Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 16 -17 Season Discussion

Calgary is not a good team, I agree, and yet they are only 5 points back of the Rebels with 2 games in hand. Despite the issues they've had this year, until the last two weeks or so I would have said that I'd be shocked if Red Deer didn't make the playoffs, just due to the teams chasing them. With 15 or so games left to play, however, it doesn't look very certain at all. The way they've been playing, it seems like the spot is there for the taking if the Hitmen get themselves on any kind of run.

As an aside, I was curious as to when Red Deer last won three straight. It seems aside from the early season streak, there have been no blocks of games where they've consistently played well. The fact is, after the 6 game winning streak earlier this year, they haven't won 3 straight games since. Not once. How do you expect to make the playoffs if you can't put together 3 straight wins more than once a season? Even worse, they've won back to back games three times this season. You're reading that correctly. Outside of the 6 game winning streak, they have won 2 straight games.... 3 times this year.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Calgary is not a good team, I agree, and yet they are only 5 points back of the Rebels with 2 games in hand.
    I think that they are actually similar teams, but where Red Deer has had pretty inconsistent goaltending, I don't know if Calgary has even gotten a shred of consistency from theirs.

As an aside, I was curious as to when Red Deer last won three straight. It seems aside from the early season streak, there have been no blocks of games where they've consistently played well.
    It was that 6 game winning streak early in the season. Not really too shocking though, given the experience/skill of their depth players, and carrying five rookie defensemen. Established, competitive teams win three games in a row, rebuilding teams full of rookies and projects rarely do.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Established, competitive teams win three games in a row, rebuilding teams full of rookies and projects rarely do.
    This isn't a team in a full rebuild. There is enough talent on this club to have more than one 3-game winning streak all season; there is no question in my mind as to that. This is a club that goes out and knocks off a team like Prince George twice, and then dumps games to clubs 20-plus points further down in the standings than they are. No one is expecting them to challenge for the division, but I do think they should be better than they are, record-wise.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 02-17-2017 at 12:31 AM.

3 shots against Seattle in the first period. This has nothing to do with youth or inexperience and everything to do with a bunch of players that don't give a rat's ass. Look at Sutter's comments. It isn't the young players he is calling out. The Rebels have 2 lines that are good, proven whlers that just like so many before them have once again decided to quit. How many years did Medicine Hat remain competitive with just one good line?
    Slim chance Musil and Spacek are back next year. If this is a rebuild year, why weren't they traded for assets like Edmonton did with their best players? Sutter thought he had a secondary contending team that could finish middle of the pack and maybe surprise a first round match up. He said it himself right before the deadline when the Rebels played Lethbridge so tough and Skinner was the difference in the game.

This isn't a team in a full rebuild.
    I wish that I could share your optimism. They carried ten 19 year old players last season, which means that with the loss of last year's overage players, they had to somehow fill TEN roster spots, including 3 defensmen, and both goaltenders. When the dust settled, there is only one returning defenseman from last season (Bobyk). They have a few residual scorers from last season (Spacek, Musil, Hagel and surprisingly Polei), but don't kid yourself--this is a team in full rebuild.

There is enough talent on this club to have more than one 3-game winning streak all season; there is no question in my mind as to that.
    The issue with the team isn't really a lack of talent, but more a lack of experienced depth, and inconsistent goaltending. Too many goals being scored against, due to inexperienced players getting beat positionally, Spacek not backchecking at all, or just a generally abysmal penalty kill.

Next season there will be even more change, as they will lose all but two of their players that consistently score goals, and appear poised to go with an even less experienced goaltending tandem. I haven't been totally excited about how a couple of the rookie defensemen have developed as the season goes on either, I hope that they prove me wrong next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Slim chance Musil and Spacek are back next year. If this is a rebuild year, why weren't they traded for assets like Edmonton did with their best players?
    Edmonton is a year or two ahead in their rebuild, and could afford to trade a few of their impact players. You can't just empty your entire team of experience, there has to be some players left to play the tough minutes. If Winnipeg has scouted Spacek at all since the trade deadline, it seems unlikely that they will offer him a pro contract given how poor his defensive play has been in the last few months. There may not have been a good fit for Spacek to be moved anywhere, but I sort of wish that they would have moved him.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I wish that I could share your optimism. They carried ten 19 year old players last season, which means that with the loss of last year's overage players, they had to somehow fill TEN roster spots, including 3 defensmen, and both goaltenders. When the dust settled, there is only one returning defenseman from last season (Bobyk). They have a few residual scorers from last season (Spacek, Musil, Hagel and surprisingly Polei), but don't kid yourself--this is a team in full rebuild.
    I disagree. A team in full rebuild mode would have moved Spacek, Bobyk, Polei (among others) at the deadline for whatever they would bring back. It would not have acquired Glover. You say you can't just go full Edmonton, because you still need to be competitive in games... well, that's not a full rebuild. This looks suspiciously like what the Calgary Flames did for years, where they didn't make a commitment either way and were a fringe playoff team that never ended up with high picks. There's no way Sutter makes the moves he did this year if he didn't think they could be competitive this year, which is pretty much the exact opposite of "full rebuild."

Further to that, as you said yourself - wait for next year. If this year's club is in a full rebuild, we're going to have to basically write a new defiition of what "full" means to encompass how much worse they will be next year.

I disagree. A team in full rebuild mode would have moved Spacek, Bobyk, Polei (among others) at the deadline for whatever they would bring back. It would not have acquired Glover. You say you can't just go full Edmonton, because you still need to be competitive in games...
    I didn't say they had to be competitive. There is a huge difference between having enough experience in your lineup to skate with other WHL teams, and getting blown out 9-0 in every game. Not ever having a chance to win a game from the drop of the puck doesn't help a player's confidence, and without confidence it is very hard for players to develop. The Tigers missed the playoffs for like eleven straight seasons by selling off all of their experienced players every other season--I have seen it in action.

I am not a big fan of the Glover deal, even though they only gave up a listed player and a 3rd rounder for him. I have a feeling that Sutter had a more low-key move lined up, and that it fell through, or he got scooped on it. In hindsight, they probably should have kept Toth if they were going to play half the season with 2 overage players and a 1 season goaltender like Petersen.

There's no way Sutter makes the moves he did this year if he didn't think they could be competitive this year, which is pretty much the exact opposite of "full rebuild."
    He didn't make any blockbuster trades, or acquire any impact players. The biggest deal he made this season was moving an NHL drafted defenseman out for younger players and a bunch of picks. The rest of the trades that he made, were to bring in depth players to fill all the holes in the roster left by graduating players last season.

Further to that, as you said yourself - wait for next year. If this year's club is in a full rebuild, we're going to have to basically write a new defiition of what "full" means to encompass how much worse they will be next year.
    Next season we will be so fully immersed in the rebuild, that even the people that haven't been 25 year season ticket holders like me will be fully aware that the team is rebuilding.

I am not a big fan of the Glover deal, even though they only gave up a listed player and a 3rd rounder for him. I have a feeling that Sutter had a more low-key move lined up, and that it fell through, or he got scooped on it.
    Regardless, I don't see any way Sutter makes that trade if he figured this year was just about developing kids. I think he thought, like probably most of us thought without the hindsight of the post-deadline mess this team has become, that they could make some noise, however minor (a possible 1st round playoff win?) this year. Anyway, I think we've covered this ground, if we disagree, we disagree.

In hindsight, they probably should have kept Toth if they were going to play half the season with 2 overage players and a 1 season goaltender like Petersen.
    The only explanation for this is that Sutter was completely fooled by Lamb, at least for this year. The only reason he moves Toth is because he felt Lamb was ready to be the starting goalie in this league. I, along with pretty much everyone else, was very surprised to see Toth moved without Lamb proving himself in a single WHL game. Anyway... whatever the plan was, there's no question that it went awry in a big way, as evidenced by Lasse Petersen ending up being the team's starting goalie.

Snapping back to the present - eight straight losses. Given all the factors in play here, I have a difficult time believing they haven't mentally pulled the plug on this year. I would be very surprised if anyone in that locker room actually thinks they can beat Lethbridge in the first round, even if they do make the playoffs. Feels like one way or another, they're probably playing out the string more or less in the next month. I'd love to be proven wrong, but... I don't see it.

Regardless, I don't see any way Sutter makes that trade if he figured this year was just about developing kids.
    Glover was brought in to replace the elements that the team lost when Pawlenchuk's season ended, a hard-working player that is defensively responsible. Sutter wasn't loading up to make a run for it all, if he were, I would hope that he would do a lot more than replace Pawlenchuk in the lineup till the end of the season, and unload an NHL drafted defenseman...

The only explanation for this is that Sutter was completely fooled by Lamb, at least for this year.
    I believe you are right on the money here, and he was correct at least in the early part of the year. Having watched Lamb throughout training camp, I have to admit that he fooled me as well.

I would be very surprised if anyone in that locker room actually thinks they can beat Lethbridge in the first round, even if they do make the playoffs.
    There is a pretty big gap in skill and experience between teams in the east this year(particularly in the central). It would be a pretty bold prediction to not predict the wildcard teams getting blown out in four straight games by the respective division leaders.