Thread: Capstick verbally commits to Notre Dame

Default Capstick verbally commits to Notre Dame

I mentioned in another post that Alec Capstick had been touring some US colleges while travelling with his academy team on tournaments in the U.S. Today SB Nation reports he has verbally committed to play for Notre Dame.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...-to-notre-dame

I'm not sure why you'd commit as a 15 year old. That makes even less sense than signing a WHL contract as a 15 year old. Especially to commit to a middling Div 1 team that has to get past BU and Boston College to even get out of their conference into the NCAA tournament. But two things are certain in the NCAA:

I posted earlier that I thought Paterson and Kustra were the key to the '99 draft class. After seeing Kustra play last weekend, I'm not so sure that's the case anymore. I don't have much use for those soft academy leagues, and Kustra may have vaulted past Capstick simply by playing in a more competitive league this year. At any rate, Kustra is a Saskatchewan kid who wants to play here. Capstick apparently is neither. I'm not going to lose sleep over unproven youngsters, and I think we only have room for one '99 D with Higson and Reid in the fold anyways. It'll be interesting to see if Capstick shows up for Fall Camp. I bet he does...

Quote Originally Posted by EastDivFan View Post
    I posted earlier that I thought Paterson and Kustra were the key to the '99 draft class. After seeing Kustra play last weekend, I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.
    That's a rather egregious typo. I meant to say "I posted earlier that I thought Paterson and Capstick were the key to the '99 draft class." I hope that makes more sense. I thought Kustra looked very good in his two games as a call up last weekend.

I'm going to take a wait & see attitude on this for atleast 2 yrs. A lot can change before he enrolls at Notre Dame. Maybe he gets tired of the competition at the jr.b level, Maybe an agent gets in his ear, maybe he gets drafted 2 yrs from now & the team wants him in the whl. Could his family be waiting to see how the blades changes over the next 2 yrs? IMO, he looked really good at camp last fall, good enough to step in this yr & not look out of place.

If he doesn't come to camp this coming fall or next yr, then I'd drop him off the 50 ppl. Until then he's worth the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by EastDivFan View Post
    That's a rather egregious typo. I meant to say "I posted earlier that I thought Paterson and Capstick were the key to the '99 draft class." I hope that makes more sense. I thought Kustra looked very good in his two games as a call up last weekend.
    I wanted to see Kustra play but I was sick. Glad he didn't disappoint. Wonder if he stays up for 5 games?