Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Pats v Wheaties round 2

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    As an outsider looking at the Pats, I would think Paddock is building the team to peak in 2 years time, no? Also that should be about the same time Brandon takes a step backwards I think.

Watching the Pats for this playoff series, I would think next year they should be a 90 point team. But the Wheat Kings will be just as good next year, if not better than this year. But 2016/17 will be the Pats time to shine.
    I think your correct about building for two seasons from now. I agree that 90 points should be very attainable considering they had 85 this season. Hockey however has a lot of twists and turns.

There won't be much room at any positions for next season. The Pats may be a victim of their own riches. For example if young Schoiler out of Winnipeg reports there will be some league ready prospects who would lose a spot. There will be some hard decisions to make.

This is where hockey makes some twists and turns. If the Pats have league ready prospects with no spots, they may need to trade them. If that were to occur they may acquire a couple of more high end seasoned players. If that were to happen 90 points could jump to 100.

Barring some moves, Wapple, Williams, Cooper are a fairly formidable group of overagers. Not much better anywhere. If they were finally lucky enough to get an impact import, the water could get even mirkier.

After many years or decades of building for the here and now, they finally have a blueprint in place. Paddock made some gut wrenching moves at the deadline to build with a distinct vision of the future. I think he will see it through. IMO the ship has been righted, now it's just an exercise in patience.

Brandon had a great season winning the entire league. I wish them luck going forward. I'm still a Klimchuk fan.

Chopper on the overage players next year. "food for thought " If we are building for 2 and 3 seasons from now (2016/17 and 2017/18) and we want to develop Hollett is it not a viable option to trade Wapple and go with Brown and Hollett on a 70/30 or 75/25 split. If we go with Wapple/Hollett next season then Hollett would be your starter in 2016/17 as a 17year old and we may have to trade for a older tender. Of course the Pats could have Hollett play midget and go with Wapple/Brown but that makes Brown the starter in the (2016/17 season). Just thoughts, and how the Pats get the best tender for the right season.
    We need a new thread to work on next season roster or rooster

3. Default

Any thoughts on the young 98's that were with the team at the end? Will Elmer, Pouteau & Krushen all be here next year? Is there much room for any of the other prospects in the system to make this team next year? Seems to be a few 99, 98's in the system equal to these 3 that could take their spot or are those 3 a for sure thing next year? Did Pouteau or Krushen play much the last game and how did they look? I see Elmer didn't dress. Are there any other 98 or 99's signed?

Not much to say about this last series. After the first round sweep, I was pretty well completely happy with this season. Anything more was bonus. The bonus... Some of the best hockey in many years, close hockey (this series was a couple OT saves away from being a 3-2 lead for the Wheat Kings OR the Pats going in to a game six last night), and the experience they gained is going to be very valuable in the future. The veterans stepped up way more than I could have imagined and they were a huge difference. They were pretty down when the 19's were traded and thrown into leadership roles. after some bumps, they took it on fully, and they showed it more than ever. Christoffer and D'Amico were out of control in the playoffs and Padakin did what was expected of him. He was the only one with decent experience, and he took over against the Broncos. We also saw Williams emerge as a top defensman. He earned every ounce of his All-Star recognition. Easily the captain next season. Another one that somehow seemed to step up even more than he already had all season was Brooks. He did some unreal things in these games that no one ever could have expected at the beginning of the season. A few people didn't have him making the team this season. I have no idea how Brooks' series clinching shorthanded goal in game 4 didn't make the plays of the first round. I would expect him to be a top 20 in this league when the Pats are going for it.

Otherwise, great season. Haven't been this excited about next season in a long time. There's actually something to look forward to. This team is going to be hungry as hell in the fall and now know how to step up their game and what it takes to play at a high level.

I have thoughts on next season already as well and will start that thread now...

Quote Originally Posted by RWAH View Post
    Chopper on the overage players next year. "food for thought " If we are building for 2 and 3 seasons from now (2016/17 and 2017/18) and we want to develop Hollett is it not a viable option to trade Wapple and go with Brown and Hollett on a 70/30 or 75/25 split. If we go with Wapple/Hollett next season then Hollett would be your starter in 2016/17 as a 17year old and we may have to trade for a older tender. Of course the Pats could have Hollett play midget and go with Wapple/Brown but that makes Brown the starter in the (2016/17 season). Just thoughts, and how the Pats get the best tender for the right season.
    We need a new thread to work on next season roster or rooster
    The scenarios you present all make sense. I am pretty sure that they have every intention of keeping Hollett next season, but who will be #1 is a question mark perhaps. Wapple is the obvious choice however it's his last year and that makes Hollett the #1 guy at 17 years of age. Not many goalies in the league lead a team to a championship at 17.

They could go with Brown and Hollett, but that's a pretty inexperienced tandem. They may try to latch onto a good 19 year old goalie (i.e. Sittler in Lethbridge) so they could have him for two seasons. That could allow the team to locate one more good positional player. Last season we all had McVeigh and Sinitsyn pencilled in as 20 year olds, but that changed as well. It will be interesting.

The scenario that has played out in my mind is that Wapple and Brown start the season. My guess is Paddock moves Wapple at some point during the season and it's at that point Hollett is called up to back up Brown. That way the following season you have a 19yo Brown, who I expect to be a pretty decent goalie from what we saw this season, and a 17yo Hollett who'll likely push Brown for the starting position. They could potentially be a really good tandem who push each other throughout the season. After that season though, it's Hollett. Chapman is having a good season, too. Maybe he blows peoples pants off at camp??

What would it take for Regina to lure skinner out of lethbridge?
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

We don't need skinner were very deep in net. We will be in the market to trade a goalie or 2 next year.