Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prospects

Default Prospects

Just for interest I have done a bit of research on some prospects.

Hollett's numbers are underwhelming. (2.52 GAA - .894 SVA). Numbers are always tough to judge for Goalies. A good team can inflate numbers and a bad team can deflate them pretty quickly.

Defensemen:
    3 guys had pretty good seasons
    Freadrich played in the AJHL (1st year) and had 11 points in 45 games. Decent numbers for a d-man
    Pouteau had an OK season with the Midget Valley Hawks (14 points)
    Lovell had 22 points in midget, but was one of the older guys, so you would hope for some production

Forwards
    A number of guys had a point a game in midget (Gardiner, Haden, Leschyshyn)
    Carson Welke had an OK year for a very young Maulers club (26 points in 40 games)
    Jacob Elmer had a good year at the Edge Hockey School.
    Adam Berg had a terrific year with the AJHL Mustangs 36 points in 49 games

Then there are two guys that could be stars in the making. Only problem is they are a little on the small side.
    Riley Woods scored 59 points in 42 games on a very good Pat Canadian team. Woods is a '98.
    Now for the WOW factor.
    Dalton Ossman is a '99 and scored 80 points (40 and 40) in 36 games. He has a late November birthday so he is still a 15 year old. Listed a 5'9. Here hoping he puts on a growth spurt.

I've been following a number of the Pats prospects this season. A couple things about the defensemen.

Brady Pouteau was injured for half the season, but was still the most productive defenseman in the 19 games he played. He's now 3rd in playoff scoring on the team with 8 assists in 6 games.

William Lovell played the whole season and put up decent points himself. You say he's an older guy, but he's actually still 16 till May. He's only played two playoff games though. Possibly injured. Him and Pouteau seem like strong candidates to make the team next season. Pouteau is pretty well a lock, in my opinion.

Haven't followed Freadrich as much, but the last I saw he was doing pretty good for a 16yo defenseman playing in the AJHL. If he is skilled with the puck and more offensive, he might be of interest to Paddock next season.

As for the forwards...

Gardiner and Elmer have got to be locks for next season. Gardiner has looked good on his call ups this season. A little hesitant, but got more comfortable and looked good for 15. Was the top 15yo in the SMAAAHL I think even. Same for Elmer's call ups. He is barely 16 and has had a good season also. He is right up there in scoring for being so young yet.

Gary Haden is looking to be a possible late round surprise. His season with the Pats prospect stacked Bisons has been really good and appeared to have gotten better and better all season. In the playoffs, which their team is undefeated, Haden has 14pts in 7 games. Zachary Cox has been far less productive. Many Guns has had a good season too. Another team had listed him before, forget who, but they had dropped him. Still interested to see how he looks come camp. I'll just add that Chapman appears to be doing stellar in net with them also.

Riley Woods is really small. I think he is actually smaller than Kailer Yamamoto, and after seeing Kailer playing in Regina, it's kind of hard to imagine him against bigger players. He's likely still going to grow a bit, but how soon??

Dalton Ossman is a bit bigger and is starting to put up ridiculous numbers for a mid placed team. He's playing against only 15 year olds, but he's definitely at the top of the league. He had a slower start, then turned it up as the season went on also. His team has made it to the provincial finals, losing only in the south division gold medal game. He has racked up 17pts in five playoff games. Seems he is carrying his team. Would be awesome if he keeps excelling and becomes a star in a few years. Best part, he was listed!

Not sure about Carson Welke. I'm not sure if him and his brother, McKenzie, play on the same line or not. They may want to play together somewhere and I don't think that will be with the Pats. I think I read somewhere they are prepared not to though. McKenzie has been having a better season too and went undrafted.

The cupboards are definitely better stocked these days. The '99 defensemen coming up are looking pretty good too. Bruce and Ewert are both looking good. Bruce is doing good playing against older players on a decent team, while Ewert was 4th in scoring on his Thompson Blazer team in the BCMMHL. They finished dead last and the entire defense was 15 year olds. Wonder how he'd have done on a better team??
    Last edited by Fight Guy; 03-12-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Zimmer also had a pretty good year. 36 pts in 34 games in the MJHL, and made the rookie all star team.

Im also hoping that many guns guy makes an appearance someday just because its the ultimate tough guy name.

I left Zimmer and Berg out just because they are older and both can play in the league. I'm still waiting for Berg to get called up for the rest of the season. Zimmer looked extremely good in his one game call up this season. He could end up being really good yet, but not sure if he will make the cut if the Pats want to continue with a younger line-up next season.

Though Mumby doesn't want to come back, he has had a really good season in the AJHL too. I feel like he would have had a good season if he had been with the Pats. Going by what other players have come out and said about past seasons, Mumby probably felt the same way and likely played a factor. I thought I read his mom was sick or something too, and he wanted to be closer to home as well.

Many Guns is an interesting story. I think he was at Notre Dame a couple of years ago. I think he was listed by US team and dropped in the summer. I am not sure of his background but, this could be his first year of playing major midget hockey.
    Seems to have some skill. but, the kid is huge!!!

Many Guns played in the AMMHL last season with the Rockyview Raiders. Same league as Ossman. Had 42pt in 37 games. Led his team in points.

Ended this season with 25pts in 34 games with the UFA Bisons. He hadn't been as productive in the last part of the season, but still decent. Has 2 goals and 1 assist in seven playoff games.

Looks like Riley Woods will be playing Brady Pouteau in the Western Regional's this year. Pat C's wrapped up the Provincial Championship tonight and the 5th seeded Pembina Valley Hawks won in OT in game 5 tonight against the 2nd seeded Brandon Wheat Kings to take Manitoba. They swept the 1st seeded Wild the series before. Pouteau has racked up 15pts in 12 games. Lovell had to have gotten injured early in the playoffs as he hasn't played since the second game.

Now if the UFA Bison's can win tomorrow night, the Pats would have eight prospects on winning teams and on each of those teams, at least one Pats prospect has been a major contributor. Woods, Pouteau, Haden, and Chapman have been huge for their teams.

So, all three of these teams won their Provincials. UFA Bisons won Alberta Provincials today 5-0. Champan looked solid and got the shut-out and Haden had at least 3pts. Actually found out late that the game was being streamed live and managed to catch the last 10 mins or so. We've all been wondering about Many Guns, and it appears he can actually skate! Wasn't real fast, but he's certainly not just a big body as he can handle the puck decently too. This is from the five shifts or so I saw him play.

Pats 50-man list has been updated and there are a couple new listed players and the 2015 draft class. Probably be updated again after Spring camp with updated player info. Plus I'm sure they're be some shuffling soon after.

Koberstien is gone, or was he already off the list before? Don't remember for sure, but no surprise obviously. While I wondered what was up with William Lovell when he was no longer apart of the Pembina Hawks in the playoffs, he is also no longer listed either. An eye opening addition though... '98 Trevor Woytcke out of Minnesota is at or near 6'5" and 200lbs. I wonder how much interest he has in the WHL as he has great size. I'll presume he has some skating ability as that's what Paddock desires, but who knows right now. Either way, the Pats look to have some good size all around coming up on defense.

Pats have also listed '99 goalie Ben Laidlaw out of Alberta. Played in the AMMHL last season and is from the same system as Haden, Cox, and Chapman. With this addition, the Pats currently have six goalies including Wapple and Brown. Things just got more crowded. It's easy to see now that one of this seasons goalies will definitely be moved.
    Last edited by Fight Guy; 05-24-2015 at 12:51 PM.

A few videos of Trevor Woytcke. #18 on the red team.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4938523/highlights