Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Season Tickets for 2015/2016

Ummmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader-Post Website
    http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/hoc...903/story.html

Regina Pats address ticket controversy

BY GREG HARDER, LEADER-POST FEBRUARY 21, 2015 11:42 AM

Regina Pats address ticket controversy

The Regina Pats’ new ticket prices are proving to be a tough sell.

The WHL club recently announced a location-based system which is being imposed for the 2015-16 season. That means the Pats are retiring the old adult-senior-youth model and replacing it with seats in two categories: Gold and silver.

The new framework is similar to what’s being offered in the NHL and by WHL teams like the Edmonton Oil Kings, Vancouver Giants, Portland Winterhawks and Everett Silvertips.

The Pats have already been approached by other clubs who are interested in updating their own ticket structures.

The issue for fans in Regina is the fact that eliminating senior and youth tickets could translate into a substantial price increase. There will also be a hike for adults in the gold section, although silver does offer a reduction.

“I know people will compare it to years past and suggest we have gone up considerably,” said Anthony Marquart, who leads the Pats’ new five-man ownership group. “I can’t speak to the past other than as a season-ticket holder myself. But I know there hasn’t been a price increase in at least four years. The price should have increased at a minimum for inflation, which it hasn’t. No franchise can exist long term by having the rates the way they were in the past.”

Despite revenue challenges, Marquart believes the Pats’ owners have put their money where their mouth is since purchasing the team from Russ Parker last spring for roughly $7.5 million. Of particular note, they spent more than $3 million on an NHL-calibre scoreboard and other related upgrades to the Brandt Centre.

On the hockey side, the Pats went “all in” by hiring one of the league’s most expensive coaching staffs, led by former NHL coach/GM John Paddock and assisted by former Saskatoon Blades bench boss Dave Struch. The club also added five new scouts as well as additional office/gameday staff, with the scoreboard alone requiring a new control room with a five-person crew.

“We have invested significant additional dollars into the Regina Pats and the (ticket) increase is nominal compared to the overall investment,” said Marquart, who pointed out that the new season-ticket rates translate to $10.53 per game in the silver section and $13.68 for gold.

“We think that’s a reasonable price for somebody to pay. This has nothing to do with paying for the scoreclock. There is no amount of season-ticket increase that will ever pay for the scoreclock. But we did it anyway because we wanted to do that for the community.”

Marquart anticipated some resistance to the new ticket structure and vows to listen to those concerns. However, he also hopes people consider the bigger picture.

“We fully support our season-ticket base,” he said. “Many of them have been there for years. What we’re saying to them now is, ‘This is a game-changer moment.’ We are committed to a winning franchise and improving the game-day experience. That costs money.”

Up to now, the changes implemented by the new owners have been generally applauded. However, the ticket increase appears to have struck a chord — especially with seniors.

In an email to the Leader-Post, Foster Monson noted the cost of his two season tickets — senior for himself and youth for his grandchild — will double in price from $520 to $1,040.

Jim Nelson paid $760 for two season tickets this year ($330 senior, $430 adult). If he takes advantage of the early bird rate, which is due at the end of April, those same tickets in the gold zone will cost $1,040.

“I expected an increase and I think it’s fully justified but — holy crap,” said Nelson. “I know someone who has been a season-ticket holder for over 40 years and he pretty much says, ‘That’s it; it’s too much for me.’

“They haven’t exactly got people lining up at the door for season tickets. It’s ill advised. They’re just slowly bringing the crowds back. I think the owners are doing a hell of a job actually — until they dropped this one on us.”

Arnice Crosthwaite was hit hard, too. She’s facing a 63 per cent increase on her two senior tickets in the gold zone.

“If you were renting a house and they increased your rent by 63 per cent, you’d move out,” she noted. “I think it’s drastic and not giving the seniors who have been going to those games for decades any break at all is outrageous.”

As a result, Crosthwaite said she and her husband will strongly consider not renewing for the first time in eight seasons.

“Most of the people who sit around us have been season-ticket holders for quite a while,” she continued. “I’d say more than half of them have said the same thing to me, that they don’t intend to renew.

“It’s kind of sad because it’s fun to go to the games, but we can take our $700 and go someplace else.”

The Pats’ season-ticket base has dipped in recent years to just under 2,700. Marquart doesn’t want that number to fall even more, but he thinks fans will be more amenable to the changes once they have a better understanding of the options at their disposal, including family packs, multi-game flex packs and group rates for schools, charities and other community programs.

“We’re not trying to hurt seniors; it’s the opposite,” said Marquart. “We’re not trying to hurt families. We want all of them to participate. That’s why we’re offering payment plans. We want to give everybody an opportunity to sit where they want to sit and to be able to pay for it.”

With that in mind, the Pats are holding a “town-hall meeting” today at the Brandt Centre (5:15 p.m.) prior to their game against the Red Deer Rebels. Marquart and president Todd Lumbard are slated to attend and answer questions.

“We’re here to speak to anybody,” added Marquart. “We’re passionate. We know we’re doing the right thing. We’re bringing some other initiatives in which fans haven’t seen yet. As the years go on, we’re going to be more and more involved in the community. We’re going to be donating more back to the community. We hope our fans appreciate that and come out and support the team.”

gharder@leaderpost.com

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Thanks Kevin I do not get the Leader Post. From the article it seams the new owners are set on this path and will not change. Interesting the only WHL teams in our conference that market by zones are Edm and Cal and both have over a million population and an NHL team that helps market season tickets. The average season ticket price for the east Div. is $510.00 and west div. is $560.00 and these owners set the price at $625.00. It is a professional system, right in line with most AHL teams. I for one, think it is a huge mistake to no have a youth, season and game day ticket. The WHL games will be like the NHL games adults only and then the Brandt centre will be quiet as a mouse.

These guys are pathetic. Marquardt says we are trying to help out by doing a "Payment Plan" We will help you people like seniors and youth pay the extortionist rate by making instalments. How asinine!

If these guys had staff asking for a 63% increase or were facing a 63-100% increase in their material and goods, they would be out of business. It's good they have deep pockets as they may need it to pay for the shortfall that is inevitably coming.

When the average fans is only facing a 20% increase I think although high, is liveable. Why should students and youth pay 63% more when everyone else pays only 20% more! One can seriously start to think of buying the full On-demand package.

You can watch home and away at a far cheaper rate. It's the way of the future. Sad to see folks driven from their seats.

I see no point to attending the meeting later this evening. Here's how it will go :
    • Owners will attempt to justify obscene prices increases climing you receive value for money spent
    • Owners say look you have wonderful payment plan and disregard the fact a family of four has to still shell out over $2000 for CHL tickets no matter how you pay for it. Remember this is not a brass and oak coffin with silk lining
    • ticket holders will complain and tell the owners they will not renew with no change in prices
    • Owners will walk away thinking that they have listened to ticket holders and everybody will renew
    • ticket holders will walk away more p*ssed off vowing not to renew
    Last edited by dsquared; 02-21-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Iconwhl

Just getting ready to leave for this meeting and I agree with all points made. I have made copies of the league wide season ticket holder prices for this season to hand out.

I wonder if the owners have looked into league wide prices or just based our prices on a certain percentage increase..... I think ill hand a copy to Anthony as well
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

I have no problem with seniors paying the same price as everyone else but to increase ticket prices $90/year. They should have introduced the gold silver section pricing this year as status quo for $450 for everyone and then increase them gradually over the next 2 seasons. They may have a plan for a team to challenge for a mem cup, but here's a news flash your years away from that so your increasing prices for the game day experience (game changer) is not for the on ice product, yet. Can I charge the pats for every time i miss action because some idiot walks in front of me when the play is on. Maybe negotiate a better concession deal with the exhibition board or build your own rink. The parking situation sucks too. When you bundle everything together have you really improved the game day experience. All the changes are for the future except the score clock, so in my opinion I would do a gradually change and within 2-3 years your price increases would be met with little to no resentment.

Just my opinion.

Iconchl

How about the owners focus on something that will actually improve game experience and get rid of that terrible black netting that is hard to see through. Most places have went with a white one that you barely notice or even more of a clear fishing line material that is extremely thin but still stops a puck no problem. Maybe that is Evraz places responsibility but that is something people would appreciate in my mind.

Dsquared you were right on. The deed was done and the owners only wanted to sell their side.
    I for one will not be buying the play off package this season. Will attend the two games in this year tickets but will not after that it will be web cast for the rest. Hoping a lot of people do the same, the Pats get 2nd and Swift wins a game. It will be 6484 for games 1 & 2, 3 & 4 in Swift and game 5 with 3000 in the rink. Make sure you e-mail the Pats and tell them you are not purchasing the play off package as a protest to the 2015/16 season tickets.

BIGHTHAT…really!!! You don't think seniors and students should get a break. Students have meagre incomes working at Mcdonalds or babysitting. Seniors have in many cases small fixed incomes. A senior couple who have to pay $1040 over $660 told me they may have to choose paying their water bill or buy Pats tickets. Maybe one day you will have the privilege of having a small fixed income, and having to live off that. Selling off your tickets is your option, but there is a couple target groups who would like to keep theirs.

Calgary and Kelowna who have been winning franchises charge seniors and students about $400 for their seasons tickets. In Regina it's $520 or 23% more! Is there any reason why seniors pay 23% more in Regina than Calgary? OR 63% more than last season.

If they wanted to increase everything by 20% across the board, that even though high would have been more fair. They treatment of seniors and students is deplorable since they were the ones who kept this teams seasons ticket base up there in the poor years.

Young families between mid 20's and early 40's don't buy seasons tickets because they're busy with their kids. Trying to get new immigrant families into the rink is impossible at these rates. This ownership group has hurt themselves more than they know.
    Last edited by chopper; 02-22-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: type-o,

Chopper the seniors in my section and the ones I know have more money then working 35-55 people. There should be a family section just like football games at a reduced rate. I don't agree with the price increase of non early bird prices or game day but the early bird price at $540 is in line with every other team. I can also see paid parking again once the stadium is finished. I've made my desicion to not buy playoff package and to not renew my season tickets for a few reasons which include the early bird renewal date. I do realize that there are seniors who will have to make tough desicions to renew or not or just have rider season tickets. Yes I know seniors have both rider and pats season tickets. With the discounts they receive they can afford both, which working 35-55 individuals can not.