Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats Off Season 2015

I'd like to see us draft an offensive minded puck moving D. We already have a lot of skill and depth on forward, at least for center. And as far as I can tell we don't have any #1 D pedigree prospects at all, nevermind D depth in the system.

I know nothing of these little guys. I still can't get over that they were born in the new millenium. It's weird. But looking at what I see here, I guess we can get someone ranked in the top 15 since most teams go after forwards. I see that as all the more reason to draft the top D available.

If you want a name, I'd say Addison should be the target. Cap, if he has a physical edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Arrogant_Jerk View Post
    I'd like to see us draft an offensive minded puck moving D. We already have a lot of skill and depth on forward, at least for center. And as far as I can tell we don't have any #1 D pedigree prospects at all, nevermind D depth in the system.

I know nothing of these little guys. I still can't get over that they were born in the new millenium. It's weird. But looking at what I see here, I guess we can get someone ranked in the top 15 since most teams go after forwards. I see that as all the more reason to draft the top D available.

If you want a name, I'd say Addison should be the target. Cap, if he has a physical edge.
    Addison and Cap would be great acquisitions but I get a sense they may be gone by #14, and for sure Addison will be.

Tychonick from Calgary is interesting with 58pts in 33 games but with an edge with 78pim.
    Schaufler out of Notre Dame has 32pts in 35 games and at 5'11" has a little size.
    McIsaac out of Fort Saskatchewan has 45pts in 33 games and also has some size.

These three seem to have some offensive upside for D-men. I was reading somewhere that the Pats have "their" guy in mind. Probably someone in that 11 to 17 range. The fly in the ointment is if someone from the top ten drops way down the the pick sequence gets skewered. They could end up with someone they didn't think would still be on the board. It does seem however that they have somebody in mind.

I'm hoping for a defenseman as well. Addison would be awesome, but chances are he goes before 14th. I'm thinking if anything drops him down it would be his size, but I wouldn't count on it. Cap seems like he would be on a lot of teams radars.

The one that I have been hoping for for awhile, with the way he has been ranked throughout the season and considering the Pats draft position, is Tychonick. Paddock wants players who can skate and his offensive abilities would probably suit his style well also. He was named a Division MVP this season, along with Outstanding Defenseman for his division. He's not real big, but was last listed at 5'11"/155lbs and looks to have a feisty side. I think he could also go earlier on though.

If they could land one of those three players, I think they will have done really well. I would think there will be some shuffling from 6 through 15 on that list.

I noticed some players who had been rated higher most of the season are not in that 30. Last I read, Reid Perepeluk is quite offensive also at 6'1"/190lbs and has a good all around game. Showed really well at the Western Canada Bantam Championship too. His team mates, the Taphorn twins, also were rated higher before. Wonder why the drop?? Either way, it sucks that the Pats don't have a second round pick.

Looks like next years draft might be like 2013's as a couple kids named Kirby Dach and Peyton Krebs did some damage as 13 year-olds this season in Alberta. Dach led the AMBHL in scoring with 100pts and Krebs 66pts. Had similar (actually better) numbers as Benson and Steel when they were thirteen.

Even though john says he doesn't anticipate any moves I think he is going to make a couple trades at or before the draft. We have too much depth and not enough spots.

The Pats need to be pretty astute in this draft since they have no picks in the 2nd, 4th or 5th rounds. They do however have two picks in the 3rd round. The best they can hope for at this point is 3 picks in the first 5 rounds. Not a great situation.

I believe the Pats could do one of two things; they could stay put and hope to get their guy at #14 However if their guy is taken or they get a great offer, they might move down a few spots and try to recoup a pick in the 2nd or 4th rounds. Perhaps also a 5th.

if some team really wants to move up a few spots for some reason, a deal could be made. They have two picks in the 3rd round they could manoeuvre with as well. IMO a lot will depend on whether or not they can get the player they really want.

If the Pats pick only what's at their disposal, they could pick 11 players over 12 rounds. With really only three overage guys gone, they will be forced to rework their protected list. It could mean dropping a good prospect or trading him so as to recoup an asset.

The Pats are now having to deal with a strong young returning lineup. Then they have a pretty deep list, many who will likely never get to suit up with them. These kids won't want to wait forever. Trading some assets may be the only option. On the other hand the Pats may be satisfied with taking only 6 or 7 kids in the draft so that they won't need to tinker too much with the list.

McMullen and his staff will really be challenged in this draft to find value picks in later rounds. They also need to make sure that we don't get too small as that's an issue that came up again this season and playoffs. Maybe a couple more like Wagner

I think focht may slip to the Pats pick. If not the next best Sask kid Would be Miller. Either should be nice.

Today's award presented to Paddock is both a feather in the cap of the organization as well as John himself. Struch is an excellent coach and I hope he sticks around a few more years, and then takes over. Every year under John will make him better.

Struch will get some inquiries but I do hope that he remains here. Based on what I've been able to read it appears Chad Lang will entertain offers, and I'm sure he will get some.

The draft starts at 0830hrs tomorrow and has it been extremely quiet everywhere. The reporting surrounding this draft has been nearly non-existent.

Hopefully we can get a nice piece in the 1st round because we can't play again until the third. There is always a chance of some moves but it doesn't sound too probable according to Paddock.

Iconwhl

Here is my look at the roster for next season.....

RETURNING PLAYERS
    Forwards (10)
    Cooper '95
    Brooks '96
    Gabrielle '97
    Wagner '97
    Berg '97
    Cole '97
    Kroeker '97
    McAmmond '97
    Smith '98
    Steel '98

Defensemen (6)
    Williams '95
    Harrison '96
    Hobbs '97
    Hilsendager '97
    Zborovskiy '97
    Krushen '98

Goalies (2)
    Wapple '96
    Brown '97

Going by with what names I mentioned above there is only 2-3 forward spots open and 1-2 defensemen spots open for the taking. I purposely left Hansen & Mortlock off my list because neither player will be here, I really hope Hansen gets traded before training camp cause he really deserves to be in the league just it wont be on the Pats.

My Bubble Players
    McAmmond '97
    Brown '97
    Krushen '98

Players Who Have A Legit Chance To Make Team (my order of depth to crack roster)
    Forwards
    Leschyshyn '99 hes a lock but I'm not classifying him as a returning player as he was an affiliate player last year
    Elmer '98 believe he is a lock
    Woods '98 I think he has a great chance at making the team
    Gardiner '99
    Richards '98 he played AJHL this past season, not many 16yr olds play in that league to start with
    Many Guns '98 his size is hard to pass up
    Haden '99 I think his size will put him back in midget or in Jr. A

Defensemen
    Schioler '98 if he finally commits
    Pouteau '98
    Freadrich '98 he played AJHL this past season, not many 16yr olds play in that league to start with
    Lovell '98
    Bruce '99 plays that physical style that we have lacked for the last 10yrs in this organization
    Ewert '99 his size is very appealing at 6'2 at training camp last year

Goalies
    Hollett '99
    Chapman '98 I think if he shows well in camp/preseason he will be used as trade bait for a decent pick

This year we should get some longer looks at some younger guys in preseason due to us having a great chance of 5 guys being drafted this year and will attend NHL camps. It could make some decisions a bit tougher in the long run due to guys attending camps, these games will be even more important for the bubble players.

One other question that could be thrown out there is.....
    Does Wapple get moved early in the season?

I thought Brown looked very strong all season long and got stronger later in the year. One would expect our defense will be better with our top 5 all being a year older which should help Brown that much more. So that makes me wonder if a tandem of Brown and Hollett would be more valuable for out franchise for the long haul and move Wapple for some type of an asset to a true league contender. But with that said too it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit either if Wapple is here all season long so we can give Brandon a run for their money come the 2nd round next year again.
    Last edited by patsdude114; 05-07-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    these are my opinions like them or hate them I really don't care

newly created blog by yours truly
    http://patsdudewhl.blogspot.ca/

There are truly any number of things that could happen going forward with this Teams lineup. Schoiler's joining this team or not, will have a ripple effect on the lineup. There are a couple ways the goaltending could go and both would have their merits.

The import draft could have a profound effect if the Pats could ever land a high end impact player. One can only imagine what a Sherback type player could do for the team. It would certainly advance the program.

Then there is Paddock's comments that he would like to add a couple of 19 year olds so that he can compete better in the playoffs. If they were to add a couple 96's that would mean a couple of other players would be on the bubble.

Paddock has also stated that this years lineup could be younger than last. I don't see how that can work and be successful, but he's saying such. I sense this is a very fluid situation that could change a couple times or more before the team breaks camp this fall.

The first round (only) of tomorrows draft will be live streamed on the WHL web site. startes at 8:30

On the Tenders IMO Wapple will be moved so Brown and Howlett get more crease time. Fight guy is probably right that we start the season Wapple and Brown which gets Howlett prime time in Midget. In January trade Wapple and recall Howlett.
    If the target seasons are 2016/17 and 2017/18 (2 and 3 years) keeping a 20 year old tender this season just postpones the younger tenders development and experience
    Last edited by RWAH; 05-06-2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: start time