Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft day

Default Draft day

Busy day for the Rebels today, they draft nine new players in the Bantam draft, deal Connor Gay to Saskatoon for a third rounder, and trade their own third rounder to Everett for veteran import Ivan Nikolishin.

Their overage situation gets a little clearer for next season, and the move for Nikolishin would appear to bring Mario Grman's time with the Rebels to a close.

I like the Nikolishin trade for two reasons. First off, it comes at a reasonable cost for a guy that should put up 60-70 points this season. Secondly, the Rebels have struggled to find any impact skaters in the import draft in recent years, now they only have to focus on that one spot.

Extremely disappointing that Gay's tenure with the Rebels went the way it did. I (along with everyone else, Sutter included) thought we were getting a high impact, top 6 forward, and that just wasn't the guy that showed up in Red Deer. All the best to Gay going forward.

Barring Nikolishin showing up and being a Gay-type bust, that's seemingly a pretty good trade, in my opinion. Hopefully the first of a few moves to bolster the forward group.

I wonder if this wasn't the plan all along. The value in that Regina deal coming Red Deer's way never added up to me. For a guy that put up the points he did, plus those 2 high picks, I'd almost assume the team knew what they were getting, and Regina knew what they were dealing. For a first round pick, a first and a second seems like enough to me, then to add a guy with Gay's points, somethin never smelled right. Disappointed, not suprised in Gay's tenure. Pratt sure made any worries about high-end talent in that draft disappear haha.

History has shown atleast one strong drafted Euro on mem cup teams, so that's a good thing. On this assumption, both euro's should eclipse the total point loss from Maxwell, Sheen, and Gay. With the obvious prediction that returning players will have small increases in production, goal scoring should be up for next year. I would personally like one more forward to that group, but who knows when that comes along. Looking good guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post
    Pratt sure made any worries about high-end talent in that draft disappear haha.
    I think it was a calculated gamble to trade for Gay, one that didn't totally work out. If Gay continued to play like he did in Regina, that trade turns out to be a steal. Instead they got some picks to work with in building a Memorial Cup team, and turned Gay into Chase Lowry on draft day, a player that should help them rebuild after the team is dismantled following the Memorial Cup. Leschyshyn didn't look out of place in training camp, but Pratt was MILES ahead of him in his physical development, conditioning and showed a bit more overall skill. Getting him to sign in Red Deer was the equivalent of getting a second top five first round pick. It is going to be pretty tough to carry more than one 16 year old rookie on a Memorial Cup team, and give them all an adequate amount of ice time.

History has shown atleast one strong drafted Euro on mem cup teams, so that's a good thing.
    I will reserve judgement on this until I see it! I just hope they don't waste it on another defenseman...

I would personally like one more forward to that group, but who knows when that comes along.
    I am with you on this one. They will likely unload some assets to land a big name impact forward yet, and possibly a forward with a bit more size and grit.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Leschyshyn didn't look out of place in training camp, but Pratt was MILES ahead of him in his physical development, conditioning and showed a bit more overall skill. Getting him to sign in Red Deer was the equivalent of getting a second top five first round pick. It is going to be pretty tough to carry more than one 16 year old rookie on a Memorial Cup team, and give them all an adequate amount of ice time.
    I have to agree with SectionN Pratt is the reason we could make the Leschyshyn trade which turns out to be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Pratt is a quality player who is going to very well in the WHL. If Grant Mismash who is projected to be a NHL 1st rounder comes to Red Deer after his draft year the 2014 draft year could be remembered as an incredible draft year. Here is Troy Gillard talking to Shawn Sutter after the draft.
    http://www.1067thedrive.fm/sports/re...-bantam-draft/

I think it was a calculated gamble to trade for Gay, one that didn't totally work out. If Gay continued to play like he did in Regina, that trade turns out to be a steal. Instead they got some picks to work with in building a Memorial Cup team, and turned Gay into Chase Lowry on draft day, a player that should help them rebuild after the team is dismantled following the Memorial Cup.
    I'm just not convinced the trade was actually for the picks, and not for the player. I could have handled the first and second for Leschysyn, Gay was a bonus for me. Didnt pan out, so be it, team got a third pick.

Depending how the team handles it, with strand mahura and bobyk all eligible the year after, plus musil, polei, pawlenchuk, pratt, dewit, johnson, nell, nikolishin up front, with toth and burman in goal, the team should be strong the year after. Will def have some turnover, but with a full draft of players the last 2 years, i dont think the team will need a scortched earth dismantling like the blades. Who knows what happens this year, but i see a ton of picks that can still be moved for one or two players, so barring major injuries the team may escape this exciting time without sacrificing much.

I think it is fairly presumptuous to say that all those players will be on the team next season, let alone the season after. The team as it sits, with the addition of Nikolishin will be competitive, but if they are planning to hang with the big boys at the Memorial Cup, there will need to be a number of more moves yet, and some of those players you mention will unfortunately be casualties of that.

The team as it sits, with the addition of Nikolishin will be competitive, but if they are planning to hang with the big boys at the Memorial Cup, there will need to be a number of more moves yet, and some of those players you mention will unfortunately be casualties of that.
    Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only sane one left here. Reality check: after a pretty good season where they unquestionably exceeded preseason expectations almost entirely by virtue of the acquisitions made, Red Deer got demolished by the Tigers, who were demolished by the Hitmen, who were demolished by the Wheat Kings, who are in the process of being demolished by the Rockets. And although some guys stepped up and showed something this year, some guys, like Pawlenchuk, Fleury, and Musil (aside from the first month of the season) fell flat. Quite honestly, we don't even know what we can expect from those guys next year. As for Bleackley, he was a 1st rounder who wasn't even on Team Canada's radar this year. That's...pretty uninspiring. He did start to play significantly better before he got hurt, but the games he did play this year hardly sold me that he is going to come back next year and be a top forward in this league. Like it or not, those are the realities that we're facing right now.

As it currently stands, Red Deer has a pretty good team - if Fleury comes back with his head in the game next year, I really, really like the Rebels blueline especially - but this "we're one or two pieces away from being Memorial Cup contenders" notion just doesn't pass the taste test. I get having some hometown bias and optimism, but some posters here need to cool it on the Kool-Aid a little bit and come back down to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only sane one left here. Reality check: after a pretty good season where they unquestionably exceeded preseason expectations almost entirely by virtue of the acquisitions made, Red Deer got demolished by the Tigers, who were demolished by the Hitmen, who were demolished by the Wheat Kings, who are in the process of being demolished by the Rockets. And although some guys stepped up and showed something this year, some guys, like Pawlenchuk, Fleury, and Musil (aside from the first month of the season) fell flat. Quite honestly, we don't even know what we can expect from those guys next year. As for Bleackley, he was a 1st rounder who wasn't even on Team Canada's radar this year. That's...pretty uninspiring. He did start to play significantly better before he got hurt, but the games he did play this year hardly sold me that he is going to come back next year and be a top forward in this league. Like it or not, those are the realities that we're facing right now.

As it currently stands, Red Deer has a pretty good team - if Fleury comes back with his head in the game next year, I really, really like the Rebels blueline especially - but this "we're one or two pieces away from being Memorial Cup contenders" notion just doesn't pass the taste test. I get having some hometown bias and optimism, but some posters here need to cool it on the Kool-Aid a little bit and come back down to reality.
    I dont really follow any of that. So they make trades to get better for last year and next, but that doesnt really count? They overachieved, yet players underachieved? I'd say thats more of a positive than a negative. I dont look at next season by comparing to last, mostly because the team was much younger than its competition, which bodes well for next year. To repeat once again, IMO, the team needs a euro forward than can get 45-60 pts. After that, they should look to aquire one more top 6 forward. To me, that gives them a top12 in the east that only Brandon can rival. The team on its own merit will be better given the number of returning players.

I dont judge the team emotionally, i look at a roster, stats, normal stat growth projections, and expected roster additions (euro). I see a top 2 team in the east right now, and if you dont agree, i can take it haha, but show me with real examples that they arent. I dont follow the west so i have no clue what that side shapes up like.

I really don't understand what you don't understand. Theres a pretty fundamental disagreement here, you seem to think a club that was bounced in the first round of the WHL playoffs and whose two best players turned in subpar (in Fleurys case, disastrous) seasons is a minor tweak or two away from hanging with Kelowna Rocket-caliber teams, whereas I think that's ridiculous. So feel free to continue that belief, but I guarantee Brent Sutter doesn't agree and his forthcoming transactions will how you that
    Last edited by calcheyup; 05-14-2015 at 08:14 AM.