Thread: Burroughs/Hunt for Hobbs & Picks Done Deal

Default Burroughs/Hunt for Hobbs & Picks Done Deal

http://reginapats.com/article/pats-a...te-blockbuster

Pats and Tigers Complete Blockbuster

Jan 05, 2015 - 09:50 CST
    Written By: Regina Pats Staff,

Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Head Coach and Senior VP of Hockey Operations John Paddock announced today the team has acquired defenceman Connor Hobbs (’97), a 2nd Round pick in 2016 and a 3rd Round pick in 2015 in exchange for defenceman Kyle Burroughs and forward Dryden Hunt.

Hobbs (6’1”, 187 lbs) was the Prince Albert Raiders’ 4th Round selection (67th Overall) in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft before being acquired by Medicine Hat. Last season with the Saskatoon Blazers, Hobbs registered 23 points (11G, 12A) in 33 games. The Saskatoon, SK native made his WHL debut with the Tigers last season, playing ten games while tallying a goal and two assists. Hobbs caught the eye of Hockey Canada and earned an invite to play for Team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament this summer. Hobbs posted two assists in five games as Canada went on to win Gold. In 2014-15 the 17 year old has a goal and an assist in 12 games for the Tigers. NHL Central Scouting has Hobbs listed as a ‘C’ skater (4th-6th Round) for the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

“Connor is an outstanding 17 year old as one of the seven defenceman to play for Canada at the Ivan Hlinka tournament this summer,” commented John Paddock. “His future is very bright in the WHL and he should be playing in this league. He was the best defenceman at the World Junior-A Challenge in Kindersley and we’re excited to acquire a player of his caliber to join our core of young talent.”

Kyle Burroughs was the Pats’ 3rd Round WHL Bantam Draft pick in 2010 and has been the captain of the Pats since the 2013-14 season. The Langley, B.C. native played 220 games in the Blue and White
    (T-36th all-time) while recording 103 points (20G, 83A) and 264 penalty minutes over that span. Since being selected in the 7th Round of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft by the New York Islanders, Burroughs has evolved into one of the top defencemen in the WHL. This season, Burroughs has been a fixture among the league leaders in plus/minus, and currently leads the league at +31. Internationally, Burroughs was a member of Team Pacific at the 2012 World U17 Hockey Challenge. Burroughs made his professional debut last season, playing nine games for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers following the Pats’ campaign.

“It’s obviously a very difficult day when you have to trade your captain,” said Paddock. “This is a trade we’ve completed for similar reasons as the Klimchuk-Gabrielle deal. Kyle is as good a captain as there is in junior hockey, an outstanding player and leader. We will miss him, but this is a step we had to take as an organization in order to build for the future and make up for deficiencies in future drafts.”

Dryden Hunt was a list player of the Pats in 2011 and went on to make the team following training camp, playing for the Blue and White as a 16 year old. The Nelson, B.C. product overcame no small amount of adversity in his time with the Pats, missing all but two games of the 2012-13 season due to injuries. Hunt cleared that obstacle and has played 163 games for the Pats while posting 97 points (40G, 57A) in that span. After a breakout year in 2013-14 (40PTS, 62GP), Hunt took his game to an even higher level in 2014-15. The winger sits 12th in the WHL scoring with 47 points (14G, 33A) in 37 games played. Hunt’s play with the Pats last season caught the eye of NHL scouts and he was invited to the Carolina Hurricanes’ summer development and fall rookie camps this off-season.

“Dryden is a tremendous player, hard worker and a great leader in his own way,” Paddock continued. “We’re giving up an outstanding player, but once again, it’s a step we have to take. We wish both Dryden and Kyle well as they move on from our organization.”

The Regina Pats thank Kyle and Dryden for their incredible contributions to both the organization and community of Regina and wish them luck as they move on. Both have been fantastic representatives of the Pats in their time with the team.

Connor Hobbs makes his Pats debut Wednesday night when the Queen City Kids faceoff with the Everett Silvertips at the Brandt Centre in a 7:00 p.m. puck drop. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.ca, the Brandt Centre Box Office and Safeway locations throughout Regina.

Kevin:

Looks like the road map is rolled out.

Will there be more to come this week is the question.

There is a plan in place now whether you like it or not!

Go Canada Go........

A bit of a stunning development. This deal much like the Klimchuk deal, it leaves me with a bit of an empty feeling. It's rather disappointing to think that the return was the highest value out there. Oh well it's done now. I have to suspect that there will be more!

I too am not that pleased with the return. IMO we should at the least had some Conditional picks if either Hunt or Borrughs play WHL next year.
    On the bigger picture I like that they have a plan and are "stay the course".
    Maybe as John P get more WHL experience his precieved value of players will increase and the players traded will bring increased return

TWO SEASON TICKETS FOR SALE CHEAP this makes the old gm of lethbridge look like a genius. We may as we'll trade steel, by the time these draft picks are eligible to play he'll be in the nhl. What a joke. This team will be lucky to win 8 more games this year. Next year will be even worse. May as we'll trade all the top guys now and start fresh. If any one likes this trade let me know your reasoning cause I sure the fook can't.

Iconwhl

After thinking for the past hour or so about all the trades made in the past few days I for one am happy. Yes this season we will have some tough games to watch but just knowing things are finally being done right it makes it a much easier pill to swallow.

Paddock and scouting staff targeted the players they wanted who they felt will help us in the years to come. Sure they may of paid some big prices to get these players but if those were the players they truly wanted who can fault them in paying for these guys. Lechynshyn is going to be a very good player in this league and is only 1yr younger then Steel, throw in Gardiner and Hollett into that same age group and we have a strong supporting cast around Steel both a year older and a year younger then Steel.

It was never about this year and don't kid yourself that it was. The best case scenario happened for Paddock and that was both Hunt & Gay exceeded expectations so he could move them for assets they really wanted. The entire team has over achieved in terms of success no one and I repeat no one predicted this team to be where they are in standings at the start of the year.

So just because we over achieved means we should become a buyer? I think not!

We only have 10 active forwards on the roster now so we will be calling up most likely Zimmer &/or Berg maybe even Elmer as well for the rest of the year. We now have a new #1 line in Brooks/Padakin/Wagner and who would of thought that at the start of the year. Is there teams out there who see Christoffer or D'Amico as a 20yr old upgrade in what they have? We won't get much in a return on them but maybe a body just to lessen the blow for the remainder of this year.

I will say this as well even with these trades we will still make the playoffs and have a date with SC in the 1st round. We still have a better team then PA & MJ.... We will have a team now that busts their a*ses each and every shift. Look at our current 4th line in how hard they work each shift that's what our team becomes now and I for one am more then ok with that.

Go Pats!!
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

I was and remain a voice in favour of being sellers. That being said I am in no way convinced we got the best return we could have. I attribute some of this to Paddock being a novice GM in this league. I attribute the rest to the advice he may have received.

IMO had he stood a little more firm with the Hat, he could have got another asset. RD got a kings ransom for Lechycyshyn. Gay is a big point guy this year and will be so next year again. Giving up 1st Rnd + more picks to get a kid who can't play this year??

I get a feeling we devalued our players and perhaps rushed some deals. I concur that we should try to obtain a 19 year old OR swap a 20 yr old. We need some leadership, grit and offensive punch. I would like to see a very physical guy on board.

Hopefully we can add a rugged 19 year old to help out this season. Offence and leadership will be hard to come by. Things will be tough for a while.