Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: And the trades have started

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    So who does Brent make the captain of this team now? I can't believe that he takes the captaincy away from Bleacks and trades the guy he replaces him with. If there was even a chance that Johnson was going to be traded this move should have never been made.
    Wait... You think that Bleackley should still be captain? Did you see him play at all as the captain this season? They could have a new captain every week for all I care, if it means that I never have to watch Bleackely struggle to be the captain again.

I complete slap in the face for a heart and soul guy. I know it isn't personal, it is all business but if I were him and I would have told Sutter where to go and slammed the door on the way out after being told this.
    Johnson is too classy of a guy to even consider doing this. Sucks to lose a guy like him, but remember, they are also getting a heart and soul guy coming back the other way, one that is a 40 goal scorer.

Funny....as the two guys on the team who I would consider the guys who played "Sutter hockey" are the two that are gone. Replaced by two more skilled guys who now will be expected to play a defensive system that a lot of skilled guys have struggled with the last few years.
    A lot? Who are the 'lot'? By my count, there are two in the last four years. Dumba and Gay.

Do Helewka and DeBrusk kill penalties
    They did on their previous teams, so I don't see any reason why they can't here.

as I seen two areas that needed to be addressed the most, goaltending and penalty killing.
    There is no way that all the dealing is done yet, a move or moves will be made to shore up these areas in the next week or so.

Maybe Sutter changes his game philosophy totally to more of a run and gun style now that Red Deer has all this skill up front.
    It is hard to imagine that it won't change, at least to some degree.

I can't see how our goaltending tandem isn't going to give up 4 or 5 a game against these other top teams so maybe the solution is scoring 5 or 6.
    Half of our penalty killing problems have been between the pipes. If you know who our post-deadline goaltending tandem is going to be already, why are you keeping it a secret from us?

As an aside, I thought it was the Sutter system that was causing Fluery all his issues the last couple years, but after seeing how he played in the World Juniors, I don't think it is.
    I personally have thought that it was because he didn't give a crap about the WHL, and has just been putting in time till he goes to the show. Like you, I am really at a loss to explain how he can't get motivated to play on the big stage for his country.

Lots of TSN turning points in the Finland game, but maybe none bigger than giving up the goal in the first period with 11 seconds left in what was otherwise a perfect period.
    That was a devastating goal. He fumbles picking up a low-percentage pass around the boards, and then the goaltender allows his first of two goals on easy, sharp-angle shots.

So who does Brent make the captain of this team now? I can't believe that he takes the captaincy away from Bleacks and trades the guy he replaces him with. If there was even a chance that Johnson was going to be traded this move should have never been made.
    My take on this is that Sutter had no intentions of even thinking about moving Johnson when he did it. However, the way the team has underperformed the last month and a half has basically left Sutter with his back against the wall in terms of making this a Memorial Cup contender, and he had to make a difficult move. I can't read minds, but if I had to guess, I think Sutter figured the team he had was going to be a lot better than it turned out to be - and now the team has painted itself into a corner where instead of needing maybe one or two guys to put them over the top, they need, like, four. And when you need to acquire that many high impact players at the trade deadline, you sort of have to do what you have to do.

I agree completely that you couldn't blame Johnson for being furious, disappointed, or crushed, really. He did things the right way ad a Rebel and was always a fan favorite. I really hope he lands on his feet in Spokane and has the chance to play some meaningful hockey there this year.

I was asking the question, not suggesting Bleacks be named the captain again.

Wow. 7-0 Rebels after the first. Should have traded the captain months ago.

They do kill penalties and very good I might add. Total domination with no Fluery, Spacek, Musil or Kopeck.

That was unreal. They just made the Wheat Kings look like a Junior B team. Credit where its due; DeBrusk so far has completely cast aside the Bleackley similarities and been an absolute beast as a a Rebel so far. The line of Helewka, DeBrusk, and Nikolishin looked as if they belonged in a different league tonight.

An outstanding win that those kids should be proud of. I just hope it doesn't distract everyone (including Sutter) from the fact that help in the defensive end is still vital. You won't score 10 every game. Still, a much needed, resounding win against one of the best teams in the Dub. I hope the team feels good about this one; they earned it.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 01-02-2016 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    That was unreal. They just made the Wheat Kings look like a Junior B team. Credit where its due; DeBrusk so far has completely cast aside the Bleackley similarities and been an absolute beast as a a Rebel so far. The line of Helewka, DeBrusk, and Nikolishin looked as if they belonged in a different league tonight.

An outstanding win that those kids should be proud of. I just hope it doesn't distract everyone (including Sutter) from the fact that help in the defensive end is still vital. You won't score 10 every game. Still, a much needed, resounding win against one of the best teams in the Dub. I hope the team feels good about this one; they earned it.
    iMO you can keep dreaming on the dman, bc i dont see it happening. Name 3 d that would actually be available, i cant find any. The fact ZERO quality dmen have been traded in the dubso far says a lot to me. Sutter is a d first type of coach, my gut tells me we would have seen an upgrade already if one was available. You think we need d, how about brandon and kelowna....

I was asking the question, not suggesting Bleacks be named the captain again.
    Ahh ok, I wasn't sure where you were going with that question, it sounded like you thought Bleackley should have just kept on being captain.

Wow. 7-0 Rebels after the first. Should have traded the captain months ago.
    Every player on the team looked like they were working about five times harder than they have in at least a month. A tip of the hat to Wyatt Johnson as well, who scored 29 seconds into his first game with the Chiefs!

They do kill penalties and very good I might add.
    Yeah, on their first penalty kill last night, I sort of chuckled, because the two guys you had mentioned earlier in the day, were the two forwards on the #1 PK unit last night. It was a lot more aggressive than I have seen any Rebel PK this season, and I thought that Toth had one of his best games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4
    iMO you can keep dreaming on the dman, bc i dont see it happening. Name 3 d that would actually be available, i cant find any.
    Here is six. Dysin Mayo, Ty Stanton, Marc McNulty, Jason Fram, Jack Doughterty, and Brandon Carlo. All would be rentals, all are solid defensive or two-way defensemen that are languishing on rebuilding teams, or teams that have been rumoured to be sellers this season. Any one of these names could slot into the top 4 on the Rebels.

Something that I took from the game last night, is that there seems to really be something very dysfunctional with the Wheat Kings as a team this season. This is a team that is leading the East Division, and had the same number of points as the Rebels going into this game. As the Rebels pumped in goal after goal, the Wheat King players (with the exception of Nolan Patrick) didn't look the least bit frustrated or disappointed--it was like they had been losing like that all year long, and had just grown to accept it. The Wheat King coaching staff didn't look at all animated about the way the game progressed either, it was like they had just given up by the third goal.

RED DEER, AB Brent Sutter, General Manager of the Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club, announced today the acquisition of 20-year old forward Luke Philp from the Kootenay Ice in exchange for 20-year old forward Presten Kopeck, 17-year old defenceman Ryan Pouliot, 16-year old prospect Tanner Sidaway, a 2nd and 3rd round selection in the 2016 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.
    Not exactly sure how crazy I am about this one. Pouliot was just a numbers thing, and I don't think Sidaway was ever going to play in Red Deer, however a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a forward that by all accounts won't be playing until the playoffs at the soonest seems like a lot to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Not exactly sure how crazy I am about this one. Pouliot was just a numbers thing, and I don't think Sidaway was ever going to play in Red Deer, however a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a forward that by all accounts won't be playing until the playoffs at the soonest seems like a lot to give up.
    Not too sure how much I like this, either. I figured they'd be set at forward but it does appear now that Sutter just plans on trying to outscore everyone to the Memorial Cup. Philp is an upgrade on Kopeck, no question, but he needs to actually get into the lineup first and I wonder if those assets couldn't have been more wisely allocated elsewhere.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 01-03-2016 at 11:38 AM.

As of today Red Deer has a 1st, 4th, and 6th through 12 rounders left in the 2016 draft year. The 2017 draft year has a 2nd, two 4ths, two 5ths, and 6 through 12 left in that draft year. Sutter has been very busy but he still has assets to work with going forward. He stalked up to be able to do what he has done so far not sure I agree with every trade but the team looked great last night.

They are also going to likely add a handful of 5th and 6th round picks in the offseason, as they get their overage numbers down.