Thread: 2016-17 Hurricanes Camp

Default 2016-17 Hurricanes Camp

I was just at the EnMax watching some of the Canes Camp. My first impression every year is man can those kids can skate. The speed of the game these days is crazy. Felt good to be in the rink and watching some hockey. The Canes Training Camp list has 63 players on it. From what I can tell, there are 18 veterans (played at least 12 games in the WHL) in camp, but only 1 veteran goaltender, that of course being Stuart Skinner. Having Skinner as your only veteran goalkeeper is as good as it gets though.There are 6 other goalies with varying pedigrees in camp. I would think the Canes will start the season with 1 of them as the backup, but if need be, I can see Anholt trading for a veteran backup in a heartbeat.

Sometimes we tend to overcomplicate things, but to simplify the upcoming season, the Canes will go as far as Skinner can take them, and that could be all the way. That is by no means and indictment about the quality of the rest of the team. The Canes could well have the best forward line in the WHL, if not the entire CHL. Estephan, Wong and Burke could tear up the league scoring wise. The 2nd line could also be a fantastic unit, say with Babenko, Lindgren and Bellerive.

That leaves us with the Defense. The Canes D is the biggest question mark going into this season for sure. That is not to say they can't be great as 5 of them have at least 1 full year under their belt. If Addison comes as advertised, that could be a really good top six. Will it be? We have to wait and see.

One thing I will say is that this is the year the Canes need to go for broke. I can see them winning the Eastern Conference with very few changes. To win the Memorial Cup, which has to be this teams goal, they may need to pull the plug on a blockbuster. Provorov for Addison and a pick?

This is going to be one of the most entertaining seasons the Canes fans have ever seen!
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 08-27-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

This is a copy of my post on the WHL54 White Board.

I have no inside information but maybe they give 19 year Brandon Kegler (6'2", 200 lbs)a shot at the job. He is 19 and therefor pretty mature and his numbers in the BCHL last year were pretty good.

Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL Jr A) 22 3.09 8 8 1 0.910

He looked huge and pretty good in the practice session I watched today.

I know this kid, Josh Langford from Texas, is only 15 but I was happily surprised to see him in camp.

Josh Langford 6'3", 153 lb Acquired: 2016 4th round bantam pick
    Dallas Jr. Stars Elite (St. Albert AAA bant. tourn.) 3 3.15 0 2 0 0.930
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 08-28-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Default the canes are a fun team to watch.......................

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    This is a copy of my post on the WHL54 White Board.

I have no inside information but maybe they give 19 year Brandon Kegler (6'2", 200 lbs)a shot at the job. He is 19 and therefor pretty mature and his numbers in the BCHL last year were pretty good.

Salmon Arm Silverbacks (BCHL Jr A) 22 3.09 8 8 1 0.910

He looked huge and pretty good in the practice session I watched today.

I know this kid, Josh Langford from Texas, is only 15 but I was happily surprised to see him in camp.

Josh Langford 6'3", 153 lb Acquired: 2016 4th round bantam pick
    Dallas Jr. Stars Elite (St. Albert AAA bant. tourn.) 3 3.15 0 2 0 0.930
    GREAT game tonight boys, keep it going..................
    GO CANES GO.................

Is Stuart Skinner ever going to live up to all of the hype?.

In his career so far, I would say he has not quite lived up to the expectations. That is not to say he hasn’t been pretty darn good, and at times great, but overall he has some room for improvement. Maybe it is because the expectations for him since he was 14 were just too high. NHL Central Scouting has rated him an A prospect, which equates to a 1st round draft pick. Skinner needs to prove them right over the next 6 months. Today I don’t think he is worthy of a NHL 1st round draft pick. Goalies do develop, or not, differently than all the other players though so who is to say come June he is not a 1st round pick.

Right now he is definitely one of the top 10, if not a top 5 or 6 goalie in the WHL, but he is a fair ways away from being best goalie. He is only 18 so he has time to prove that he may well be the best goalie, but the time to do that is now. His numbers right now are pretty average:

Skinner, Stuart 277 166 149 17 1 3.68 0.898 3 2
    I will say the Canes defensive play in front of Skinner has been pretty weak at best. Having said that, Skinner needs to be more consistent. If you take out 6 minutes of the 3rd period last night against Kelowna and 10 minutes of the Canes second game against the Tigers in the second period, his numbers would be astronomical. Problem is, those combined 16 minutes can’t be brushed aside. Skinner allowed 8 goals in those combined 16 minutes. In the other 260 minutes he has only allowed 9 goals. Again, consistency is the issue. Maybe as he gets used to playing nearly every game, he can correct these problems.

Now that I got that off my chest, here is what I really want to say about Skinner’s goaltending. He has one major flaw in his game that I have noticed since day one and I think the other teams know it. High to his glove side! Not only does he have a weak glove, but he sometimes tends to play too far to his right, leaving a lot of room on his left/glove side! Here are 4 examples of goals scored high on his glove side.

http://lethbridgehurricanes.com/vide...t-hurricanes-3
    At the 1:25 and 2:05 mark.

http://lethbridgehurricanes.com/vide...s-hurricanes-3
    At the :40 and the 1:15 mark.

The goal at the 1:25 mark of the Kelowna game is what I have seen way too many times. The goal at the 40 second mark against the Hat, Skinner actually gets a glove on it, but like a lot of other shots top left, he bats at it but does not catch it.

As good as the Canes offense is going to be this year, their defence needs to be a lot better, and Skinner needs to prove he is a world class 18 year old goalie.