Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Draft day

I can see In a tournament with the format of the Memorial Cup, really any sort of a competitive team could surprise some of the other teams and take it all (if they are guaranteed to be there, like the Rebels). Meaning with a few more upgrades, they could have a go at it and have success. This route could mean less of a rebuild after the tournament.

On the other hand, their odds of winning the tournament are certainly going to be increased by replacing some of the more one-dimensional and underachieving players currently on the roster, with some upgrades in those areas. This will of course, lead to some pretty lean post-tournament years.

It will be interesting to see which route Sutter takes between now and the trade deadline next season.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    I really don't understand what you don't understand. Theres a pretty fundamental disagreement here, you seem to think a club that was bounced in the first round of the WHL playoffs and whose two best players turned in subpar (in Fleurys case, disastrous) seasons is a minor tweak or two away from hanging with Kelowna Rocket-caliber teams, whereas I think that's ridiculous. So feel free to continue that belief, but I guarantee Brent Sutter doesn't agree and his forthcoming transactions will how you that
    We are looking at it from different angles i think

my point is, you're stating the fact they got beat in a VERY tight round one matchup against a team that finished ahead of them in the standings, whereas i'm looking at the roster next year compared to the competition. Given the WHL playoff format this past season, it's a dangerous way to evaluate. The Tigers finished 3rd in the east, were expected to win with a very old team, and did, end of story.

If you're referring to Bleackley and Fleury, then yes, they had avg years. Specifically, bad starts. Fleury had a very strong last 2 months and playoff, and Bleackley was still a PPG player and missed 7 weeks. If bleackley can be a ppg player and play 65+, that bodes well. IF fleiry plays at the pace he did the last 2 months, he will put up 40-50 pts next year.

I see a team that still finished 4th in the conf last year, with 2 rookie goalies, and the youngest team of all their competition (cgy, mh, ktn, bran). They really only lose the 3 20's, which every team loses every year, and again, comparitively, had the worst 20's of those competing teams, probably by design for 2016. So by process of them adding a big piece already this summer in Nikolishin, god willing another euro forward, and hopefully another forward from a team, i'd say that gives them a very solid group. The back end, to me, is tops in the conference next year.

So again, IMO, looking at this analytically and not emotionally, I feel the team is in a great position, barring the added pieces mentioned above. I'll only compare the team based on next seasons roster alone, and not a different team from a different year, it isn't apples to apples. I dont think there are teams that finished behind them last year that are better, and i feel there are 2 teams that finished ahead that have lost very key pieces. If the team can finish top 2 in the conference, good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post
    I dont think there are teams that finished behind them last year that are better, and i feel there are 2 teams that finished ahead that have lost very key pieces. If the team can finish top 2 in the conference, good enough for me.
    A strong finish in the regular season would be great, but I think that most are more concerned about finding a way to compete against the teams in the actual tournament, some of which that have built their team on an entirely different playing field.