Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats Off Season 2015

Default Pats Off Season 2015

I'm just going to start off with a couple fun facts from last seasons off season thread...

-On April 6 last year, when the Pats season was over, when discussing Klimchuk's value for being moved, Patsdude had suggested as an off season deal...

TO BRN
    Klimchuk

TO REG
    1st ovr pick
    Gabrielle ('97) or Lindgren ('96)
    Tanner Kaspick (2nd rd 2013 pick)

Now, he was only traded right before the deadline, so this return wasn't near as much, but how about that for kind of calling part that over a year ago!

-Just before the draft, on April 30, 'witness' suggested that if Leschyshyn is available at 13, take him! Well, he went 6th overall and now is a Regina Pat and has been nothing but a pleasant surprise as an under age player. Paddock picked a good player to center the '99 group around.

-One last thing that stood out... On May 6, 'Bighat' came out of nowhere and said, "We won't be trading any of our top players, we will have 1 of the stronger teams this coming year. The following year is where we will struggle. We have a group of 16-17 yr olds that will play well next year but will have a strong veteran leadership aswell." ...no one believed this would be the case, but the season came and the Pats were one of the top teams in the league in the first half. It can be argued whether they had the same level of success under Cameron, but it happened.

This was all before the team was even sold, so it's kind of neat that this was said over a year ago already. There were a couple other things too, but they didn't stand out as much. Except for Brooks. Only 'chopper' showed a lot of confidence in him. I, too, saw his progression at the end of the previous season and thought he would at least be a part of the team this past season. Well, he pretty well shoved any doubters faces into the dirt and proceeded to dance a jig on top of their heads. Now he looks to become a top 20 in two years when the Pats look to start making legit playoff runs.

Now let's get to next season...

Last year the WK's got knocked out in 5 games of the second round. People were saying they would do better next season, and they did. Now doesn't that remind us of another hockey team?? I think the Pats will be exponentially better next season.

Some guys had break out years i.e. Williams and Brooks. Hopefully we see more of the same from Wagner, Gabrielle, and Harrison if he's still here. A kid who got better and better in the playoffs was Luke Smith. I think and hope he will be a power next season and beyond. Another big guy in Kroeker might be due for better things.

With Williams, Zbrovsky, Hobbs, and Hilsendager as certain locks, that doesn't leave much for the remaining and plentiful options. In goal there are number of good options.

I listened to Paddock carefully on his exit interview. He alluded the need to enhance his club. He spoke of this being a 19 year old driven league. He stated that's why Branndon is having and will continue to have success next season. His message was obvious.

We may see a little more sprinkling of veteran presence. IMO a high end shut down d-man and a gritty tough forward. I think he will have assets to trade, perhaps even prospects who may not get a chance here. The cabinets are well stocked and deep. McCrimmon has extra prospects and frequently moves some for older guys. You need them to win. If we could finally have an exceptional import draft, how things could change.
    Last edited by chopper; 04-20-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: type-o

Any thoughts if Elmer, Pouteau and Krushen can be regulars in this league next year? Any other 98's in the system will crack the line-up? Any 99's other than Leschyshyn have a chance to stick? If Pouteau & Krushen stick on backend then defiantly have to bring in a older dman in my opinion.

By the way, there will be some insight from this relevant thread...http://whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=26070

Id say Erik Gardiner will probably make the team. He had equal to better numbers than Leschyshyn in the same league. Jake might have the higher draft position, proven bloodline, and high priority given as recent acquisition....though Erik's brother leads PA in scoring(be nice if we got both brothers in this organization). I see them both as locks. Some might say Jordan Hollett will make the team, but I bet the pats elect to delay his arrival and stay with the same tandem. Brown has done what was asked, and has given no reason for the team to throw him away. I bet Wapple passes the torch to Brown first but just for him to keep it warm for when Hollett is ready...So for next year, aside from the first two, Id say Gary Haden* has the next best chance instead. He may have been a late pick, but he grew a few inches and managed to lead the alberta midget league in scoring to take his team to the telus cup, with three other pats prospects on the team(goalie chapman, and forwards cox and that many guns guy, who will likely all require another year before making cuts).

As for '98s, speaking of the Telus cup, the Pat C's are participating, and Riley Woods** got four points in his first game. Despite being undersized and 17 years old next year, he has a chance too. Another pat prospect on the Pat C's, Mathew Chekay. If the games are televised, you should get to watch the pats be well represented on a couple teams.

Liam Schioler also has a chance to crack the D, but that's only contingent on whether he is actually interested.

...and Ill post my depth chart sometime later.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyCanada(dot)ca
    *Gary Haden's scouting report:

"good puck-handling skills, creates scoring chances, finds high-scoring areas, can avoid contact, high hockey IQ, always dangerous"

**Riley Woods' scouting report:

"small but skilled, exceptional hockey IQ, very good on the PP, wins one-on-one battles, hard, accurate shot, quick release, fast feet"

Default Telus Cup

All the Telus Cup games are avaialable for free online, and the final on Sunday is on TSN.

Well, this might get long...

Paddock has made it pretty clear recently that he wants to try and add a couple of 19 year old's if he can and "enhance" the line-up. Although adding a '96 forward would be good for next season, I don't really want to see top '98-'99 prospects losing out on spots in favour of older players when next season isn't the target. Yes, it will be extra leadership and experience to pass down and carry on to the 2016/17 season, but they only had three 19yo skaters after the trade deadline and I'd say they did pretty good in the end. If anything, have another '96 so that the following year he can carry over as a 20yo. The '97's that come back are going to be more than capable of carrying on production. Paddock wants lots of 19yo's in two years, but I feel a bit more balance between them and the '98's could or should be had.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My early forwards with last seasons roster numbers and what's currently in the Pats system...

'95 - Cooper
    '96 - Brooks
    '97 - Wagner, Gabrielle, Berg, Cole
    '98 - Steel, Smith, Elmer, Woods
    '99 - Leschyshyn, Gardiner*

All season, the Pats carried only as many players as they needed, and that makes 12 spots.

-It's no surprise I left McAmmond off as his future has kind of already been decided.

-Another name that I have left off is Kroeker. Unless he breaks out and gets A LOT stronger with the puck, I think he's going to be in tough to make it next season with younger talent that showed just as much as him this past season. He hasn't done enough for me. He would definitely remain in the system and maybe re-earn his spot. Seems Paddock really likes him though, so he may stick. Zimmer looked damn good in his one game call-up. Showed a lot more that game than Kroeker has.

-I have also included Woods in this forward group. I never saw any of camp last year so have to go off what everyone else had said, but it seemed everyone was really impressed with Woods and even though small, if he can keep his opponents off him, he could be the Regina born player that Williams passes the torch down to the following season.

-Gardiner really has a good chance of making this team. He looked good when he was called up and from what I read, he was quite good in camp too. Was also the leading 15yo scorer in the SMAAAHL this season. Not sure I would use the comparison of him to Leschyshyn and their respective teams though. The Mintos were a good team where Gardiner played with older players. Leschynshyn, if I recall hearing correctly, was about the only good player on his Blazer team at 15 years old. The reason I put a * beside Gardiner's name though is I have a feeling Haden may have a serious shot at that spot. I completely forgot that he was rated at #31 for last years draft. Something I found interesting when comparing the bantam prospect rankings (which if available for this draft again, PLEASE post again!) and the draft day results on the WHL site. When comparing his size, on the prospects list, he's listed as 5'9" 155lbs. On the draft page, he's listed at 5'7" 136lbs. This leaves me to wonder, what were teams looking at when seeing players size?? Could possibly explain why he ended up being over looked for so long. Anyway, he seems to very skilled and is having a great midget season as a 15yo. I've been following him most of the season and have really wanted to see him play.

-In the end though, there's a chance neither of them make the team when you factor in the possibility of another '96 being added and the possibility of an Import as well. It's been made clear Zborovskiy is here for the long haul, so a forward is likely what is wanted. Depending on what happens with the Pats selection this season, maybe they can kill two birds with one stone again and make that 19yo be an acquired import that could maybe be a "Padakin" the following season. Hard to know for sure if an import will go pro at that age, but I really want to see our Canadian kids make make the team and get experience. But, if they land a 'Kalus' or 'Sherback' in the draft, that would be just fine too.

-Other players that will likely be of interest next season, as of now, will likely be Many Guns and Ossman.

~'98 Many Guns is a big body that probably needs some work, but if he can move that big body anything like Smith moves his, he could be in the Pats future too.
    ~'99 Ossman is a late birthday and played against all 15yo's this past season. He put up big numbers playing on a so-so team that he appeared to anchor and carry a lot of the time. It definitely appeared he was carrying his team through the playoffs, all the way to the Provincials. They ended up not doing so well there, but they probably didn't have much business being there, other than winning the games they needed to. He's another smaller player though, and I'm not sure how many small players can be around in the next few years.

-Can't see any of the others being standouts this season. Not sure if guys like Cox, Third, or Richards will have anything going for them next season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My early defense...

'95 - Williams
    '96 - Harrison
    '97 - Hilsendager, Hobbs, Zborovskiy
    '98 - Pouteau, Krushen*, Freadrich*

The Pats carried eight defensemen all season, except when players were called up and Hansen was moved back.

-I've been pretty hard on Harrison most of the season and I'm still not sure he was good enough, but he did show bright spots and he elevated his game in the playoffs as well. Regardless, I would expect him to be around as a 20 year old unless he is upgraded.

-Paddock said Zborovskiy, Hilsendager, and Hobbs are all looking to become top d-men in the WHL in two seasons, and I agree. They played great in the playoffs and are a solid trio in that age group.

-Pouteau had a great midget season and we even got a sneak peak at him. With the Pats, though I'm pretty sure he was just told to get the puck deep with out icing it, he looked the part. He has good size and from the few times he made any skating moves, he made them very smoothly. He's on the team next season.

-Krushen didn't play much at the end, but that was mainly due to all the forwards coming in and Hansen moving to D. When he did play, he didn't look bad but definitely made a lot of mistakes. I wasn't too concerned about it as he was 16 and probably shouldn't have been called up, but was the only option at the time. I don't think he would have been ready for the intensity of the playoffs and because Pouteau just came off an extended playoff run with a team in a similar situation and was extremely productive, he got a look over Krushen in the playoffs.

-Not sure what Lovell's deal was at the beginning of the MMHL playoffs, but he played two games then was no longer on the roster or a part of the team. Does he still play into the picture?? Many were pretty impressed with him last camp, so I won't exclude him either.

-Freadrich had a good season in the AJHL as a 16yo rookie and from what everyone said of him last season, he is a very skilled D-man. If Paddock doesn't mind his size, I could see him making the team. That would leave the D with three rookies again and I'm not sure it will go that way. If a '96 d-man is added, one of Krushen or Freadrich doesn't stick.

-If a Schioler decides he wants to play WHL, he's in. We still haven't seen a thing about him committing to college, but it seems pretty likely. Though, if the Pats had any chance of him warming up to them, they've made a pretty good case. There is nothing but positivity around the team right now and I have a feeling that if anyone can talk him into coming here, it's going to be John Paddock. But, if he wants to go to college, he wants to go to college.

In conclusion, two 17's and two 19's would probably be ideal, but who knows what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As for the goalies...

'95 - Wapple
    '97 - Brown

-I have Wapple taking a 20yo spot to at least start the season. I feel he will probably get moved at some point. Then Brown takes over as starter and Hollett is called up to back up Brown for the remainder. That way, the following season, Brown is 19 and should be very capable of being a good goaltender. Hollett should be looking to take starting position from Brown and they could push each other all season and be a very solid duo for the expected playoff run that year.

-or-

-Wapple is here all season with Brown as back-up. It's very possible.

-Does Chapman work himself into the equation??

It will be very interesting to see how things play out. Paddock is pretty happy with his team right now and said he doesn't foresee there being many moves this coming season. I have a funny feeling he could make a splash at the bantam draft, but that's just crazy thoughts going through my head of him trying to land one of the high rated d-men. On that note, I will say it again, if the bantam draft rankings are made available before hand, PLEASE POST!!!

...and that concludes my early thoughts....I think.
    Last edited by Fight Guy; 04-21-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Quick note: Hobbs gets 1 game suspension: what web site is the Telus cup being web cast on?

Was wondering if Hobbs suspension would be decided this year...

The Telus Cup games are right on the Telus Cup site.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Nat...al-Midget/2015

If you go to the schedule and click on any game for the box score, the live stream should load right in the middle of it for that game. Not a bad feed either!

The blown call on Hobbs cost the Pats game 4 and contributed hugely to the loss in game 5. Byblow and Doerksen deserve copious contempt. Little wonder they gave him just a game, it's one more than he deserved. They then slithered into their holes.

Pat C's won today 5-0 over a Quebec team, now 2-0 in the tournament.
    Last edited by chopper; 04-21-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Default Chopper

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    The blown call on Hobbs cost the Pats game 4 and contributed hugely to the loss in game 5. Byblow and Doerksen deserve copious contempt. Little wonder they gave him just a game, it's one more than he deserved. They then slithered into their holes.

Pat C's won today 5-0 over a Quebec team, now 2-0 in the tournament.
    Get real chopper! The refs cost you the series! You were not going to beat Brandon this year so quite your whining!! What a dumb comment!