Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wow Blades get Brycen Martin

Default Wow Blades get Brycen Martin

http://www.saskatoonblades.com/artic...n-from-broncos

The Saskatoon Blades have acquired 1996 born defenceman Brycen Martin and a conditional 2017 5th round draft pick from the Swift Current Broncos.

“This is a real big trade for the Saskatoon Blades,” said Head Coach and GM Bob Woods. “Brycen is a big presence on the blue line, great attributes, obviously a high NHL pick, we’re just really excited to have him here.”

The Broncos will receive 1996 born defenceman Jordan Thomson, and a 2016 1st round pick draft pick (Red Deer.)

“We’re very proud of Jordan, the work he put in with us. He’s a great kid, and we’re so happy he was a part of our organization. We certainly wish him the best with the Broncos.”

The 18 year old Martin was a third round selection of the Buffalo Sabres in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He was also the 2nd overall selection in the 2011 bantam draft.

Martin has played 39 games with the Broncos this season, and has 2 goals, 14 assists, 16 points and 22 PIM. In 181 WHL games, Martin has 72 points and 96 PIM.

“He’ll be a top pairing guy we need, really help with our young guys, and be a big part of our future.”

Rather the pick be a 2nd but I think this is a good deal. The Blades could unload Martin next year for hopefully more if they need to.

Weird situation. I thought when the trade with the Blazers was nullified, woods would go after him. What else could swift do but trade him somewhere else. I think this is the worse trade yet only for what they gave up! I'm with trav, that a 2nd would be easier to swallow. Not sure what other teams were offering & being same division, maybe played a roll! But I thought these 1st rounders were coveted & going to be used on young impact players. So maybe can't completely grade this one till next yrs deadline & see what they can get for him then! 2 questions:

1) why would swift want another dman back, thought they have too many & will have to move someone

2) can anyone confirm that the condition pick we sent Kamloops to get Thomson, that we give up if he's on the Blades roster after this yrs deadline, still goes if we trade him or only get it back if he was released?

Thomson I think was being shopped around for awhile. Alone I don't think the Blades would've gotten much for him.

The 1st rounder is the Rebels pick so that's not bad. Assuming they're a good team next year, the pick will be low. Martin could actually be here when he's 20, never know.

After thinking about it for awhile I can live with the trade. Martin, Reid, Higson and a new import dman wouldn't be a bad top four next year. Add a solid 20 yr old dman from somewhere
    Last edited by Trav; 01-07-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat20 View Post
    Weird situation. I thought when the trade with the Blazers was nullified, woods would go after him. What else could swift do but trade him somewhere else. I think this is the worse trade yet only for what they gave up! I'm with trav, that a 2nd would be easier to swallow. Not sure what other teams were offering & being same division, maybe played a roll! But I thought these 1st rounders were coveted & going to be used on young impact players. So maybe can't completely grade this one till next yrs deadline & see what they can get for him then! 2 questions:

1) why would swift want another dman back, thought they have too many & will have to move someone

2) can anyone confirm that the condition pick we sent Kamloops to get Thomson, that we give up if he's on the Blades roster after this yrs deadline, still goes if we trade him or only get it back if he was released?
    The conditional pick I believe involved Thomson reporting and making the team this year which obviously he did so the pick would go to Kamloops.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Thomson I think was being shopped around for awhile. Alone I don't think the Blades would've gotten much for him.

The 1st rounder is the Rebels pick so that's not bad. Assuming they're a good team next year, the pick will be low. Martin could actually be here when he's 20, never know.

After thinking about it for awhile I can live with the trade. Martin, Reid, Higson and a new import dman wouldn't be a bad top four next year. Add a solid 20 yr old dman from somewhere
    Mostly agree with you again Trav. I can't help but wonder if teams are reluctant to trade for Thomson due to his history and therefor his trade value goes down. I liked Thomson though, and he seems like a good kid so I wish him well.

Regarding the import dman comment, I believe Krupic will be back next year.

I'm also excited to see this Martin kid. Sounds like a great pick up. Glad to hear Woods say they will deal him at the deadline next year if things don't go well in Bladesville.

Krupic won't be back next year . European and 20 yrs old he takes up two spots next year plus the Blades will have a high European pick next year they will use it to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by curwie View Post
    Mostly agree with you again Trav. I can't help but wonder if teams are reluctant to trade for Thomson due to his history and therefor his trade value goes down. I liked Thomson though, and he seems like a good kid so I wish him well.

Regarding the import dman comment, I believe Krupic will be back next year.

I'm also excited to see this Martin kid. Sounds like a great pick up. Glad to hear Woods say they will deal him at the deadline next year if things don't go well in Bladesville.
    Its all fine and dandy to say they will trade him next season if things don't go well, but a lot can happen between now and then. Injuries can end a career at anytime. Dumb move on the Blades part giving up a first rounder.

Again I don't think it was a dumb move. The 2016 1st rounder, whoever it'll be won't be in the league until at least 2017-2018 season. Blades should have a competitive team by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Again I don't think it was a dumb move. The 2016 1st rounder, whoever it'll be won't be in the league until at least 2017-2018 season. Blades should have a competitive team by then.
    That would depend on what competitive means in this case. For a playoff spot, or for a MC ? Maybe someplace in between? You don't trade 1st round picks for 18 y/o players that have already been drafted when your 30 points or so out of the last playoff spot. You don't trade 1st round picks for players you think you can deal in a year from now for a higher 1st round pick because to many things can happen between now and then. You can always trade a first round pick or prospect when you are competitive that may put your team over the top. In my opinion this trade ranks right up there with the Ottenbreit deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    That would depend on what competitive means in this case. For a playoff spot, or for a MC ? Maybe someplace in between? You don't trade 1st round picks for 18 y/o players that have already been drafted when your 30 points or so out of the last playoff spot. You don't trade 1st round picks for players you think you can deal in a year from now for a higher 1st round pick because to many things can happen between now and then. You can always trade a first round pick or prospect when you are competitive that may put your team over the top. In my opinion this trade ranks right up there with the Ottenbreit deal.
    Flipping Henry for a 2nd round pick was huge. If the 97 draft were held again today do you think Ottenbreit goes in the second round? I'm quite happy with the return we got from Turner Ottenbriet now that we flipped Henry.