Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Anholt Thoughts...

Default Post Anholt Thoughts...

I thought it might be good to see what everyone is thinking about the "new look" Canes. My take:

I like that the defense has gotten a whole lot bigger, even at the expense of guys like Hackman. However, when you have a big defense, you have to expect that they are going to punish opposing forwards. I still am not seeing that on a regular basis. Our guys seem to still be getting beat to the puck, and do not regularly lay enough meaningful hits to keep opposing players hearing footsteps. One can only hope that this gargantuan group can work on their foot speed, and toughness, and start becoming "hard to play against" I think the changes on the blue line are good, and should pay dividends down the line.

This one comes down to the coaches, but when will we see a proper defensive system implemented? Regular 40+ shots against games do nothing but embarrass our goaltenders. We simply can't keep expecting them to see this much rubber game in and game out without predictable results. The boys are still running around in our end a lot of the time, and there seems to be a never ending cascade of goals scored by opposition forwards that don't have a Hurricane within 10 feet of them. I always though that this was one of the major downfalls of the DB coached team. I find it funny that coach Maxwell said after last night's game that you win most games if you score 7 goals. He should have also said that you don't win many games when you allow 60 shots on goal. Bravo to the goaltenders, they are both very good, and I think with less average shots on goal, they both could be, deservedly, very highly rated.

It looks like the offence is starting to show some life under Anholt. It seems that the guys have a little extra jump most games, and it looks like he is allowing the offence to be just that. The forecheck is getting better, and is causing more turnovers and goals. Some guys, like Estephan for example, are really starting to come around, and show the qualities that made them high draft picks. His line with Wong and Burke, are really starting to shine. The scoring looks(?) like it might be spreading around a little, and the team is starting to have 4, 5, 6 goal games more regularly.

The team looks better, generally, and I think with a little time under their belts, they could be a playoff team. With a little more real good scouting and drafting, this team could be back on the path to respectability.
    Better to be smarter than you look than to look smarter than you are....

Default young...............

considering we don't have a first or second line compared to the rest of the league and the hole team is 18 or younger it hard to put any blame on anyone or anything..anholt and crew are doing the best they can with what they got and so are the players........was told at the game that folk got rocked by thrower, took his jersey off in the penalty box thinking he was in the dressing room...not sure if true but he looked a bit bewildered in there.....
    GO CANES GO.................

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
    I thought it might be good to see what everyone is thinking about the "new look" Canes. My take:

I like that the defense has gotten a whole lot bigger, even at the expense of guys like Hackman. However, when you have a big defense, you have to expect that they are going to punish opposing forwards. I still am not seeing that on a regular basis. Our guys seem to still be getting beat to the puck, and do not regularly lay enough meaningful hits to keep opposing players hearing footsteps. One can only hope that this gargantuan group can work on their foot speed, and toughness, and start becoming "hard to play against" I think the changes on the blue line are good, and should pay dividends down the line.

This one comes down to the coaches, but when will we see a proper defensive system implemented? Regular 40+ shots against games do nothing but embarrass our goaltenders. We simply can't keep expecting them to see this much rubber game in and game out without predictable results. The boys are still running around in our end a lot of the time, and there seems to be a never ending cascade of goals scored by opposition forwards that don't have a Hurricane within 10 feet of them. I always though that this was one of the major downfalls of the DB coached team. I find it funny that coach Maxwell said after last night's game that you win most games if you score 7 goals. He should have also said that you don't win many games when you allow 60 shots on goal. Bravo to the goaltenders, they are both very good, and I think with less average shots on goal, they both could be, deservedly, very highly rated.

It looks like the offence is starting to show some life under Anholt. It seems that the guys have a little extra jump most games, and it looks like he is allowing the offence to be just that. The forecheck is getting better, and is causing more turnovers and goals. Some guys, like Estephan for example, are really starting to come around, and show the qualities that made them high draft picks. His line with Wong and Burke, are really starting to shine. The scoring looks(?) like it might be spreading around a little, and the team is starting to have 4, 5, 6 goal games more regularly.

The team looks better, generally, and I think with a little time under their belts, they could be a playoff team. With a little more real good scouting and drafting, this team could be back on the path to respectability.
    It will take some time...a full commitment to playing any kind of overall team defence is not there yet, the boys are young and seem more committed to the more fun offensive game right now. Not much commitment to shot blocking either, #3 seems to be the only one willing to get in front of opposing shooters? Forwards need to be way more involved in defensive zone coverage, knowing who their man is and keeping him covered as well as clogging passing lanes in front of our net! Right now in our end, the forwards are happy to stand around and watch while they wait and hope that our Dmen can get control of the puck and get them the breakout pass? Way to many shots coming from uncovered guys being allowed to shoot between the slot and the blueline in front of our net? Hopefully Anholt and staff will implement a system that will teach these youngsters how to back check through the neutral zone and in our own zone, that will eliminate a lot of the shots that our goal tenders now have to deal with? If the coaching change would have been made during last off season (like Robison suggested) likely we would be in a lot better shape than we are right now, we currently look like a mid October team rather than an end of January team. But, it is still much better than watching the BR/DB ***t show...we are half a season behind, so hopefully we will have a better start to the season next year???
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But, we will all be judged by only one thing, the result. - Vincent Lombardy

I think Anholt has done about as much as could be expected considering what he had to work with. I don't think any of the moves he made will turn out to be anything more than filler but the team got a little younger and bigger which was needed.

Based on his previous record I would hope he is just a place holder until the off-season and then someone else is brought in to take over and remake this team, but he is definitely a huge upgrade over what we had with Robson/DB.

Obviously I would like to see more focus on the defensive end from the team from now until the end of the season but with so few of these guys outside of Estephan being guys I want to see next year on the team I am not too worried as most of the team should be shipped out/cut prior to next year anyways.

Getting rid of BR/DB was a good first step but it should be a small part in a much larger plan to turn this team around. New ownership, GM. coach, players, business manager, game day promotions person should all be part of the plan for next year. On the ice outside of Estephan and maybe Skinner I can't say there is a single other guy on the roster right now that should be back. Obviously that isn't possible but those are the only two that I would worry about keeping and the others are all meh, replacable guys that bring little to nothing to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    I think Anholt has done about as much as could be expected considering what he had to work with. I don't think any of the moves he made will turn out to be anything more than filler but the team got a little younger and bigger which was needed.

Based on his previous record I would hope he is just a place holder until the off-season and then someone else is brought in to take over and remake this team, but he is definitely a huge upgrade over what we had with Robson/DB.

Obviously I would like to see more focus on the defensive end from the team from now until the end of the season but with so few of these guys outside of Estephan being guys I want to see next year on the team I am not too worried as most of the team should be shipped out/cut prior to next year anyways.

Getting rid of BR/DB was a good first step but it should be a small part in a much larger plan to turn this team around. New ownership, GM. coach, players, business manager, game day promotions person should all be part of the plan for next year. On the ice outside of Estephan and maybe Skinner I can't say there is a single other guy on the roster right now that should be back. Obviously that isn't possible but those are the only two that I would worry about keeping and the others are all meh, replacable guys that bring little to nothing to the team.

"New ownership" Oh please inform us.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    "New ownership" Oh please inform us.
    Inform you of what?

I want private ownership not really sure why you needed clarification on that it seemed pretty straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Inform you of what?

I want private ownership not really sure why you needed clarification on that it seemed pretty straightforward.
    Your previous post indicated that would be a given. A long way from that wish. As I have said many times in the past, shareholders have to be notified, so far no notification. Until that occurs new ownership in "the plan" is wishful thinking. You should get yourself a share and go to the office and read the articles and then contact the team lawyer if things are still not clear enough. When and if there is a plan a shareholder will be the first to know.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Your previous post indicated that would be a given. A long way from that wish. As I have said many times in the past, shareholders have to be notified, so far no notification. Until that occurs new ownership in "the plan" is wishful thinking. You should get yourself a share and go to the office and read the articles and then contact the team lawyer if things are still not clear enough. When and if there is a plan a shareholder will be the first to know.
    Not sure how you took it as a given. I said it should be in the plan. That means they should be doing everything they can to move that along as soon as possible.

Things are plenty clear to me so no need to talk to any lawyers or go to the office. But feel free to continue getting your panties in a knot about nothing and keep telling us about the need to have shareholders notified, I am sure we are all anxiously awaiting for your wisdom on the matter.

As an outsider I'm glad to see Estephan's fortunes turn around the last two months in his draft year. He's been dynamite recently. When I saw him in Bdn he looked bigger than I remembered, great hands. I hope he gets drafted. Also it seems like lindgren is doing well since the injury, and pankewicz has a had a good points season. Too bad Kitt ended up in the SJHL
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Anholt wanted to address size on teh back end and he did that, the skill on the back end however is awful. Allan makes Mike O'Grady look like Dennis Savard back there. Anholt really needs to find a (two would be nice) D man who can move the puck, who can run a powerplay and who has some offensive skill. The guys back there are trying their best, but you cannot beat natural talent and that is what Anholt and the scouting department need to address.

The best thing going forward will be the continuity with roster that Anholt has achieved. They will not miss any of the 20 yr olds next season and with only Watson as a 19 yr old, this could be pretty much the same team for the next 2 1/2 years, lets just hope they can continue their development, and that no one else leaves the squad.