Thread: Rookie camp

Default Rookie camp

When/where is the rookie camp this year?

Hi Tiny
    The camp starts June 5th ends June 7th I assume it will be in Penhold.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.reddeerrebels.com/article...-camp-june-5-7

Quote Originally Posted by Red celtic View Post
    Hi Tiny
    The camp starts June 5th ends June 7th I assume it will be in Penhold.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.reddeerrebels.com/article...-camp-june-5-7
    Did anyone manage to get out to this? If so, any impressions?

I would preface this by saying that aside from Austin Pratt, I would be extremely surprised if we see any other 16 year olds on the roster this season.

That being said, there were a few players at the camp that stood out.

Austin Pratt - I heard that he came into this camp at 6'3 and a little over 210lbs, and the way he threw some of the other kids at this camp around I can certainly believe it.

Jack Langenhahn - Tall lanky kid showed a bit of speed for a player that had to have been at least 6'4. He battled hard in all the scrimmages, and was always dangerous when he was out there.

Ethan Sakowich - Possibly the best defenseman in camp. Very mobile, great positioning and didn't take a lot of crazy risks during the scrimmages.

Jacob Herauf - A little raw still, but even at 15 you could tell that he had elite level speed and conditioning, and a high level of compete.

Chase Stevenson - Was impressed with him last year at camp, and again this season. Just has gobs of hockey sense.

Eli Zummack - Has some great offensive instincts, and decent speed.

Brayden Labant - Had just a great all-around camp, great work ethic.

Ben Grist - Decent overall skillset, and possibly the hardest working player in camp. As a defenseman, I wish he were a little bigger though.

Both Dawson Weatherill and Solomon Burk had solid camps, though they are a year or more away from regular WHL action.

Had hoped for a better showing for Akash Bains, he seemed to really be struggling in this camp, compared to the great showing he had last season. Was also not really impressed by another highly-touted prospect, Chase Lowry, who seemed to really have a tough time grasping some of the drills, and the coaches appeared to have to keep explaining them to him again.

Default Good summary

The only other one I would mention that caught my eye was 15y old Spencer McHardy. He seemed to have a lot of hockey sense and hustle.

Default prospects camp

Who was at camp for 98's if any, and how did they look?

Quote Originally Posted by walleye18 View Post
    Who was at camp for 98's if any, and how did they look?
    The spring camp is only for 15 and 16 year olds, though there was one 17 year old there, Boedy Donald. He looked more 'filled out' than most of the defensemen there, and didn't look out of place at all.

Thanks guys.