Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2015/16 Roster Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post
    I agree there are some decent 20 year olds available up front. Gut tells me KTN the most likely target with their team looking well below avg.

The 20 year old goalie thing makes zero sense to me. To tie up a 20 year old spot with an avg goalie, which they all are, when you have a half decent goalie already that is a year younger.....not sure the value is there. Whistle had very comparable numbers to Toth last season, and Toth has better numbers in playoffs, albeit with less games played. I think us fans want to see Cam Ward in net this year, the problem is the goaltending in the league right now is just ok, so comparatively we already have quite good goaltending.
    It does make some sense. The Rebels need a solid backup goaltender, one that is on par or close to Toth in ability. If Toth gets injured leading up to the playoffs/Memorial Cup tournament, and is unable to play, who is their go-to guy? Seems like quite a gamble to go into the tournament with a goaltender that will have six to eight games under their belt by that point. An overage goaltender will in all likelihood be quite experienced, and come at a considerably lower cost than a comparable goaltender that isn't overage.

Its easy to say make this better, trade that guy, but you really do have to look at the environment of the league, and i think throughout the lineup the team is very balanced at all positions, when compared to other top end teams.
    Except in goal, where there is a pretty sharp dropoff in experience and/or ability after Toth. I suspect though, that when Sutter does address this issue, it will be closer to the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post

The 20 year old goalie thing makes zero sense to me. To tie up a 20 year old spot with an avg goalie, which they all are, when you have a half decent goalie already that is a year younger.....not sure the value is there. Whistle had very comparable numbers to Toth last season, and Toth has better numbers in playoffs, albeit with less games played. I think us fans want to see Cam Ward in net this year, the problem is the goaltending in the league right now is just ok, so comparitively we already have quite good goaltending.

Its easy to say make this better, trade that guy, but you really do have to look at the environment of the league, and i think throughout the lineup the team is very balanced at all positions, when compared to other top end teams. Brandon obv strong everywhere, but them aside the teams depth is as good as any roster i have seen. For the sake of the team going forward, they can probably get away with adding 1-2 more top end forwards or d, and do it without totally &$&@$ thr future, which as a fan i'm most happy with.
    I don't know if I am that comfortable going into the memorial cup season with a goalie that has one whl year under his belt and (to my knowledge) has never played in anything close to as big a stage as what the Memorial cup is going to be. Don't get me wrong, Toth exceeded my expectations last year with what he offered this team, but I don't think a first round exit to the MH Tigers in the playoffs would have put him anywhere near the pressure that the Memorial cup tournmant will be. With it being such a short tournament, there is no time to falter under the pressure of the situation. It would be different had Red Deer gone on a bit of a run last year and won a round or two to give Toth some more experience with it.

In the case of a guy like Whistle, he has been there before and knows going in what to expect which in itself is a huge asset. Kelowna has 3 goaltenders who have shown they can play in this league which could make Whislte expendable for not as high a price.

As for the concern about giving up the forward 20 year old spot, unless we see a substantial increase in consistency and offensive output from Kopeck (or the upgrade that Brent decides to replace him with), I can't see how they couldn't find an 18 or 19 year old to fill the role that Kopeck played on the team last year.

No Meyer Nell to start camp. Not near the hit that the no shows were last year. Have to wonder if the writing was on the wall with this one as seems funny a guy would decide quit hockey the year his team is guaranteed a spot for the cup. 7 guys attending NHL camps this year and I can't see any of them sticking in the show. On paper it is looking like a group that a guy should be able to start to get excited about. It is played on the ice though.

Default OK Red Celtic ... Here goes with my mid-camp attempt at the team

My guess at the 25 man roster.
    Goal - Toth - Martin
    Defense - Doetzel - Fleury - Nogier - Bobyk - Strand - Mahura - Schmoorkoff - Pouliot
    Forwards - Kopeck - W. Johnson - Bleakley - Nicolishin - Spacek - Musil - Polei - Pederson - Pawlenchuk - Pratt - deWit - R. Johnson - Gladu - Sherban - Bains

Only two games in, but looking like the Rebels might have the best imports they have had since Roman Wick and Martin Hanzel. Good two wins to start the season.

Hanzal played with Kirill Starkov, who was even better than Wick! They are still without their two best players (on paper) as well. I had Spacek penciled in as a fixture on the second line this season, but he may wind up on the first line yet!