Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rebuild Begins...

Default The Rebuild Begins...

Well, I think the time has come where the Blades organization can no longer deny they’re in full rebuild mode. Hopefully after the break they start sitting some of their lazy vets and giving the young players more ice. I thought I’d have a little look see how their prospects are doing since the organization likes to beat their chest telling everyone how great they did in the last bantam draft. So, without further ado, let’s see how much further the ship may sink before it starts to right itself…

GOALTENDING

’97 Brock Hamm – Plays in the SJHL for the Humboldt Broncos (10th of 12 Teams)
    20 GP 9W 9L 2.76 GAA .917 SV%

’99 Dorrin Luding – Plays in BC Midget AAA League for the Cariboo Cougars (1st of 11 Teams)
    12 GP 10W 1L 1T 1.83 GAA

’99 Joel Gryzbowski - Plays in SK Midget AAA League for the Saskatoon Blazers (10th of 12 Teams)
    18 GP 6W 10L 2.87 GAA .921 SV%

DEFENSE

’97 Mackenzie Dwyer – Plays in MJHL for Portage Terriers (1st of 11 Teams; #1 Junior A Team in Canada)
    34 GP 4G 10A 14PTS 36 PIM

’98 Dean Stewart – Plays in MJHL for Portage Terriers (1st of 11 Teams; #1 Junior A Team in Canada)
    29 GP 1G 5A 6PTS 2PIM

’99 Alec Capstick – Plays in CSSHL for Yale Academy (2nd of 12 Teams)
    13 GP 4G 6A 10PTS 16PIM

’99 Jake Kustra – Plays in SK Midget AAA League for Notre Dame Argos (12th of 12 Teams)
    19 GP 2G 5A 7PTS 40PIM

’99 Xavier Labelle – Plays in SK Midget AAA League for Saskatoon Contacts (5th of 12 Teams)
    24 GP 0G 1A 1PTS 4PIM

FORWARDS

’96 Christian Hausinger – Plays in NAHL for Odessa (24th of 24 Teams)
    29 GP 2G 13A 15PTS 4PIM

’97 Tyler Jeanson – Plays in MJHL for Portage Terriers (1st of 11 Teams; #1 Junior A Team in Canada)
    37 GP 15G 22A 37 PTS 47 PIM

’98 Parker Smyth – Plays in AB Midget AAA League for Red Deer (15th of 18 Teams)
    21 GP 5G 6A 11PTS 20PIM

’98 Peter Tomaras – Plays in AB Midget AAA League for SSAC (6th of 18 Teams)
    8G 6A 14PTS 16 PIM

’99 Kris Bzdel – Plays in SK Midget AAA League for Tisdale (1st of 12 Teams)
    12 GP 4G 9A 13PTS 6PIM

’99 Logan Christensen – Plays in MB Midget AAA League for Pembina (7th of 12 Teams)
    24 GP 9G 10A 19PTS 8PIM

’99 Cam Hausinger – Plays in USPHL for Skipjack U16’s (10th of 16 Teams)
    14 GP 14G 17A 31PTS 36PIM

’99 Cole Kirkup – Plays in SK Midget AAA League for Notre Dame Hounds (3rd of 12 Teams)
    22 GP 6G 4A 10PTS 49PIM

’99 Lucus McKenzie – Plays in CSSHL for Edge U16 (3rd of 7 Teams)
    21 GP 4G 11A 15PTS 54PIM

’99 Josh Paterson – Plays in AB Midget AAA League for SSAC (6th of 18 Teams)
    - No current stats available as he is not in the top 30 in the league in any scoring stats
    - Listed by the Blades at 14 GP 6G 2A 8PTS earlier in season

’99 Jordan Robinson – Plays in CSSHL for OHA White (6th of 12 Teams)
    10 GP 6G 4 A 10PTS 6PIM

’99 Connor Tuffs – Plays in SK Midget AAA League for Tisdale (1st of 12 Teams)
    24GP 4G 8A 12 PTS 38 PIMS

Well I think that's it. Feel free to discuss/vent. This forum is dead compared to the other Eastern Division Teams...probably out of frustration and apathy at having the worst team in the league. I think events in Saskatoon will be interesting over the next 12-24 months regardless of the standings. Maybe they can set a new record for trades in the first week of the season, or useless marketing promotions, or some other dubious distinction.

I am a Pat fan and season ticket holder but offer this, which I read on "Stanks Sermon" blog by Darren Steinke At the trade deadline (January 10, 2013) the Blades did not have a first round pick for 2014, 15, and 16 and that the PPL and Roster on that date did not include any Blade first or second round picks from 2010, 11 or 12. The Blades got a double whammy when then went for it and the Schenn (sp) and other deals and then to host the M Cup two years latter. Since the M Cup host year (2013) the Blades have recouped and gained a lot of draft picks, specifically 2015 (2-1st) (1-2nd) and (3-3rd) in 2016 (1-1st) (2-2nd) and (1-3rd) and all the Blades 2017 early draft picks. With the prospects you listed and the coming drafts IMO the Blades will reach the bottom of the cycle next season and then begin a rapid climb to the elite teams.
    Unlike the Pats and the past owners, who continued to be buyers when they should have been sellers, your time at the bottom of the cycle will not last ten plus years.

The Blades have two 1st round picks in 2016, their own and Red Deer's

you are correct Trav, my mistake. I guess the point is the Blades were buyers twice and are now on a road to recover. The management started under Mulligan (sp) and continues under Woods to do it right. Unlike the Pats past owners the process for the Blades will only be 3 or 4 seasons back to the top (you are 2 in and 2 to go)). The Pats have been 11 or 12 and are still not there. IMO the Pats are still missing some draft picks in 2015 and 2016. If the Pats are sellers this season they may recoup the necessary picks and we will meet you as elite organizations in the 2016/17 season and beyond. IMO the Blades have turned it around and are on the upswing but it is junior hockey and it takes more than one season.

The draft picks are great...if they pan out. My concern looking at the prospect list and their achievements on paper, and cross-referencing that to what the club is putting on the ice now, is what we have to look forward to for the next couple of years. I'm not sure if next year or the year after will be the bottom of the cycle, but there is no doubt in my mind the Blades will be considerably worse next season than they are now. And I'm not sure Woods can go through that and keep his hand off his cell phone trying to make another Henry/Ottenbreit-type deal.

I remember in the pre-game show in SC last week, Lazaruk mentioned the Blades are looking to use some of these draft picks to acquire a '97 D and I think it was a '96 forward. I'm not sure about the forward, but I'm pretty sure they're drooling over Saskatoon-native Connor Hobbs, who still hasn't reconciled with the Tigers. Could be Reagan from the Pats as well, as he looks to have fallen out of favor with Paddock. Personally, I think the Blades are already plenty young on forward and in net. Defense is the only area lacking, with no '96s or '97s after the departure or Nogier.

Iconwhl

Me being a Pats fan I'm not too keen on Reagan myself, he lost ALOT of development under Cameron as he hardly played. I think a fresh start would be good for him I just wish he played more physical for his size. He has made progress this year though so who knows the book isn't out on him yet and come his 18yr old season maybe it's his break out year to finally prove that he can take on a bigger role.

I don't think the Blades should waste their picks in a 96 born forward as it is the league is weak in that age group and to waste the picks on a very possible stronger draft doesn't make sense. This year I don't think I have ever seen so many 17yr olds in the league before a lot of them rookies maybe it was the year of late bloomers.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

First I should apologize as I forgot to recognize Thomson in my last post, saying we have no '96 or '97 Dmen after Nogier's departure. After Thomson we only have Higson and Reid (sure missing Ottenbreit now that the rebuild is on, as neither Higson nor Reid appear to be purely shutdown D types). Looking at the list above, I don't think the team has much interest in Dwyer or Stewart as they moved Stovin to defense rather than calling either of these two up earlier. I thought Capstick was the best of the 99's in camp last fall, with Kustra coming on at the end. But Capstick plays on an academy team with other D men already committed to go NCAA, and has already toured Wisconsin and perhaps other schools. Kustra has signed with the Blades. Capstick has not to my knowledge. I don't think we have enough D in our system at the moment to fill our roster next season, without taking back some of our current underperforming 19 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Me being a Pats fan I'm not too keen on Reagan myself, he lost ALOT of development under Cameron as he hardly played. I think a fresh start would be good for him I just wish he played more physical for his size.
    This brings me to my pet peeve with this team...our two '98 Dmen. They hardly get any playing time. Higson made the team out of camp and has been stapled to the third line or the stands whenever there are 7+ Dmen available. Reid's not much better. He seemed to start off well after getting called up, getting lots of special teams time and even starting a few games with Krupic. But he has since fallen to the bottom of the pile with Higson and gets only slightly more ice time than him since Reid plays second line PK (163lb Reid covers the slot on our PK while 206lb Higson sits on the bench...). Against Regina the Blades dressed seven D and the 98's were getting maybe 2-3 shifts a period. I don't get how a team that openly trades goaltenders and forwards to make room for younger players at those positions can ignore the position the coach played his entire career. God forbid Capstick's family makes a phone call to Higson's (who passed on NCAA offers himself) before deciding to sign with us.

Reagan was scratched when Regina was here last weekend. He hasn't yet put up the numbers one would expect (I don't think he was expected to be like Josh Anderson in PG). But if he could just fill the shutdown roll Ottenbreit looked poised to assume, I think he'd be a good fit. He can't be any worse than Schacher, who I'm sure you're familiar with and who we might need to fill the role next season as things sit now.

I'm hoping that once the deadline has passed there will be a few older d-men gone that will allow Reid and Higson to play more. There's no way Shacher or Krupic will be back next year so no point keeping them.

Getting Hobbs would be big for the team. He'd instantly become the top d-man on the team.

Iconwhl

Under CHL rules Krupic can not be traded as he is a 1st year euro right from the draft he either has to be released or kept on the team. I also don't see anyone wanting Schacher so unless the Blades reassign him he's there for the year as well. Unfortunately having a very young D core is not the way to go about development it's setting players up for failure which can hurt development a lot.

Growing pains are tough in saskatoon from the memorial cup run and the buying of schenn...... Guess all those years of being dominate in the regular season has finally caught up to the blades.... Looks like Brodsky got out when the time was right.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    There's no way Shacher or Krupic will be back next year so no point keeping them.

Getting Hobbs would be big for the team. He'd instantly become the top d-man on the team.
    Of our 19 year olds, only Krupic has any real skill. I know he's not a fan favorite because he plays so soft and is always whining to the refs after the whistle. But at least he brings something to the table. They seem to really like pairing him with Reid as well, and I hope/expect to see more of that combination after Christmas. Schacher is gone for sure as his play is steadily declining. Coughlan is putting himself in a tough spot to return, trying to do too much and openly saying he won't fight because of his bum shoulder. I'm not sure what a big defenseman with limited skill that plays small has to offer as a 20 year old.

I agree Hobbs would be a huge improvement, and would have the added benefit of being around for awhile. Whether from the euro draft or trades within the league, we need some help on D at least for the next couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Unfortunately having a very young D core is not the way to go about development it's setting players up for failure which can hurt development a lot.
    I agree, and I'm sure that's a large part of Wood's thinking. But never playing them hinders their development as well, as you indicated with Reagan. I'd love to see some good role models for our rookies (at all positions) and develop them like other clubs. But we're not going to have that luxury.