Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions and Answers about Age Guidlines

Glad to see the league went with the 4 per team rule as opposed to the 80 per league mainly since the WHL has 21 teams next year and 22 once Edmonton gets in.

RETIRED JERSEY: #32 CHAD SCHARFF

Default Not a league decision

Quote Originally Posted by Beaner
    Glad to see the league went with the 4 per team rule as opposed to the 80 per league mainly since the WHL has 21 teams next year and 22 once Edmonton gets in.
    This was a decision by Hockey Canada, not the WHL. Although I'm sure the CHL had some input into it.

Default Update on 16 year olds

As stated earlier in the thread, WHL teams are allowed a maximum of 80 16 year-old players this season total. Each 16 year old must play in a minimum of 40 regular season games.

It will be interesting which team gets more than other teams as 21 does not divide into 80 evenly.

Default As long as the 80 player rule stays in effect the league should be okay

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut
    As stated earlier in the thread, WHL teams are allowed a maximum of 80 16 year-old players this season total. Each 16 year old must play in a minimum of 40 regular season games.

It will be interesting which team gets more than other teams as 21 does not divide into 80 evenly.

Even with 22 teams next season. There was only 60 or so 16s last season that played any significant time. The minimum 40 games means that the kids can't be inserted into the lineup here and there as they have to play better than every second game. If it ever gets lower than the 80 it might be a problem.

Default 40 game restriction

I assume the 40 game restriction wouldn't take effect if a player was injured for a significant amount of time or if they were a goaltender.

pucksucker Guest

Question 16's for 2006-2007

Hello everyone!

Nice to see a forum without all the negative issues of the Oregonlive board or the White Board. Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers ;-)

What is the final ruling for the 16 year old cap in the WHL? I see Portland has 6 16-year olds, Calgary 5, Rockets 5, T-Birds have 4 and several teams have 3,2,or1. This puts the WHL over the 40 limit as well ! Could someone clarify what the team and league limits are ?
    Thank you
    PuckSucker[/FONT]

I never knew about the 16 yr old rule until this thread...Interesting that the league could have more than 40 16-yr olds as long as some of them play 39 games or less. In Leth, we had a handful of 16 yr olds last yr, but looking at Justin Leclerc, he played in only 34 games but ended up as the #1 goalie. Some teams could bend the rules like this, sitting out guys every other game or so, letting them play at the U-17s at Xmas, etc.

sometimes these links are working and sometimes it is not working