old defenceman Cole Mayo, two second round picks and two third round picks.

The Wolves with their 4-19 record get a nice young prospect in Mayo and some picks to rebuild for the future since this season is practically a write off.

The Otters, of course, get to add another impressive piece to an already stellar puzzle featuring the likes of Connor McDavid and Dyan Strome up front.

Three of Erie's forwards, McDavid, Strome and rookie Alex DeBrincat are all in the top five of league scoring and adding Baptiste to their arsenal is scary.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...233209873.html

Iconwhl

These types of trades happen all the time in the OHL cause they care about loading up a legit contender. I have heard there is a rule in place that prevents 1st round picks being traded, and that there is a certain time gap where this rule is lifted. I know you can not trade your recent 1st round draft pick for 1 year but there is actually a rule as well on the draft pick before the draft too. I am doing more digging to actually find out info on this rule and that its not just some rumour that I have heard.

Also about those picks that Sudbury got this is how the trade looks

SUDBURY TRADES
    Nick Baptiste

ERIE TRADES
    Cole Mayo
    Travis Wood
    2nd round pick 2015 (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds pick)
    3rd round pick 2015 (Belleville Bulls pick)
    3rd round pick 2018
    2nd round pick 2020

These types of trades happen all the time involving picks 2-4 years down the road in the OHL and they rarely ever include a 1st round pick (again more confirmation about a rule on no trading 1st round draft picks) not 1 trade this season in the OHL has involved a 1st round pick.

Here is another trade of an example in the OHL in how they run their franchises when it comes to trades.......

OWEN SOUND TRADES
    Victor Mete

LONDON TRADES
    3rd round pick 2015
    3rd round pick 2016
    2nd round pick 2017 (Mississauga Steelheads pick)
    6th round pick 2017 (conditional)
    2nd round pick 2018
    2nd round pick 2019

As you can see tons of picks being swapped could be up to 6 players involved but most of the valued picks are 3-4yrs away.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Iconwhl

So I done some digging emailed a couple OHL teams with a question regarding the 1st round picks in trades & they are not allowed to trade 1st round picks until the small window just before the draft opens up. The Windsor Spitfires were the only team that responded and they didn't say how long the window was.

I do think its a good rule to have in place as it always ensures elite talent is drafted to each franchise (baring a trade during the window gap). Being a Pats fan it sure would of been nice to have that rule in place during the Parker years lmao
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/