Thread: To sell or not to sell. That is the question.

Hybrid View

Default To sell or not to sell. That is the question.

With the vote-to-vote meeting coming up soon and having had the dust settle a bit on what was the 2014/2015 season what are your thoughts on selling this team?

Do we believe Robison when he says the team will stay put (Chilliwack)? Do we believe Robison when we says local ownership is the preferred option (Saskatoon)?

We have a board with some newer members finally doing some things we like.Aare we foolish enough to believe that moving forward through the years there will always be a board who does nice things or are we smart enough to realize it only takes one election at the AGM to take us back to the type of board we've had 5 years prior to this one?

Quote Originally Posted by CanesCrazy View Post
    Do we believe Robison when we says local ownership is the preferred option (Saskatoon)?
    Is that the example he used? Mike Priestner lives in Edmonton...

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Is that the example he used? Mike Priestner lives in Edmonton...
    Bill Yuill (silvertips) lives in Med Hat.

Bill Gallagher (winterhawks) Calgary

Doan (phoenix)
    Iginla (Kelowna) BOTH blazer owners

Local ownership is BS.

No Section N.

Do we believe Robison when he says the team will stay put (Chilliwack)? Assured the fans that the team would stay if sold and moved them immediately after the sale went through

Do we believe Robison when we says local ownership is the preferred option (Saskatoon)? Rejected a proposal from a Saskatoon based ownership group to sell it to an Edmonton car dealership owner instead

Do we believe Robison when we says local ownership is the preferred option (Saskatoon)? Rejected a proposal from a Saskatoon based ownership group to sell it to an Edmonton car dealership owner instead
    Robison didn't reject the sale of the team to the local group, the WHL Board of Governors voted on it--unanimously. I read in an interview somewhere with Rhett Warrener or Kelly Chase, that the Priestner bid was more than a million dollars higher than the local group's bid. This tells me that the BoG (which is comprised of owners of WHL teams) either prefer to see a single owner vs. a group of owners, or more likely, the highest offer possible (which in turn raises the value of their respective teams).

So he did likely reflect the views of the WHL Board of Governors when stating that local ownership is preferred, but he just left out the part where it has to be weighed against increasing the value of all of their teams.
    Last edited by SectionNDeserter; 05-20-2015 at 05:41 PM.

No Section N.

Do we believe Robison when he says the team will stay put (Chilliwack)? Assured the fans that the team would stay if sold and moved them immediately after the sale went through

The league didn't reject the offer from local group. Brodsky began negotiations with Priestner first. So he when that way & the league approved him as an owner. As much as some people wanted local, they had draw backs. The so called owners were a group of men who had local ties. But 3-4 didn't live in Saskatoon. Secondly, they had no where near the money that the Priestners have to run the team. The amount the team sold for was between the buyers & Brodsky, don't think the league has a say in that.
    Last edited by BigCat20; 05-20-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by BigCat20 View Post
    The league didn't reject the offer from local group. Brodsky began negotiations with Priestner first. So he when that way & the league approved him as an owner. As much as some people wanted local, they had draw backs. The so called owners were a group of men who had local ties. But 3-4 didn't live in Saskatoon. Secondly, they had no where near the money that the Priestners have to run the team. The amount the team sold for was between the buyers & Brodsky, don't think the league has a say in that.
    I, of course was inferring the vote by the governors cemented this deal and not Robison personally. I was unaware that Brodsky spoke with Priestner first and appreciate you enlightening me.

The spirit of my comment though was more do they really want local ownership and will the team really stay here as he stressed it would? Not saying that selling is a bad idea. Just looking for discussion amongst fans of other the Hurricanes or those of other teams that have been through this.

Default at this point..........

it will come down to money over decisions..the fact that the canes are in such of a tight spot cash wise that decision might be one made by the league having to step in to save a franchise that can no longer pay its bills....so imo time to sell and roll the dice on having a major jr team in lethbridge..........also, I wonder how many fan would return if the team would be sold.. talking to people I have sat with that seem to be the only thing stopping them from returning, if that were the case there would be no danger in private ownership moving the team if there was 3500/4000 people per game....hard to say either way......
    Last edited by shushu; 05-20-2015 at 11:00 PM.
    GO CANES GO.................