Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rebuild Begins...

How about some of the other positions?

I think after the early season concerns about goaltending, that's probably the position we show the most promise in currently. It's a little difficult to assess Martin and Amundrud because of what's in front of them, but they appear to be solid prospects moving forward. Both have the added benefit of being younger players and fitting in well with the timeline for a rebuild. They have completely different styles, and I look forward to watching them push each other. Luding looks like a promising '99 prospect out in PG as well, and practiced with the team during their BC trip.

We actually have a lot of young players on forward currently. Graham, Uhrich, and Welykholowa are 96's, and we have six 97's in Hebig, Soshnin. Sloboshan, Braid, Armour, and now McCarty. While we are good in the sense that we have lots of young prospects on forward, we will need to address the fact that we are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. I think some of these forwards will be replaced moving forward to increase our skill level at the position. But I think they remain serviceable as a whole to finish out this season, as long as they show up to play every night.

Will be interesting to see what transpires between now and the trade deadline. The Blades are a mess right now and will be for a few years for sure. They need to stockpile the draft picks for the long term, but need players that can play now. When a team takes a forward that hasn't played defence since peewee and moves him back you know the pickings are pretty slim down on the farm. Woods and Jr. are going to have to walk a tightrope with what they trade now. Merry Xmas everyone, and best wishes for the New Year. May all your hockey games be great.

Well, we'll see later today who shows up to play after the Christmas break. I'm tired of realizing in the third period that there is a Blades player out on the ice that I haven't even noticed to that point. Here's hoping the dead weight gets cast off in the next two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by EastDivFan View Post
    Well, we'll see later today who shows up to play after the Christmas break. I'm tired of realizing in the third period that there is a Blades player out on the ice that I haven't even noticed to that point. Here's hoping the dead weight gets cast off in the next two weeks.

I'm guessing we see 2 or 3 moves the next few weeks at least. Time to let the guys show there stuff.

Sigh...

Listening to the post game interviews with coaches and players, the team is still talking about making the playoffs. LET IT GO ALREADY!!! You're not making the playoffs. Everyone seems to understand this but the organization. It's like listening to the Oilers brass.

It was a good win for the team to finally break the losing streak. But the 6-3 score does not really indicate how the game went. After coming out hard to start and dominating early, PA slowly turned the tables, outshooting the Blades badly in the third. If not for Soshnin's goal, the game could have easily went the other way in the last 10 minutes. I still think this team lacks conditioning as they always fade in the third.

Regarding the rebuild, Gingras and Armour were left sitting in the stands. It was nice to see Higson and Reid play a regular shift, with Krupic sitting out likely due to a little jetlag (didn't seem to affect Soshnin). Krupic should replace Schacher today, as Krupic/Reid and Thomson/Higson are favored pairs, and Schacher did not have a good game. But that's not likely how it will play out. McCarty looks like a solid addition to the team, heading into his 18th birthday in a few weeks.

Well a 5-0 win today was good to see. There's no way they'll make the playoffs unless they overachieve in the second half of the season. I think they just wanna get as many wins as possible so they don't have to worry about winning the draft lottery again lol. We need to see the Ice and Tips go down in the standings. Rite now the two first round picks look to be in the mid teens.

I'd expect there's going to be trades coming in the next week or so. Who the players will be that will be moved I think will be anyone's guess though they need to be careful how many 19's they trade away. Keeping Forsberg and Zajac for next season would be ideal IMO. The rest can go. Then in the off season, get a 20 yr old d-man.

I've been impressed with Soshnin lately, 2 goals today giving him 7 goals in the past 15 games, not bad. Woods is pretty high on him so hopefully Nikita will have a good 2nd half.

I would imagine right now Zajac and Forsberg are pencilled in as you mention. Zajac seems to provide leadership and comes to play every night. Although Forsberg takes a lot of nights off, he has the talent the organization desperately needs if they can ever motivate the kid.

On defense, they are giving Coghlan every chance to prove himself while playing on the top line with Henry. Unfortunately, Krupic is the only one with the talent to return as a 20 y.o. on D. And they won't burn an import spot on him since they seem to have found a reliable pipeline for talent from the Moscow area. I don't care what the changes are in management. You don't go from being told you aren't good enough for the team and being traded one year. And then the following year you are back playing on the top line. It just doesn't make sense. One party obviously doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

Soshnin has been steadily improving. He's a bit small, but he plays big for his size. Watching him and Millette the last couple of games head to head, I think Woods got that one right.

Guys.... Would you rather have a coach quite on his team half way through the season, or would you rather have a coach lead his team until they are mathematically eliminated? Its not different than any other coach. Woods knows their in a rebuild. Heck he's even mentioned it in interviews serveral times. He's still gotta lead the team.

The team is playing with confidence right now and hopefully they can win a little more than they lose the second half of the season and go into next year ready to compete for a playoff position. They won't make the playoffs this year even if they over achieve. With 35 games remaining they would have to go approx. 25-10 in the second half of the season. Lol

Agreed on Soshnin. He's been awesome.

Getting Amundrud in the Scherbak deal is gonna be huge down the road. The kid has it.

Even if Everett and Kootney do well, those first round picks in our pocket are huge. Who knows, We may end up dealing them for some quality 16 year olds and 17 year olds. I expect Kootney to have a great second half of the season and climb quite a bit in the standings.

Curious to see who Brandon's trading partner is at the deadline. They have a few kids that teams want to get their hands on.

Connor Hobbs seems like he would be a good fit in stoon. Wonder what Medicine Hat is asking for him?

Brandon fans are hearing Brent Stovins name mentioned in trade rumors. Maybe he gets dealt?

Nice to get a couple wins!
    Last edited by curwie; 12-29-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Not sure how you guys can think Zajac is penciled in for next year . Are you guys basing your view on him because he knows how to skate alright North and south.He is on a path for less points , worse plus minus then he did last year.In the last two games the Blades have scored 11 goals ,Zajac 0 points and three dumb penalties .He isn't going to be a go to guy next year.I can tell you right now that there will be a hell of a lot better 20 yr olds then him next year.Now would be the time to try to get something for him , so you don't just have to release him next year to make room for a better 20 yr.Now and till Jan 10th the Blades have a chance to get rid of dead weight(topic for another time) for the remainder of this year and next year. In that being said good couple of wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Uknownothing View Post
    Not sure how you guys can think Zajac is penciled in for next year . Are you guys basing your view on him because he knows how to skate alright North and south.He is on a path for less points , worse plus minus then he did last year.In the last two games the Blades have scored 11 goals ,Zajac 0 points and three dumb penalties .He isn't going to be a go to guy next year.I can tell you right now that there will be a hell of a lot better 20 yr olds then him next year.Now would be the time to try to get something for him , so you don't just have to release him next year to make room for a better 20 yr.Now and till Jan 10th the Blades have a chance to get rid of dead weight(topic for another time) for the remainder of this year and next year. In that being said good couple of wins.
    That's why I read these sites. Sometimes someone provides a point of view that makes you open your eyes. You're 100% right about Zajac. I was basing my opinion on the fact that he can skate, appears to provide some leadership, and shows up to play consistently (a real problem with this team). But his current performance certainly shouldn't make him a lock as a 20 year old. There will be better 20 year old forwards available next Fall. The question is whether the Blades will want to use their coveted draft picks to obtain them, especially given they will need a 20 year old D (yes I would keep Zajac over Coghlan in a heartbeat) more. I don't consider Zajac dead weight on this team. But, like Stovin (who I expect to see moved), now is the time to move him unless they do have significant interest in bringing him back next season.