Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: 16 -17 Season Discussion

Anyone hear how Musil hurt himself?

Also interesting to note, although not really surprising in any way, Zablocki now wearing Spacek's old letter.

Gotta think that he is in the running for the 'C' next year.

Well, I guess what should have happened ended up happening. Pretty surprised that they won three games against Lethbridge. Unfortunate the way it ended with the lack of discipline, but that's been an issue for years with several different groups. All in all though, pretty hard to be too unhappy with the way this season ended. Of course winning a series would have been awesome, but on paper they really had no business even being in the series. No forwards outside the top 2 lines contributed anything even approaching an offensive chance all series, and the youth and lack of depth on the back end became clearer as the series continued. I'm not going to single anyone out on the back end but there were a couple guys who were just...beyond bad in games 5-7. Some of the worst (and softest) defensive miscues I've seen in a long time in a few of those games. At the end of the day though, you're rolling with 17 year olds, a couple 18 year olds who contending teams found expendable, Colton Bobyk, and a rookie. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Well, I guess what should have happened ended up happening. Pretty surprised that they won three games against Lethbridge. Unfortunate the way it ended with the lack of discipline, but that's been an issue for years with several different groups. All in all though, pretty hard to be too unhappy with the way this season ended. Of course winning a series would have been awesome, but on paper they really had no business even being in the series. No forwards outside the top 2 lines contributed anything even approaching an offensive chance all series, and the youth and lack of depth on the back end became clearer as the series continued. I'm not going to single anyone out on the back end but there were a couple guys who were just...beyond bad in games 5-7. Some of the worst (and softest) defensive miscues I've seen in a long time in a few of those games. At the end of the day though, you're rolling with 17 year olds, a couple 18 year olds who contending teams found expendable, Colton Bobyk, and a rookie. It is what it is.

Ma, it's been a looooong time since i've been on this site, looks like most can say the same thing!

No issues here with that series, not sure how much more you can ask. Correct the bottom two lines didnt contribute much, but its not like 5 on 5 their depth guys were running our show offensively the entire series. No doubt we ran out of gas in 6-7 though. We did have 2 18 year olds getting a ton of points at the top of the lineup, so it's really how you look at it. Their top 6 was carried by 19-20's. Obviously its nice to see Hagel and Zablocki establish themselves as offensive leaders next season, combined with the return of Powlenchuk, who could prob put up 50pts?? Appears they have a few openings for 20's and a euro, so wouldn't be suprised to see more offensive guys added there?? All in all, still a youngish forward group, but if the Bains', Pratt's, Martin's, Johnson's take a 10-15 pt step each, gives some decent offensive depth. Reading articles the team seems high on the Douglas's and Cutlers, so I guess we'll see what they bring. Dont know much about the kids not on roster so cant comment.

Really excited about the back end though. Freadrich was a great add for them, scored what, 35 pts this yr?? Would hesitate to call him a cast-off, because I would think he could have come in handy for Regina next year. Avg skater for sure, but can work a PP. Schuldhaus brings a different element I guess, liked him with Alexyev. Seemed to struggle at times when he had to play with a younger guy, so basically the entire last 2 months. Was not a strand lover, so the fact he brings some toughness is good to see, and a yr youunger. The 2 16's in Herauf and Barteaux took big steps, herauf has some physicality in his game, barteaux skates really well. Team actually played very well 5 on 5 the last month from what I watch, with the GA being pretty good, shows maturity. Fairly good balance in ages, plus Alexyev next year, looks to be a big strength into the next few yrs.

Lamb is fine for me. still guilty of the odd bad goal, but for a kid that came out of nowhere he had a decent playoff.

Good year overall, wasnt expecting a TON of winning. Lots of inconsistency, which we heard lots about. I'm sure having Alexeyev/Powlenchuk/Johnson didnt help things, thats some good depth gone right there. Have watched junior enough, you can only expect so much from 16-17's.

Did a quick look today at the Central next year, some teams like Leth, Mh look to lose a fair number of guys. EDM and KTN dont really have much returning. IF the Rebs can add atleast a forward or two with the Euro/20 spot, and the D continue to grow, no reason the team cant CONTEND for the division crown next year. Losing Spacek/Musil/Polei will hurt, but every team loses 3-4 guys. Hagel and Zablocki will be the offensive cornerstones for the next few seasons.

Looking forward to September.

I'm not going to single anyone out on the back end but there were a couple guys who were just...beyond bad in games 5-7. Some of the worst (and softest) defensive miscues I've seen in a long time in a few of those games.
    I know who one of them is, and while he is a rookie, I wasn't crazy about his development this season, seemed to get more and more bad on the boards, lacked poise and got worse positionally as the season moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup
    Unfortunate the way it ended with the lack of discipline, but that's been an issue for years with several different groups
    Lethbridge had clearly more experience and skill in their lineup. Red Deer just totally outworked Lethbridge in the three games that they won. Red Deer couldn't match them line for line from a skill perspective however, so that is where the lack of discipline started to creep in.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4
    Really excited about the back end though. Freadrich was a great add for them, scored what, 35 pts this yr?? Would hesitate to call him a cast-off, because I would think he could have come in handy for Regina next year.
    He doesn't have all of the tools to be a great defenseman, but what I like about him is that he gets every little bit out of what skills and attributes that he does have, and is very poised.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4
    Reading articles the team seems high on the Douglas's and Cutlers, so I guess we'll see what they bring. Dont know much about the kids not on roster so cant comment.
    Those articles are more for the player's confidence, as they are for any real information. I like Cutler's game, and Douglas has a lot of hockey sense. It will be interesting to see what they both turn out to be next season, when they could both be seeing a regular shift. With 40 games and change, playing in an limited role over the last three seasons, it will be interesting to see what Reese Johnson does as a 19 year old.

The team is in an interesting situation next season. They appear to want to get Byron Fancy on to the roster full-time, so it seems like Petersen is the odd-man out in goal next season. It seems unlikely they will keep a 4th liner in Campese as an overage player next season. Spacek and Musil will be playing pro next season, which leaves only Pawlenchuk as the lone overage player. I don't see any impact overage players being available to the Rebels next season, at least not until the trade deadline, however there are still some solid character guys out there that could fill second line and 3/4 defenseman roles. Will be very interested in seeing what they do with the import draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post

The team is in an interesting situation next season. They appear to want to get Byron Fancy on to the roster full-time, so it seems like Petersen is the odd-man out in goal next season. It seems unlikely they will keep a 4th liner in Campese as an overage player next season. Spacek and Musil will be playing pro next season, which leaves only Pawlenchuk as the lone overage player. I don't see any impact overage players being available to the Rebels next season, at least not until the trade deadline, however there are still some solid character guys out there that could fill second line and 3/4 defenseman roles. Will be very interested in seeing what they do with the import draft pick.
    Good point on the goaltending. It looks like Lamb will be the starter, but not sure if that should be 60+ game starter. fancy interesting in that he is highly touted, but is it worth keeping him as a backup?

Agree on the 20 year old crop. If they can snag a quality euro fwd, maybe 2 "decent" 20's (40-50 pt guys) are all they will need?? This would give them a top 6 of Hagel (70pts?), Zablocki (70pts?), Pawlenchuk (50pts?), Pratt (50 pts?), euro (50pts), 20 (40 pts), which all told isnt too bad. Not crazy good, but combined with good goaltending and good defense, might create a good dynamic overall. I just feel that based on an initial glance of Central rosters, the team truly can compete for the title if the above are added. I know that a Lethbridge team minus Wong, Estephan, Alfaro, and Zborosky will have some growing pains, plus have too many 20's. MH has like 10 20's next year, so many changes there as well. KTN is probably in the same situation as this year. EDM won like 4 games in the back half so they have a ways to go. No clue how to evaluate CGY, but have a 20 problem.

Freadrich was a very good pickup for this club. The problem is that he was forced to be the #1 guy. He's a smart player with good poise, and moves the puck pretty well, but he's not a number one defenseman on a good WHL club as of right now. So that's not on him, but he was forced into too many situations during the playoffs and that showed as well. If him, Sakowich, and Alexeyev continue to improve on what they showed this season, and Herauf and/or Barteaux turn into impact defensemen, there is a ton to like about that blue line. No question about that. It will be interesting to see what they bring next year, as we will start to see what they are all about as 17s.

Up front I think goals will be extremely hard to come by next year. Outside of Hagel, there is no one on the roster as it stands that's capable of really being a prolific offensive chance generator. Zablocki showed good things this year, but most of his goals are a product of being in the right place or just out working someone. After those two, there aren't any proven WHL scoring threats left. Pawlenchuk should be good for 40, perhaps more just by virtue of being one of the older players in the league. I don't know what they have in Pratt or what they can expect. I understand that he wasn't playing with the most talented guys, but he didn't even bother showing up in the playoffs (Glover was disappointing in that regard as well). I don't think its realistic to expect Bains or Hausinger to transform into offensive weapons, and I'm not really too sure Martin or Roy will even be seeing regular minutes next year given what they showed as 18s this year. I won't try to evaluate any of the 16 year old forwards.

In net, the job will be Lambs to lose going into training camp unless something changes there. He could come in and be solid or downright terrible, and neither would surprise me.

Up front I think goals will be extremely hard to come by next year. Outside of Hagel, there is no one on the roster as it stands that's capable of really being a prolific offensive chance generator. Zablocki showed good things this year, but most of his goals are a product of being in the right place or just out working someone. After those two, there aren't any proven WHL scoring threats left. Pawlenchuk should be good for 40, perhaps more just by virtue of being one of the older players in the league. I don't know what they have in Pratt or what they can expect. I understand that he wasn't playing with the most talented guys, but he didn't even bother showing up in the playoffs (Glover was disappointing in that regard as well). I don't think its realistic to expect Bains or Hausinger to transform into offensive weapons, and I'm not really too sure Martin or Roy will even be seeing regular minutes next year given what they showed as 18s this year. I won't try to evaluate any of the 16 year old forwards.

In net, the job will be Lambs to lose going into training camp unless something changes there. He could come in and be solid or downright terrible, and neither would surprise me.
    I think ultimately, as mentioned in previous posts, it will depend largely on a euro fwd, which Sutter mentioned in the website article today. They have had good success the last 2 yrs on euros, so hopefully its a kid than can chip in with 50 pts. The wild card is the 20 year olds, of which there is only one. With Pratt, we're talking about a 17 year old that still managed 30+ pts this yr, so thats not all that bad. Playoff was below avg, but that's not all that uncommon for 16-17 year olds when the pace and intensity ramps up. Was a far older Lethbridge team overall.

To me, the offense will be more of a "by committee" effort. They have probably 2 guys capable of 70 pts, and hopefully 2-3 more with 50+ (20's, euros), and then based on past years another 3-4 fwds with 25+ potential. That doesnt include a d core that LIKELY will bring more offense than this season.

All told, its a team which isnt going to blow the doors off with goals, but CAN be successful with good goaltending and defense.