Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 16 -17 Season Discussion

I would like to know what your definition of a mauling is. I sit in that section and had a birds eye view of the whole thing. The ref may have tried to be the center of attention but it was still an easy call. Letís move along to the Kelowna game.
    I wonít say this often but I thought Bobyk was outstanding tonight. I wish he would play like this more often. From top to bottom the Rebels played well. The writing is on wall for Martin. I think Riley Lamb is there go to guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKrebel View Post
    I won’t say this often but I thought Bobyk was outstanding tonight.
    He got there for sure, but he did blow about five easy, weak passes to the point in the first half of the game.

The writing is on wall for Martin. I think Riley Lamb is there go to guy.
    Will be interesting to see what they do with that extra overage spot. I think that Schmoorkoff, and Sass or Herauf are probably still on the bubble. Sakowich looked great in his own end last night, and has been improving with every game.

I would like to know what your definition of a mauling is. I sit in that section and had a birds eye view of the whole thing. The ref may have tried to be the center of attention but it was still an easy call. Letís move along to the Kelowna game.
    I wonít say this often but I thought Bobyk was outstanding tonight. I wish he would play like this more often. From top to bottom the Rebels played well. The writing is on wall for Martin. I think Riley Lamb is there go to guy.
    I agree. One of the better games I have seen Bobyk play. I must give Polei some credit for much more effort in this game as well. Rockets were on the wrong end of a lot of hits. I bet there were lots of them nursing bumps and bruises on the bus ride home. Loved de Wit answering the call and getting the upper hand in the fight after the hit as well.

Bad enough wasting a 20 year old spot on a goaltender, little less a back up goaltender. Unfortunately I can't see them getting much for Martin via trade and there isn't much out there for impact 20 year olds that will be available via trade without giving up assets. Short of Sutter knowing that he is getting one of his 20 year olds back from the AHL, it will be very interesting to see what they end up doing with this spot.
    Maybe just me, but it seems like Musil just doesn't have it going 100% yet. He is still playing well, but wondering if the pressure of having the C on his chest is making him try a little to hard resulting in him not being quite as effective. Hopefully he can get it going as the Rebels have two pretty decent lines that should be able to put the puck in the net and win them some games.

He got there for sure, but he did blow about five easy, weak passes to the point in the first half of the game[/B]

I saw few of those. As the game went on he got stronger. I now see what you were talking about in the one timers. I would hate to be front of the net when he shoots..

ill be interesting to see what they do with that extra overage spot. I think that Schmoorkoff, and Sass or Herauf are probably still on the bubble. Sakowich looked great in his own end last night, and has been improving with every game

I think Schmoorkoff is gone. I would like to see the Rebels give that job to one of the other 2 players
    Last edited by BDKrebel; 10-10-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    there isn't much out there for impact 20 year olds that will be available via trade without giving up assets. Short of Sutter knowing that he is getting one of his 20 year olds back from the AHL, it will be very interesting to see what they end up doing with this spot.
    They may just release Martin, and wait to see what shakes loose for free on the overage cutoff on the 15th, or go with two overage players after that in the hopes that someone has an overage player returned that bumps someone else out of their lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKrebel
    I saw few of those. As the game went on he got stronger. I now see what you were talking about in the one timers. I would hate to be front of the net when he shoots..
    He is the only Rebel defenseman that gets pucks on net pretty consistently, and that is largely due to the one-timers. If he stops the puck that is coming towards him, he is going to pass it again, pretty much 100% of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    I bet there were lots of them nursing bumps and bruises on the bus ride home.

What you see is what you get from Polei. He can get lazy at times but seems to score some huge goals.
    Bad enough wasting a 20 year old spot on a goaltender, little less a back up goaltender. Maybe just me, but it seems like Musil just doesn't have it going 100% yet. He is still playing well, but wondering if the pressure of having the C on his chest is making him try a little to hard resulting in him not being quite as effective. Hopefully he can get it going as the Rebels have two pretty decent lines that should be able to put the puck in the net and win them some games

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie;204866[/QUOTE
    I think Martin will be released. Musil being named the captain was the right choice. I never understood why Sutter gave the C to Philp last year. I know both of you would agree with me on this, Doetzel should have been the captain.

What you see is what you get from Polei. He can get lazy at times but seems to score some huge goals
    I think that he has always struggled with his conditioning, and the end result of this is that he always saves a little bit in the tank each shift.

Musil being named the captain was the right choice. I never understood why Sutter gave the C to Philp last year. I know both of you would agree with me on this, Doetzel should have been the captain.
    Doetzel should have been made the captain when Bleackley was made the captain, and when Johnson was made the captain, and definitely when Philp was made the captain. I personally would have made Pawlenchuk or Polei the captain, but I understand the politics that goes into carrying NHL drafted players on your roster.

Schmoorkoff was reassigned yesterday, and it is only a matter of time for Martin. I for one would love to see them acquire a Sutter type player like Calvin Leth from Seattle, who could be available with the return of Gropp.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Schmoorkoff was reassigned yesterday, and it is only a matter of time for Martin. I for one would love to see them acquire a Sutter type player like Calvin Leth from Seattle, who could be available with the return of Gropp.
    It's no surprise that Schmoorkoff was reassigned. There was just no room for him on this team. I doubt any WHL team will pick him up. He will most likely be playing Junior "A" somewhere. Who was he reassigned to. I could not find any articles on this.

As for Cavin Leth. I don't know much about him. We only see Seattle once every 2 years. I will take your word for it.
    Last edited by BDKrebel; 10-11-2016 at 01:33 PM.

As for Calvin Leth. I don't know much about him. We only see Seattle once every 2 years. I will take your word for it.
    He played in Swift from 2013-16. He is not a spectacular offensive talent, but a gritty, hard-working player.

Schmoorkoff was reassigned to Sherwood Park of the AJHL.
    Last edited by SectionNDeserter; 10-11-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    it is only a matter of time for Martin.
    I would be very surprised if Martin lasts until the end of the week. He will probably be another guy who ends his career playing Junior "A" hockey for some team. They won't get anything for him so your right that they will probably outright release him. Riley Lamb has played really well and gives the Rebels an easy choice to make. He had some rough outings against Regina and Medicine Hat but the Hat scored 4 power play goals against him. There was some pretty weak calls. A nice position to be in from a coaches stand point. They will have him for possibly 2 more years and then we can develop Byron Fancy. Verhelst is probably going to be the backup this year but Sutter may try and split the games between the 2 of them. Toth and Martin were adequate in there time here but not outstanding. We have been really spoiled with some good goalies over the years. We look really solid in this position but things can happen we can't foresee.

I was looking at the stats for Cavin Leth. He scored 12 goals last year so it wouldn't be a stretch to see him score 15-20 this year if they do go after him. He has to at the very least get 3rd line minutes and some 2nd line duty. Your 20 year olds should be your best players. I don't think there are a lot of 20 year old defenseman available in the Dub so Brent may look for a defenseman in Junior "A". He has gone that route before.
    Last edited by BDKrebel; 10-11-2016 at 06:10 PM.