Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: And the trades have started

Considering no tangible adjustments have been made to the 20th ranked PK, I wouldn't hold your collective breath for a shift in powerplay tactics.

To add to that a bit, agreed that it's not anywhere near time to panic, but there are some worrying things developing out there. Namely, and I'm shocked this hasn't been mentioned, is that DeBrusk has been completely invisible since the Brandon thrashing where he had five points. He has one point in his last seven games, and having watched most of those games, it's not like he's generating quality chances and just getting unlucky. He's just been MIA. The PK still showing no signs of improvement is worrisome; in addition to that, Austin Strand, to me, doesn't look like he's made any strides in his game since last year, and when watching him play, I still get the sense I'm watching a rookie out there. I maintain it was a big mistake not upgrading the back end at the deadline, even if it would have cost Sutter big. They didn't even play in the third period in Moose Jaw and looked downright bad against Brandon.

Frustrating that the team hasn't seemed to ever get firing on all cylinders this year. I understand that injuries are disruptive, but they happen to every team. Toth deserves full marks for the way he's played since Christmas, and just when you think they're turning the corner and potentially dominant team could be emerging, they don't even bother showing up against Brandon (Toth excluded), and them dump a game to Swift freaking Current and make Taz Burman (!!!) look like Jacques Plante in the process. In the first half, they scored enough to overcome some underwhelming netminding, and then when Toth looks like a brick wall, they stop scoring. Like I said...it's frustrating.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 01-19-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Good wins against Moose Jaw and Everett. Now, if they could only find a way to beat Swift Current...

As for tonight's game, I was pretty surprised to see Sutter roll with Martin. It's not unexpected that he'd play one half of a back-to-back, but Toth didn't play an entire game last night and obviously, Everett is a stronger opponent. Nevertheless, he acquitted himself nicely, and really kept the game from slipping away in the first 10 or 15 minutes. Musil also deserves a lot of credit for the way he played in the defensive zone in the first period. I don't think he landed himself on the scoresheet, but without the way he played in the first period, especially on the PK, this game probably wouldn't have turned out the way it did.

Hagel's best game of the year, as well. That was an outstanding performance, and to see guys like him, Pawlenchuk, and de Wit drive the bus was awesome. The big names aren't going to win ya every game. Also, Martin deserves credit for weathering that first period storm; if it's 3-0 after one instead of 1-0, I don't know that we're sitting here with such a satisfying win right now.

Also loved how aggressive the PK has been. Glad it only took 47 games to figure out that letting the opposition gain the zone, pass the puck with impunity, and then skate the puck below the hashmarks to rip off shots whenever they want wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Good wins against Moose Jaw and Everett. Now, if they could only find a way to beat Swift Current...
    Individual motivation is a tough intangible to beat, and with four former Rebels on the Bronco roster, there is a lot of individual motivation on one team. Add Steenbergen to that list as well--he always turns it up a notch in front of his family at home. Good to see Burman starting to turn into the goaltender he was projected to be, even if it took him till he was almost 19. Always thought he got kind of a raw deal in Red Deer.

As for tonight's game, I was pretty surprised to see Sutter roll with Martin. It's not unexpected that he'd play one half of a back-to-back, but Toth didn't play an entire game last night and obviously, Everett is a stronger opponent.
    I think Sutter's gameplan going into this weekend was for Toth to start in both games, but you are right, a sub-par performance from Toth the night before bought him a seat on the bench last night.

Nevertheless, he acquitted himself nicely, and really kept the game from slipping away in the first 10 or 15 minutes.
    He is rather unorthodox at times, and terrifying to watch, but he was getting the job done! I have heard a lot about Carter Hart, and how great of a goaltender he is. I thought he looked really ordinary, and put out a lot of huge rebounds on nearly every shot taken on him.

Musil also deserves a lot of credit for the way he played in the defensive zone in the first period. I don't think he landed himself on the scoresheet, but without the way he played in the first period, especially on the PK, this game probably wouldn't have turned out the way it did.
    Musil and Pawlenchuk were fantastic in the defensive zone last night, and each broke up a number of plays in their own end. I am glad that both of these guys survived the trade deadline, and they both should be a big part of the team next season.

Hagel's best game of the year, as well. That was an outstanding performance, and to see guys like him, Pawlenchuk, and de Wit drive the bus was awesome.
    Hagel just keeps getting better every game! In the first half of the season, he wasn't very aggressive, and the back half of his shifts were usually not very good, but he has been a lot more aggressive, and his conditioning has looked a lot better as the season progresses.

Also loved how aggressive the PK has been. Glad it only took 47 games to figure out that letting the opposition gain the zone, pass the puck with impunity, and then skate the puck below the hashmarks to rip off shots whenever they want wasn't working.
    This isn't entirely accurate. They have two PK units. The one with DeBrusk and Helewka is a lot more aggressive, and the second unit that still plays the extremely passive box. Nothing really wrong with the passive approach, if the players are getting in front of shots, giving the goalie and opportunity to see the shots, and the goaltender is making the saves they need to be. Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case this season up until this point.