Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 149

Thread: 16 -17 Season Discussion

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Wonder if Verhelst ended up with a concussion. Seem to be pretty wishy washy with how long he is going to be out. Would be surprised if we ever see him in the dub again.
    A puzzling injury as far as I am concerned, since he hadn't even had a practice with the team yet, and from everything I have heard, had just been working one on one with Dakers, getting into shape.

    Sutter made the right decision on Herauf. If he isn't going to give him time in the line up, send him somewhere where they will.
    Two rookies on the blueline is about as many as you can typically have without losing a lot of hockey games, and crushing their confidence, as far as I am concerned. The Rebels are routinely playing three in the lineup, and there is just no way to get four of them in there without constantly rotating one out for long stretches. I figured it was probably going to be Sass or Herauf going, and it is probably better that it is the younger of the two.

  2. #42

    Default

    Perhaps I'm just interpreting the tone of your post wrong, but the way I'm reading it, you feel that Herauf was ready to fill a bigger role on the team this year? Granted, my exposure to the team this year has been limited because of work, but even throughout training camp Sutter was clearly not impressed with how Herauf showed. In fact, I was a little surprised he even made the team out of camp given the mostly negative reviews he'd received from Sutter. In the article on the website today, Sutter said something to the effect of "the player in camp this year was not the one we scouted," essentially. With the relative dearth of experience on the back end on this team, I think that if Herauf was ready to play at this level, Sutter would have had no problem giving him ice time. He had no problem putting Fleury and Mahura in the lineup on a pretty regular basis when they were 16s and hardly setting the league on fire. What's most disappointing about this, to me, is that a first-round bantam pick was unable to show that he was at least at the level of, never mind better than, three other WHL rookies.

    Again, if that Herauf didn't get a fair shake this year wasn't your implication, then I guess this post really isn't all that relevant. But for what it's worth, I think Jacob Herauf is the reason Jacob Herauf isn't playing WHL hockey this year, not Brent Sutter.
    Last edited by calcheyup; 10-14-2016 at 07:33 PM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    He had no problem putting Fleury and Mahura in the lineup on a pretty regular basis when they were 16s and hardly setting the league on fire.
    Fleury yes, Mahura no. Fleury was a beast as a 16 year old, and took a fairly regular shift, Mahura played about 2-3 minutes per game as a 16 year old, and was regularly in and out of the lineup. To play in the WHL as a 16 year old defenseman, I think you have to be an exceptional player. Herauf is a good prospect, just not exceptional.

    What's most disappointing about this, to me, is that a first-round bantam pick was unable to show that he was at least at the level of, never mind better than, three other WHL rookies.
    In his defense, he is a stay at home defenseman that was picked in the second half of the first round of the bantam draft. I don't think he is at the level of Sakowich, but he is at least at the level of Sass, he is just a year younger.

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Perhaps I'm just interpreting the tone of your post wrong, but the way I'm reading it, you feel that Herauf was ready to fill a bigger role on the team this year? Granted, my exposure to the team this year has been limited because of work, but even throughout training camp Sutter was clearly not impressed with how Herauf showed. In fact, I was a little surprised he even made the team out of camp given the mostly negative reviews he'd received from Sutter. In the article on the website today, Sutter said something to the effect of "the player in camp this year was not the one we scouted," essentially. With the relative dearth of experience on the back end on this team, I think that if Herauf was ready to play at this level, Sutter would have had no problem giving him ice time. He had no problem putting Fleury and Mahura in the lineup on a pretty regular basis when they were 16s and hardly setting the league on fire. What's most disappointing about this, to me, is that a first-round bantam pick was unable to show that he was at least at the level of, never mind better than, three other WHL rookies.

    Again, if that Herauf didn't get a fair shake this year wasn't your implication, then I guess this post really isn't all that relevant. But for what it's worth, I think Jacob Herauf is the reason Jacob Herauf isn't playing WHL hockey this year, not Brent Sutter.
    No, that is right, the reason Herauf got send down was because of Herauf. In the MH game he got maybe 5 shifts and in the last one got beat very badly in what was the go ahead goal (if I remember correctly). It was obvious from training camp he didn't give what the Rebels expected he would and Sutter wasn't going to have the confindence in him to give him a regular shift. I would much rather see him get sent down and get to play and develop than sitting in press box every game. You are right, pretty disappointing when the first round pick isn't the best looking rookie on the team, although most of the other rookies are a year older.
    Didn't make the game tonight but sounded like a pretty good effort 5 on 5 from the boys against a pretty good team in Moose Jaw. Although it sounded like MJ's goaltending might have been a little marginal. Looks like Rebels have a lot of work to do on their penalty kill and powerplay still, maybe not giving up 8 or 9 powerplays would have helped as well. Was this a case of a ref trying to be a hero again or were the penalties actually deserved tonight?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Red Deer
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    Didn't make the game tonight but sounded like a pretty good effort 5 on 5 from the boys against a pretty good team in Moose Jaw. Although it sounded like MJ's goaltending might have been a little marginal. Looks like Rebels have a lot of work to do on their penalty kill and powerplay still, maybe not giving up 8 or 9 powerplays would have helped as well. Was this a case of a ref trying to be a hero again or were the penalties actually deserved tonight?
    When they were on even strength they were good. It was really lopsided in the power plays for Moose Jaw 8-2. You really can’t fault the Rebels penalty kill for this as the refereeing was a little suspect. I thought there were a lot of non calls that could have went against Moose Jaw. Some of the penalties were in a corner I couldn't see so I really can’t comment on them. They do need work on their special teams.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Red Deer
    Posts
    87

    Default

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    A puzzling injury as far as I am concerned, since he hadn't even had a practice with the team yet, and from everything I have heard, had just been working one on one with Dakers, getting into shape .
    I was looking at one of Greg Meachem’s articles and Verhelst was never going to report to Spokanes training camp. He’s been in Brandon and hasn’t played since last year. He’s already had 3 concussions, retired and then had a change of heart. I believe he had been working with both Dakers and Lodge. Concussions are a strange thing and from what we know about them now you don’t want to take them too lightly.

    Here is a quote directly from Brent Sutter.

    “Tyson Verhelst suffered a severe upper body injury last week. The 19-year-old Brandon native could be out of commission for a lengthy period.
    “It’s an unfortunate situation with Tyson and we don’t know what his future is going to bring,” said Sutter. “He’s back home now and will be evaluated on a regular basis.
    “We couldn’t be left in a position where we’re hoping he might be back in two or three weeks, a month, whatever. It’s such an unknown thing.
    “It’s unfortunate for Tyson, but we needed to move forward and add someone to the group and we were fortunate enough to acquire a goalie that has some experience in the league.”
    Petersen has appeared in 26 WHL games split between the Calgary Hitmen, Silvertips and Chiefs, recording a 13-7-1 win-loss record.”

    From seeing this I don’t think he will be back but I don’t know that for sure.

  7. #47

    Default

    Sounds like a tough situation for the kid and unfortunate that the Rebels also had to expend assets to replace him. You're right, it doesn't sound at all promising that he will be ever suit up for the Rebels. I remain interested to see what Sutter will do about the overage situation since it has been clear for some time Martin will not be sticking around.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Red Deer
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup View Post
    Sounds like a tough situation for the kid and unfortunate that the Rebels also had to expend assets to replace him. You're right, it doesn't sound at all promising that he will be ever suit up for the Rebels. I remain interested to see what Sutter will do about the overage situation since it has been clear for some time Martin will not be sticking around.
    What we gave up for Verhelst was Dawson Weatherill and a 5th round pick in 2018. We basically get back a 3rd pick in 2017. I don't think that is all that bad. We were going to have to move Weathrill anyways with Lambs play. You can't send Weatherill back to Midget. It wouldn't do him any good. It's unfortunate what has transpired. Let’s give Lasse Petersen a chance to prove himself.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, AB
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BDKrebel View Post
    From seeing this I donít think he will be back but I donít know that for sure.
    To me, it sounds like he has lost his passion for the game. He would have to pass a physical in order to be traded to another team, so he was obviously injured since the trade, which leads me to believe it occurred off the ice, perhaps while training.

    Quote Originally Posted by calcheyup
    You're right, it doesn't sound at all promising that he will be ever suit up for the Rebels.
    Verhelst and Petersen are at similar points in their career. Both have some WHL experience, and both are likely in their last season of being in the WHL. The fact that Petersen is currently healthy makes me think that the likelyhood of Verhelst ever playing in Red Deer, is slim.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDKrebel
    We were going to have to move Weathrill anyways with Lambs play.
    Weatherill had an average camp as a 16 year old, and a poor camp as a 17 year old. Reassigning a 17 year old 2nd round pick that has been through two main camps, typically means that the player in question won't be returning as an 18 year old, be it their decision or the team's decision. The Rebels have had more success of late with listed goaltenders (Toth, Lamb), or older goaltenders they have acquired from other teams (Kuemper, Martin), than they have with their own drafted goaltenders (Weatherill, Burman, Pouliot, Naherniak, Clark).

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Red Deer
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    To me, it sounds like he has lost his passion for the game. He would have to pass a physical in order to be traded to another team, so he was obviously injured since the trade, which leads me to believe it occurred off the ice, perhaps while training.).
    He did not lose his passion for hockey. Iíve had 2 concussions in fastball and one in hockey that I know of. Itís depressing when you are sitting at your desk and you get dizzy. He was really excited when he was traded to the Rebels. It just didnít work out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •