Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Anholt Thoughts...

Anholt out coached himself on Sunday vs Wheaties??? Skinner beats MH and is first star and doesn't get the start vs the top team in the east??? Starts Sittler who has been more cold than hot and he lets in 4 out of 5 shots in the 1st period? For the rest of this young team, the game was over right then! Gotta at least give your team the best chance to win, not saying they were ever going to beat the best team but come on, spotting them 4 goals out of the gate? Brutal!!!
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But, we will all be judged by only one thing, the result. - Vincent Lombardy

Default Really???

Quote Originally Posted by sid75 View Post
    Anholt out coached himself on Sunday vs Wheaties??? Skinner beats MH and is first star and doesn't get the start vs the top team in the east??? Starts Sittler who has been more cold than hot and he lets in 4 out of 5 shots in the 1st period? For the rest of this young team, the game was over right then! Gotta at least give your team the best chance to win, not saying they were ever going to beat the best team but come on, spotting them 4 goals out of the gate? Brutal!!!
    Anholt has been very upfront about rotating the goalies and his reasons for it. Yes Skinner can and does play lights out more often than not, but this team was being heavily criticized before Anholt got here about riding Skinner like a mule and the likelihood of him suffering burn out.

Sittler had a bad game, more like a bad 10 minutes, but I have no issue with him getting the start. And don't forget it was Sittler that won on Friday night.

That is a very good Wheat Kings team, but the Hurricanes gave them way too much time and space to operate in.
    Last edited by doc64; 02-09-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doc64 View Post
    Anholt has been very upfront about rotating the goalies and his reasons for it. Yes Skinner can and does play lights out more often than not, but this team was being heavily criticized before Anholt got here about riding Skinner like a mule and the likelihood of him suffering burn out.

Sittler had a bad game, more like a bad 10 minutes, but I have no issue with him getting the start. And don't forget it was Sittler that won on Friday night.

That is a very good Wheat Kings team, but the Hurricanes gave them way too much time and space to operate in.
    Dam right thats a good Wheat Kings team, we spot them 4 goals and then Skinner ends up coming in when the game is all but over and plays anyway and earns the 3rd Star? Doesn't appear that burnout is really a big consideration? Forsure, Anholt seems like a much better GM than Robson but haven't seen a big coaching improvement or much of a culture change, still, way too many players allowed to be passengers on the Cane train! Our young players need to be taught and learn to play both ways with some heart or consequences, right now our forwards only want to play the north game and really do nothing but stand around and watch in the south 3rd of the ice??? Specially some of our older players, 17 needs his butt stapled to the pine for a shift or two when he does that (all the time) you would be surprised how fast that wakes them up when they start losing ice time??? Anyway, they are a young team and I guess its best to keep expectations low, then its hard to be disappointed...
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But, we will all be judged by only one thing, the result. - Vincent Lombardy

Yes, they are young, but they are getting better. They will never challenge the Brandons and Kelownas for playoff positions, but they are at least more entertaining to watch than when DB and BR were running the show. Taking two from the Tigers was a huge step. Next year is when the rubber hits the road. We have room for 2 twenty year olds and then there is the euro questions. Unless Watson picks up his two way game, even he is not a lock for next year. The Hurricanes obviously have no decent contacts in Europe, so perhaps they should concentrate on building with North American players. Scouting has to be addressed sooner rather than later. They have turned the corner. Now we all get to see where they go from here. With some luck, they might even win 20 next year. The future is brighter now than in recent memory, but that is only if there is still a team down there in the "Bridge. My question is this. Has there been a mid term shareholders meeting called yet? I have been gone for a while and have not been keeping up as I have in the past. The cupboards must be pretty empty of cash as the crowds have not been breaking any positive records. I would imagine the league is just about at the end of their rope. The next few weeks should be interesting in more ways than one.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    Yes, they are young, but they are getting better. They will never challenge the Brandons and Kelownas for playoff positions, but they are at least more entertaining to watch than when DB and BR were running the show. Taking two from the Tigers was a huge step. Next year is when the rubber hits the road. We have room for 2 twenty year olds and then there is the euro questions. Unless Watson picks up his two way game, even he is not a lock for next year. The Hurricanes obviously have no decent contacts in Europe, so perhaps they should concentrate on building with North American players. Scouting has to be addressed sooner rather than later. They have turned the corner. Now we all get to see where they go from here. With some luck, they might even win 20 next year. The future is brighter now than in recent memory, but that is only if there is still a team down there in the "Bridge. My question is this. Has there been a mid term shareholders meeting called yet? I have been gone for a while and have not been keeping up as I have in the past. The cupboards must be pretty empty of cash as the crowds have not been breaking any positive records. I would imagine the league is just about at the end of their rope. The next few weeks should be interesting in more ways than one.
    I say 20 wins this year. I assume Anholt has better Euro connections and will hit on the Euro draft. I think he mentioned he will be here until the Euro draft.
    Don’t know many teams that could go up against Brandon with one 19 and two 20 year olds and come out winners. Bad game, move on and try to be a 500 team the rest of the season.
    I also want to see what the future of this team is. Get the direction figured out for the fans, City and players/prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by here for the long run View Post
    I say 20 wins this year. I assume Anholt has better Euro connections and will hit on the Euro draft. I think he mentioned he will be here until the Euro draft.
    Don’t know many teams that could go up against Brandon with one 19 and two 20 year olds and come out winners. Bad game, move on and try to be a 500 team the rest of the season.
    I also want to see what the future of this team is. Get the direction figured out for the fans, City and players/prospects.
    20 wins this year will be a very difficult stretch considering the opponents over the final 19 games, pretty tuff, with maybe the exception of SASK, PA, MJ? This group will need to be much more committed, focused and willing to play two way hockey for a full 60 minutes, if they are to get to 20 wins before the season ends? Consistent play is what is lacking! (characteristic of young teams) The other thing is that with all the player changes made at the mid season point, jell and chemistry have to be a concern, most teams get that out of the way during the first half of the season before Christmas. Staying with a disciplined game plan is so important if teams want to win, they have proven that they can...have to be consistent though...2 or 3 more wins should be considered a success all things considered....

**Play Skinner and forget about the burnout BS, if he wants to play, let him play, were not making the playoffs anyway and it's an awfully long off season, that's my 2 cents!
    Last edited by sid75; 02-11-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Unless my memory is fading, I remember awhile back Skinner stood on his head and won a game for the Canes. I posted somewhere that I hoped Skinner would NOT get the start the next day as he was probably physically and mentally spent but he got the start and was pulled early.

I think Anholt made the right choice this time and gave the start to Sittler against the Wheaties. It did not work out but hindsight is 20/20. Don't forget that the Brandon game was played on a very short turn around time as it started at 4:00 and not 7:00. The Canes players probably has very little rest after getting to bed at about 2:00 AM after the game in the Hat and then playing again at 4:00 PM.

Also don't forget they had just beat the Tigers in back to back games. I am sure the kids were overjoyed and might have spent all their adrenaline by game time Sunday. In case you misread that: THE CANES JUST BEAT THEIR #1 NEMESIS, MEDICINE HAT IN BACK TO BACK GAMES. When was the last time they could say that?
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 02-11-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

20 wins this year will be a very difficult stretch , if they are to get to 20 wins before the season ends? Consistent play is what is lacking! **Play Skinner and forget about the burnout BS, if he wants to play, let him play, were not making the playoffs anyway and it's an awfully long off season, that's my 2 cents!
    I can't say for sure it was you, but when the Canes already had about 10 wins, someone on here said there is no way they will match last years total of 12 wins. That had to be one of the dumbest statements I have read on here. Lethbridge still had about 25 games left to play at that time.

This year I do think the Canes will win at least 20 games. Any more than that would be a bonus for them.

I also think Skinner should get the majority of the starts, but Sittler needs to play his fair share of games also. When people look down the long dark tunnel that is the Canes, the brightest light you will see is our goaltending situation next year. The Canes will have almost as good a goaltending tandem as any team in the league next year, barring any unfortunate or unforeseen circumstances. When it comes to the Canes, the last bit of the previous statement has to be taken into account.
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 02-11-2015 at 10:57 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by here for the long run View Post
    I assume Anholt has better Euro connections and will hit on the Euro draft. I think he mentioned he will be here until the Euro draft.
    I also trust Anholt with the high upcoming Import pick. He has been in the WHL for 25+ years hasn't he? I'm sure he has a few connections to scouts in Europe.

Don't forget Maxwell's experience and connections, his old teammate/buddy is Ken Holland (Detroit Red Wings GM)... that's how he got Kopecky 2nd overall in 2000.

The Russian economy is failing and rumours are their Junior League, or many of its franchises, may shut down after this season... that opens the door to several high quality Russian players... a D-man like Provorov, Valiev, or Osipov would be a great addition next year.

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    I can't say for sure it was you, but when the Canes already had about 10 wins, someone on here said there is no way they will match last years total of 12 wins. That had to be one of the dumbest statements I have read on here. Lethbridge still had about 25 games left to play at that time.

This year I do think the Canes will win at least 20 games. Any more than that would be a bonus for them.

I also think Skinner should get the majority of the starts, but Sittler needs to play his fair share of games also. When people look down the long dark tunnel that is the Canes, the brightest light you will see is our goaltending situation next year. The Canes will have almost as good a goaltending tandem as any team in the league next year, barring any unfortunate or unforeseen circumstances. When it comes to the Canes, the last bit of the previous statement has to be taken into account.
    Here is exactly what I said on 19Jan..."With just 29 games remaining with virtually no chance of a playoff opportunity again, players really have nothing to play for, especially the 20 yr/old guys. The changes likely place this team more on to a better track but again another direction is being pursued and will take time for changes to be believed in! The GM/coaching change should have been done prior to the start of this current season which would now be producing results...unfortunate, but is what it is!!! Will be extremely difficult to match the 12 wins accomplished last season, as it appears that the players have begun to check out already..."

The team has exceeded what I personally thought they were capable of and that is a good thing! I hope they can hit 20, 34 would be the best! Guess its up to them...Skinner is a beast!

***Big difference between "difficult" and "no way" dumb or dumber?
    Last edited by sid75; 02-12-2015 at 11:25 AM.