Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '15-'16 Post Mortem

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Will be interesting to see if Pratt is on this team next year. I am guessing the draw of playing in the Memorial cup was huge in him deciding to come to Red Deer. I can't imagine him watching every game from the press box sat very well with him.
    He was the lone non-AP 16 year old on the team, so I am sure that he was made well aware that he wouldn't be playing in the tournament long before. Unlike some of the players on the team this season, I don't think he was here just for the Memorial Cup, he was here because Sutter has become known for putting more players in the NHL than average, and he wants in on that. These next few seasons are what he was brought in here for.

With all the hype going into the season about him, I would say he was my biggest disappointment for the year (from a player standpoint).
    What were your expectations of the only 16 year old playing limited minutes with role players, on a team that was top-heavy with 19 and 20 year old players? For me, if he doesn't improve on last season's numbers this season, I would be pretty disappointed.

The biggest disappointment for me this season was Mahura. Not the player, but his whole injury situation. I don't think there was anything that adversely affected the team more from start to finish this season, than Mahura's injury, as I believe that the Josh Mahura that we saw in the playoffs and tournament is a shadow of what we could have seen, had he played all season, and had all that experience. I think that also due to promises made to him, that it also made it difficult for Sutter to add that one more defenseman that they clearly needed for the post-season.

Have to wonder who the other players are that Sutter was referring to. Can't see it being Doetzel or Philp. Debrusk always seemed to be a team guy and said the right things everytime he was interviewed. Helewka maybe? Sutter sure made it sound like there was more than 1 guy.
    I have heard some interesting things about most of the players you have mentioned, as well as Fleury. Nikolishin has a really bad temper, and more than once this season was very vocal on the ice towards his teammates about mistakes they had made, so you can probably toss him into the mix as well. It is tough to throw all these big personalities together at the last minute, and hope that they all get along.

Either way, I am excited for this season, as even though they are losing a ton of offensive production, many of the 'Golden Boys' will be gone, and the team will have a lot of hungry players on it's roster again.

This Red Deer team is due to have a guy that has a break out year and far exceeds his expectation going in. With what should be increased opportunity due to more ice time, maybe we see that out of a Hagel or de Wit this year.
    I think that Hagel pretty much did that this year, at least for me. Here is a guy that came out of Jr. A, that had very below average conditioning when he arrived, and by the season's end managed to put up nearly 50 points.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    He was the lone non-AP 16 year old on the team, so I am sure that he was made well aware that he wouldn't be playing in the tournament long before. Unlike some of the players on the team this season, I don't think he was here just for the Memorial Cup, he was here because Sutter has become known for putting more players in the NHL than average, and he wants in on that. These next few seasons are what he was brought in here for.

What were your expectations of the only 16 year old playing limited minutes with role players, on a team that was top-heavy with 19 and 20 year old players? For me, if he doesn't improve on last season's numbers this season, I would be pretty disappointed.
    Agreed. I have a difficult time believing Pratt (or his parents) would have been amenable to giving up an NCAA scholarship to play one year in the Dub as a 16 year old in limited duties. Somewhat similar to Hagel's decision to leave Jr A, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

I think that Hagel pretty much did that this year, at least for me. Here is a guy that came out of Jr. A, that had very below average conditioning when he arrived, and by the season's end managed to put up nearly 50 points.
    My expectations to start with was the same as any other 16 year old in the league. Limited ice time on the fourth line, but then his signing is made such a big deal about and you hear about his size and how he can step right into the WHL and my expectations were set higher. He wasn't even able to steal fourth line minutes from a guy that you yourself stated will be in tough to make next year's team as a 19 year old. I don't think he set himself above other 16 year olds that were playing in the league which I guess is where the disapointment comes from.

I agree 100% on Hagel. He exceeded my expectations coming in. Now, the test will be whether he can build on this year or whether he becomes another Palenchuk, Maxwell, and Bleackley for that matter, where their 17 year old season basically set the mark for what they would achieve in their WHL careers.

Just about choked at the suggestion of Polei wearing the C next year. Until he actually makes the effort to take two strides back along the boards in his own zone instead of standing there waiting for the puck to come to him and watching it get intercepted time and time again by the opposition, I don't think he is the guy you want leading your young players. Not to mention the stupid, selfish penalties he took that cost the Rebels in many games this season. Yes, he is a big body and scored some big goals for this team this year, but with the ice time he was given, he should have scored some goals this year. I think the speed and effort of his linemates, especially Musil, is what set up the play and opened up the ice so he was able to score those goals. I can't believe Sutter didn't give Musil more of a chance to play with those top end, legitimate goal scorers this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    He wasn't even able to steal fourth line minutes from a guy that you yourself stated will be in tough to make next year's team as a 19 year old. I don't think he set himself above other 16 year olds that were playing in the league which I guess is where the disapointment comes from.
    You rarely see the big guys become dominant players until they are 18 or 19, probably due to the fact that they are trying to adapt to having grown a foot or so in a year. The big deal made of his signing had a lot more to do with the fact that he is possibly the first American player to give up a Div1 NCAA scholarship to play for the Rebels. The Rebels wasted a third round pick to bring in Purtill, I think under the premise that they thought he would be able to play defense. When it became clear that he couldn't play defense, they started using him on the fourth line. It was just another reason that the Purtill trade was just brutal, as there was really no good reason to be using him over Pratt in the lineup, other than they had just given up a 3rd round pick for him.

The Hockey Writers have a mock draft that has Bleackley going in the 2nd round, Bobyk in the 4th, Mahura and de Wit in the 6th, and Hagel in the 7th. Can't say as I see all of those things happening.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    The Hockey Writers have a mock draft that has Bleackley going in the 2nd round, Bobyk in the 4th, Mahura and de Wit in the 6th, and Hagel in the 7th. Can't say as I see all of those things happening.
    I would be pretty surprised to see Bleackley go in the first three rounds. Mahura and de Wit are probably pretty accurate, and Hagel could squeak in there too. Anyone taking Bobyk in the draft, anywhere, would be going completely off the board.