Thread: Year end summary

Default Year end summary

With no disrespect to the Pats, because they were full deserving of the result they achieved, still in a state of shock that 4 games is all it took to end this years team. Now that the season is over, 5 players sign pro contracts, another invited to the U-18's and yet another ranked in the top 20 North American skaters. All that talent was guided by Lamb to 0 playoff wins. I suppose not much should have been expected with a career 3-12 playoff record. I read that the captain has taken the fall and thrown himself on the sword for the teams results. Nothing from the brilliant coaching staff on accepting any responsibility on a season that can only be considered a total failure. I remember sitting through a 2 hour presentation 3 years ago on how there was a plan in place to raise the standards and make the Broncos an elite franchise. I have long since farted out the smoke that they tried to blow up my ass that night. Lamb was put in charge of all things related to the team and it is blatantly obvious he is completely under qualified to do much of anything. With all respect to the guys that put on the suit, Lamb could *@&# up the job of being Charlie Horse if given the chance. I actually wonder what the point is in *****ing about Lamb as it seems painfully clear that the board could care less about the direction of this club. If fans would like the mediocre achieving teams, Lamb hockey is for you. This coach can make great players look good and good players look average. Any quality player that is here, gets so worn out half way through the season by being over played and put in situations where they can't succeed, they look a fraction of what they could be. Is it any wonder kids don't want to come here and others want to be traded out. With yearly failures like this, the end of this franchise is inevitable. Seriously considering seeing what teams like Regina and Medicine Hat provide for partial season ticket packages and commute to weekend games in those cities.

Default I agree

Either Lambchops goes or kiss this team goodbye. Big mistake choosing him over Habchied(sp)

Remember the past, live for the present, look to the future.

I support the TEAM no matter WHO is coach or on the board 'cause I AM A BRONCO FAN!!!!

This easily was the most disappointing season I have seen. I'd think most fans would probably concur with that statement. Rewind to the preseason expectations where SC should be competing with Brandon for the East Division crown. I think it may have been Guy Fleming that picked SC to beat Brandon. However they never really managed to figure things out.
    To me the season looked like it could be a write off in October when the Honka news came about. This whole situation really bothered me. Rumours aside, how can this management team not know the terms and how they've acquired?
    By the end of the season we looked done. It became obvious what other teams needed to do to beat SC. Get on the for check and force the D to make quick decisions. Our D would then panic and go off the glass and out, only to give the puck up and restart this process. If I can pick up on this I can't imagine other teams with smart hockey minds not, this is exactly how Regina had success. Yet despite this, the staff couldn't make adjustments. I don't know everything that they tried, but nothing worked.
    If it wasn't an inability to adjust system it was the players. Lamb takes a lot of heat for riding his top guys, but that's because Lamb created a top heavy team. Who else should he have rode? It bothered me that it was OK to send LeSann and MacKay out time after time despite continually chasing on the ice. I've said it before I just hoped they'd get off the ice without a -1 on the stat sheet.* Then you have a player like Steenbergen who despite his talent was mainly stuck on the forth line. Funny how good teams play the good kids despite their age.
    In all honesty it was the trade deadline I lost a lot of my optimism for the season. The first part is Martin wanting out, without him half of our vaulted D was no longer around. The next part is hearing accounts of multiple players not wanting to be traded to SC. Then there was Thomson being traded for. In my eyes he should be a bottom two pairing, not a top pairing (although rumour has it he's retiring this summer). The last part, and most frustrating was the mixed message from the trades. Trading Martin for a 1st accompanied by Thomson should mean let's restart and rebuild. At least it would to me. Yet when the dust settled, instead of getting a kings ransom for the Heatheringtons or Lernouts we get a four game sweep. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd prefer to know the direction, and if it fails admit failure and start again.*
    The good news for about 85% of Bronco fans is Lamb had two years left. My worry is perhaps we are about to embark on a path similar to the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

At least next year my expectations of being a non playoff team should be met. It might make next year more enjoyable then this year.

Toswammi I would agree with your post. I'm disappointed with how we looked like a team right out of gas when got to the playoffs. What I really can't understand was making all of the trades for 19 year olds that weren't really good at even the fourth line roles of playing with energy and checking the opposition. Next year will be a major rebuild with us to likely be a basement dweller in the division. What I have a difficult time with is that if Lamb starts another rebuild I have little faith he can build a contender. I would prefer to give someone else a chance since we need to rebuild anyway.

Default 20 year olds

Congratulations to the five Broncos who have received pro contracts after this season. I wish them well.
    I'm wondering who the three twenty year old group will be next year besides Bow our goaltender? Also, will Bow be dealt at the trade deadline next year to a contending team looking for depth in that area?

Default A few things to remember

Before we go too nuts trying to run coaches out of town, lets remember a few things.

The Broncos got screwed. Politics caused Julius Honka to not return. Put Honka on our blueline and the season would have ended differently. Not Lamb's fault that happened.

Dillon Heatherington missing 20 games. Not Lamb's fault our best d-man got injured and wasn't able to return to form in time.

Josh Connolly not reporting. Lamb pulled off a great trade to get one of the leagues best offensive d-men to Swift, but he wanted to be closer to home and didn't report. Our top four d-men should have been Heatherington, Lernout, Honka and Connolly. Not Lamb's fault it wasn't.

How about an idiot GM in Lethbridge getting snowed in trades with Brandon? Brandon built it's team through 3 lop-sided trades with a Lethbridge GM that is now out of the league. Not Lamb's fault.

Let's also remember that under Lamb, we have had back to back World Junior gold medalists, will have back to back NHL 1st round picks. 4 players in the top prospect game over the past 2 years, 3 players sign pro deals this year and 1 league MVP two seasons ago.

Mark is a good coach. Swift Current isn't the easiest place to be a major junior coach. He's as good as we're going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarter Century Fan View Post
    Congratulations to the five Broncos who have received pro contracts after this season. I wish them well.
    I'm wondering who the three twenty year old group will be next year besides Bow our goaltender? Also, will Bow be dealt at the trade deadline next year to a contending team looking for depth in that area?
    I'd go Merkley and likely Nickel with a third forward brought in from outside the organization. Considering the type of team we have I'd deal Bow to a team that could better use his talents and ride Child with the rebuild.

A few things to remember
    Before we go too nuts trying to run coaches out of town, lets remember a few things.

The Broncos got screwed. Politics caused Julius Honka to not return. Put Honka on our blueline and the season would have ended differently. Not Lamb's fault that happened.

Dillon Heatherington missing 20 games. Not Lamb's fault our best d-man got injured and wasn't able to return to form in time.

Josh Connolly not reporting. Lamb pulled off a great trade to get one of the leagues best offensive d-men to Swift, but he wanted to be closer to home and didn't report. Our top four d-men should have been Heatherington, Lernout, Honka and Connolly. Not Lamb's fault it wasn't.

How about an idiot GM in Lethbridge getting snowed in trades with Brandon? Brandon built it's team through 3 lop-sided trades with a Lethbridge GM that is now out of the league. Not Lamb's fault.

Let's also remember that under Lamb, we have had back to back World Junior gold medalists, will have back to back NHL 1st round picks. 4 players in the top prospect game over the past 2 years, 3 players sign pro deals this year and 1 league MVP two seasons ago.

Mark is a good coach. Swift Current isn't the easiest place to be a major junior coach. He's as good as we're going to get.
    Unfortunately the board was stupid enough to give an extension before the season started, even after minimal on ice improvement, so no, they can't afford to run Lamb out of town.

If Lamb didn't know the rules with regards to Honka than shame on him for not doing his job.

When Heatherington came back, it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the team wasn't going anywhere far in the playoffs. Like Toswammi said, why the hell was a trade not made when Heatherington's stock was at its highest. Same goes for Lowry's last year here as well. Broncos got a first round exit for all that talent as well.

If Lamb doesn't misuse Martin's talents, Martin doesn't want out in the first place.

With all the good players we have had here, Lamb has only produced 500 hockey teams and that is his fault.

Lamb is not a good coach. His record speaks for itself. If he was pulling this **** in another city in the WHL that had more money, he'd have been gone long ago.

I wonder if Lambert was ever considered here? Because the Rockets sure suck don't they? The Lamb era just may end the Broncos in Swift. Its pretty strange that everybody in the community thinks this way except for the brain surgeons running things.