Thread: EVT allowed to use 3 euros.... ***?

Iconwhl EVT allowed to use 3 euros.... WTH?

If you think the Leon Draisaitl situation is fascinating, just wait.

What happens, for sake of argument, if the San Jose Sharks send 19-year-old defenceman Mirco Mueller back to the Everett Silvertips after the Jan. 10 trade deadline, since Everett already has the max two imports in forwards Ivan Nikolishin and Nikita Scherbak?

Mueller is still eligible to play in the WHL this season as long as San Jose sends him back by the NHL trade deadline on March 2.

If he’s sent back after Jan. 10, can Everett have three Euros on its roster? And can all three dress for games?

To quote an email from the WHL head office on Friday: “Yes and yes.”

The Sharks loaned Mueller out to Team Switzerland for the world juniors. In 24 NHL games this season, he’s averaging 17:09 of playing time. He has one goal, two assists, a minus-two rating and eight penalty minutes in that span.

And, keep in mind, the Sharks are loaded with defencemen. They made veteran Scott Hannan a healthy scratch in their Tuesday game against the Canucks. Matt Irwin had been a healthy scratch before that.

Everett might be the next-best thing in the Western Conference after the Kelowna Rockets, and they have a chance to get a whole lot better if San Jose decides on Jan. 11 or later to send Mueller.

Let the speculation begin.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/01...three-imports/
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

Iconwhl

from the other forum... I don't get how this can be possible when the CHL has a 2 import rule

Anyone care to make some sense of this if it happens?

Iconwhl

interesting response by Alan Caldwell (hope I spelt it right)

The reason is that Mueller is not currently on Everett's 50 player protected list. He is on a seperate list the WHL calls the "Special" list which is for players with junior eligibility left, who are currently playing pro hockey. Leon Draisaitl is on P.A.'s "Special" list too, for example.

You can have two imports on your regular 50 player list and Everett has them, Nikolishin and Scherbak. But because Mueller isn't on the 50 man list, this is how they are able to also keep the rights to Mueller without being in violation of the two-imports-per-team rule.

The catch is, when a player is returned from the pros, you have to take him off the Special list and put him on your regular list. You have two weeks at that point to get back in compliance with the roster limits. BUT, if the trade deadline has already passed and teams can no longer trade or waive players, how is Everett supposed to get back in compliance when they can no longer trade or waive any of the three imports?

It's a tough situation for the league if this happens. It's obviously unfair to other teams if Everett is allowed to use three imports but on the other hand it's also unfair to the players to have one of them stuck in limbo and effectively unable to play again this season if the league forces Everett to pick only two of them. The players did nothing wrong.

Personally, I think a fair compromise is to allow Everett to have the three imports but only two can dress for any given game. It's not totally fair to the players but on the other hand, letting them all play isn't fair to the other teams in the league either. Not sure why the league seems to think it would be OK to let them dress three.

You can't release a player after the trade deadline? That doesn't sound correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    You can't release a player after the trade deadline? That doesn't sound correct.
    Believe your right... A player should be able to be released and any team that has an open card would be able to pick up. I think....you just are unable to trade him and have any trades eligible to play the remainder of this year...that is what I would think, but could be wrong.

Iconwhl

under those rules you would think KEL would take advantage of it as well and get EDM to loan Leon to them after the WHL trade deadline, of course that would mean KEL would still have to acquire his rights from PA first

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    under those rules you would think KEL would take advantage of it as well and get EDM to loan Leon to them after the WHL trade deadline, of course that would mean KEL would still have to acquire his rights from PA first
    Looks like the answer would be no. Looking thru the Hockey Canada Regulations it states 'players released from Hockey Canada teams after January 10, shall be ineligible to play with any other Hockey Canada or USA Hockey team in the current season'.

If the Everett situation were to happen the WHL gives the team 2 weeks to decide and if it's after the Jan 10th deadline ...tough luck for the Euro that is not kept. He can not play for the existing team or any other WHL team who does not have a Euro open spot. ( and this may not even be able to happen)

In the case of most teams that have openings for Over Age players and a Euro they normally have had communications with "probable scenarios" like the Everett situation and have trades in place with other teams so a player of high quality is not treated poorly as this looks bad for the league and the team

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by Swando View Post
    If the Everett situation were to happen the WHL gives the team 2 weeks to decide and if it's after the Jan 10th deadline ...tough luck for the Euro that is not kept. He can not play for the existing team or any other WHL team who does not have a Euro open spot. ( and this may not even be able to happen)
    I think you missed a very key part in the article, the WHL themselves have already said if it does happen EVT will be allowed to have 3 euros on the roster and can dress all 3

If he’s sent back after Jan. 10, can Everett have three Euros on its roster? And can all three dress for games?

To quote an email from the WHL head office on Friday: “Yes and yes.”