Thread: Blades Send Martin to Rebels

Smile Blades Send Martin to Rebels

http://www.saskatoonblades.com/artic...rtin-to-rebels

Not really a fan of this deal, but oh well, I really enjoyed Martin and think both him and Amundrud were a good combo in net despite what the record shows. I wish Trevor Martin all the best in Red Deer as they prepare for a memorial cup run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a fan of this trade at all. Although the Blades have clearly made up their mind, I think the jury was still out on who was better between Amundrud and Martin. Especially after Martin had to bail Amundrud out again on Saturday. I wasn't impressed by Hamm at all in camp. I hope he capitalizes on his opportunity, but I suspect he is filler until Luding shows up next year. Regardless, expect to see a lot of Amundrud the rest of the year. Goaltending this year has gone from priority one in the offseason to the least of the Blade's worries at the Christmas break, back to a big question mark in the new year.

With 10 D on roster after the Nogier & Bobyk trades, you knew something had to give in Rebels land. Dixon was definitely at the bottom of the pile, keeping Mahura company on the bench when I saw them play a few times. To make matters worse, he's going from sleeping in his own bed as a Red Deer native to billeting. With a limited skillset, I expect him to settle into a level of performance just slightly better than Schacher, despite the fact he'll play first line everything to start I'm sure. It'll be interesting which two D sit out games now, just as some are starting to show promise.

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney1988 View Post
    I wish Trevor Martin all the best in Red Deer as they prepare for a memorial cup run!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They reassigned him to Junior A immediately after the trade. I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays for the Rebels. Considering everything else they've given up already, I'm sure Sutter's looking for a stud goaltender for next year.

True, but all the talk in Rebel land is that Taz Burman doesn't look to be a WHL caliber goaltender, then again I don't know if Trevor Martin is either, but I think it would a definite upgrade to a memorial cup team.....

Rite now I don't like the Martin for Dixon deal but I'm going to wait until after the deadline to really decide.

If the Blades don't move any of their other 19 yr olds or Henry then Woods needs his head examined. There's no way they should have 5 d-men that are 19 or 20.

Just what they need. Another 19 year old who will get to compete for a spot on the team next season as a 20 year old. Not liking how this rebuild is going, but then again I just don't think they have anything of interest to other teams in the 19 and 20 year old category that is worth anything.

Just speculating............maybe Martin asked for more playing time, coaches said no, then was moved. Don't get why red deer would want him then send him to Melville? Think with them having so many dmen, Dixon could have been had for a 4-6th rounder. More to the story, cuz why not keep Martin rather than bring in a less talented goalie to backup. Martin's sjhl #'s > Hamms sjhl#'s!

When they do end up trading Henry, hope he fetches something worthwhile. Pretty tough to swallow if they get a mid level pick for him. & next yr d isn't going to be much improved, very young with no talented older guys to anchor them. Funny, seems like prospects are fetching more in trade value compared to older elite players. Bad news for the Blades if they are trying to acquire 2 young guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat20 View Post
    Just speculating............maybe Martin asked for more playing time, coaches said no, then was moved. Don't get why red deer would want him then send him to Melville? Think with them having so many dmen, Dixon could have been had for a 4-6th rounder. More to the story, cuz why not keep Martin rather than bring in a less talented goalie to backup. Martin's sjhl #'s > Hamms sjhl#'s!

When they do end up trading Henry, hope he fetches something worthwhile. Pretty tough to swallow if they get a mid level pick for him. & next yr d isn't going to be much improved, very young with no talented older guys to anchor them. Funny, seems like prospects are fetching more in trade value compared to older elite players. Bad news for the Blades if they are trying to acquire 2 young guys!
    I'd be surprised if they get anything more than a 3rd round pick for Henry. Maybe even less than that. Hopefully Im wrong.

I wish we could acquire a young up and comer like that Leslie kid that jr. A scout was talking about. He was fabulous here the other night. But if the price for a 99 born 1st round pick is what Regina paid for Leschyshen, then we probably can't afford to deal our picks.

Part of the problem is there just aren't many teams that are buyers this year. Kelowna is so strong in the west and Brandon in the east that adding a player or two to the roster just won't put anyone else over the top. Even worse is there aren't an abundance of teams looking for a 20 year old D-man, and if someone is they will be paying a small price for him. There will be no blockbuster first round picks and a prospect given for Henry. Forsberg might bring something if a team wants a lazy forward with good hands. Who knows, its possible someone may decide to look past all the baggage and take a chance sending maybe a prospect and a 3rd round pick back to the Blades.