Thread: where's the woods love?

Default where's the woods love?

last season so many saying how good a job struch did with the blades given what he had to work with and he should have been given a second season behind the bench. not going to argue he had done a fine job.

the blades are on track to win a little over 20 games this season. i would argue bob woods has had even less to work with, especially with the deletion of scherbak from the roster, yet where is the pat on the back for woods?

woods inherited a roster that over and over was built trading picks and prospects for players to help now, only the now never came, the prospect list was wiped out.

i hope management and ownership can be patient. a lot of bitterness to overcome, and lots of that will only be overcome by winning. winning not just in the regular season, but in the playoffs too. a lot of wait and see, show me, attitude. i'm sure the $$$ losses will be significant for last season, this season, and potentially another two to come before the team improves and starts to become a better draw again.

I think Bob has done a good job for what he has to work with and for bring a rookie coach in the WHL.Being patient and building through the draft and development of the players is the key.(and drafting quality players)

Woods in my opinion is not a very good GM. Some of his early trades were questionable at best. He was also very slow deciding that playing the young guys was the way to go. 20 points out of the last playoff spot in December and he still has hope? I think the guy at the other end of the bench is the brains behind the coaching. Dean Brockman, if not the smartest coach I have met, would be top two. He is head and shoulders above Woods, and related to him also. Sorry, no love here for Woods at this time.

I think he is doing a fine job and will do a fine job moving forward. Fans sometimes have unrealistic expectations when crappy teams are rebuilding. Last years 16 win team was a terrible team with one superstar on the team making it interesting. That team had to be gutted this year. Almost everyone they cut could not find another place to play in the whl. It will come. They will be slightly better next year, and likely really good the year after. And yes Dean Brokman is a terrific coach as well. So is Dave Struch. It's ok to like them both. It's not a pick one or the other type of deal here.

Quote Originally Posted by curwie View Post
    I think he is doing a fine job and will do a fine job moving forward. Fans sometimes have unrealistic expectations when crappy teams are rebuilding. Last years 16 win team was a terrible team with one superstar on the team making it interesting. That team had to be gutted this year. Almost everyone they cut could not find another place to play in the whl. It will come. They will be slightly better next year, and likely really good the year after. And yes Dean Brokman is a terrific coach as well. So is Dave Struch. It's ok to like them both. It's not a pick one or the other type of deal here.
    "Its not a pick one or the other type of deal here"? And that means what?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    "Its not a pick one or the other type of deal here"? And that means what?

Some fans that I have spoken to don't like Woods because of how Struch was treated. I liked Dave, and he didn't deserve to be fired, but to say Woods is garbage compared to Struch is horse crap. Not saying you in particular Madmax, I'm just finally venting. I apologize if it's over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by curwie View Post
    Some fans that I have spoken to don't like Woods because of how Struch was treated. I liked Dave, and he didn't deserve to be fired, but to say Woods is garbage compared to Struch is horse crap. Not saying you in particular Madmax, I'm just finally venting. I apologize if it's over the top.
    Well I don't blame Woods. I think it was Jr. that didn't want Struch as his coach. Also I don't think Woods is garbage. I would never say that about anyone. I just don't like his style as a GM or coach. Nothing personnel.

I think Woods has done fine. People need to give him a chance. IMO the Blades have done better then I expected and I think he's part of the reason. From what I've heard the players like playing for him just like they liked playing for Struch.

When it comes to the trades, there's been some that were iffy but I think hedid well at the deadline and did well getting a solid return for Scherbak. Amundrud I think is capable of being a good WHL goaltender and next year will be a big test.

The Blades have signed or gotten at least a verbal commitment from all their top prospects, with the exception of Hausinger. Looking at their "In the system" page on their website, they've listed some players that are having a good season in their respective leagues.

If Hausinger does report, that'll be a big coup for Woods and the team.