Thread: Vancouver Giants hire Lorne Molleken

Default Vancouver Giants hire Lorne Molleken

According to Jay Janower on twitter.

This comes as no surprise. It's been in the works for weeks. Great hire. He knows the WHL, the players & has 12 winning seasons in his 14 seasons. He also has liked tough hockey so I'm hoping to see the team add some more size & grit to the lineup.

I like it. I know people will point out his playoff record and joke about that but it is really irrelevant. This team isn't a contender. And they won't be anytime soon. And no coach would magically change that fact. Molleken is a teacher and good with working with young players. This team needs both those qualities desperately.

I do feel McGill was the best candidate available but he stated early on (after leaving the Ice) he preferred exploring pro coaching opportunities. So I don't know how serious negotiations were between both parties.

Molleken has a breadth of knowledge across the WHL, AHL and NHL and he seems to be a players coach and good with young players, so hopefully that will help. The problem is that a coach alone won't improve this team and it'll take bigger changes to make this team consistently competitive. I just hope they don't ruin Benson's development while they are figuring it out. They might even finally admit where the real faults with the franchise actually lie. Here's a hint: it has little to do with the venue, or the PNE and everything to do with being unable to assess and develop talent.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/