Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: And the trades have started

Default And the trades have started

The trading has begun for the Rebels. I'm not sure I like this trade. Swift Current trades Jake DeBrusk for Lane Pedersen, a 1st Rnd'17 and a 3rd Rnd'16. This is a lot for a player who is not having great year. I'm sure this won't be the end of it.

Complete waste of time and resources if this is the only move they make. I can't even imagine that they are close to being done dealing.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Complete waste of time and resources if this is the only move they make. I can't even imagine that they are close to being done dealing.
    Pretty much. If he comes in and plays like a 40 goal scorer, then I'm fine with it. If he comes in and validates the Conner Bleackley comparisons...not so much. But more importantly, Sutter has left himself a lot in the cupboard. Which is good, because while adding DeBrusk obviously improves the Rebels this year, the most important needs are yet to be addressed.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 12-27-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Sutter has kept Reginas 1st Rd pick and the assets that MJ would need to be included in a deal for Point. They could improve their goaltending by getting the 20 year old from Swift. If they could get both Point and Bows, they would be on their way!

I really liked Lane Pederson. Watching him, I've always thought he was one of the more hard working players on the Rebels and he put up some pretty decent numbers. With this trade we have done nothing to address some of our most glaring flaws in preparing for the Memorial Cup. I think we have taken a step backwards in my opinion. This looks like to me a very desperate decision after the loss to Lethbridge before the break.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKrebel View Post
    I really liked Lane Pederson. Watching him, I've always thought he was one of the more hard working players on the Rebels and he put up some pretty decent numbers. With this trade we have done nothing to address some of our most glaring flaws in preparing for the Memorial Cup. I think we have taken a step backwards in my opinion. This looks like to me a very desperate decision after the loss to Lethbridge before the break.
    There is no way this is a step backward. Pederson played well enough here, but DeBrusk is a much better player. The Rebels actually gave up less to acquire DeBrusk than they did Nogier who is currently their #3 defenseman, so...yeah. It's not the end of the world in terms of what went to Swifty. Other, more important moves remain to be made, yes, but like I said, this team needed to be improved at every position and Sutter just did that for the forward group.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 12-27-2015 at 11:40 AM.

I think we have taken a step backwards in my opinion. This looks like to me a very desperate decision after the loss to Lethbridge before the break.
    Playing with other skilled players, DeBrusk is a 40-50 goal scorer, I don't see any possible way this could be a step backwards. I can't imagine that there won't be a move made to improve the back end and goaltending. There is still almost two weeks before the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy14
    Sutter has kept Reginas 1st Rd pick and the assets that MJ would need to be included in a deal for Point. They could improve their goaltending by getting the 20 year old from Swift. If they could get both Point and Bows, they would be on their way!
    Would be surprised if Sutter makes a move for Point. Without DeBrusk, they have consistently been in the top four teams in the league for scoring. There may be some depth moves at forward, made to improve the penalty kill, but I suspect that any other move they make now will be to improve the goaltending and the blueline.

I hope your right. Maybe this is the type of move that gives both Bleakley and DeBrusk a little more incentive to up their game and play with more of a sense of urgency.
    Last edited by BDKrebel; 12-27-2015 at 12:02 PM.

I agree with section N that we don't need Point as we already have one of the more offensive teams in the league. I doubt Moose Jaw would part with him anyways as they are still very much in the hunt. What defencemen and goaltender do you think they are looking at.

I agree with section N that we don't need Point as we already have one of the more offensive teams in the league. I doubt Moose Jaw would part with him anyways as they are still very much in the hunt. What defencemen and goaltender do you think they are looking at.
    I think your last question may be the biggest problem of all. I honestly do not know who would be available at either position. Of course there MAY be guys theoretically available, but who honestly knows if they are and what the price could be. With no team in the Western Conf out of the playoff picture completely, hard time seeing many teams unloading there. Swift and Koot are the only ones gone in the Eastern, and we just took Swifts best player and god willing if the rumor above is true, kootenays as well. Neither team has any good D, and both goalies are 20, yet neither have had good seasons. Lets not forget, there have been very few trades period all season, and for the number of teams IMO that could use a goalie or D, it may be telling what the market actually is.

At the end of the day, the team is 3rd overall in the league, and top 5 in Gf and Ga. All this while not have a healthy d core all season. I'll take that at the halfway point!

For me, 2 more additions or upgrades wherever possible would be appreciated!! May as well add a bunch of good forwards if goalies and d cant be found.