Thread: 2016-2017 Hurricanes Season

Default 2016-2017 Hurricanes Season

Figured I'd start a new thread since the previous thread was more focused on training camp...

Sure is quiet here these days. Must mean the Canes are doing well!!

Canes are playing better and better every game. Players are getting back in the groove, and once the chemistry comes back from last year, you should expect the team to take off even higher.

Played well last night vs. Victoria, other than the last half of the 1st period and a couple defensive lapses that led to stretch pass breakaway goals.

Goalies: Stueys playing well. Had some unlucky games near the start of the season where he had no defensive help, and inflated his GAA. Needs to work on his gloveside as that's where it seems he keeps getting beat. No goals yet this season? Total bust. I was worried about Gilchrist after he came in relief in Med Hat, but played decent in Tri-City. Made some decent saves, and should hopefully provide Stu with a few well earned games off in the future.

Defense: Pank hasn't played as well as I hoped he would. Gotta stop making dumb plays and get the pass off hard. Menell has come as advertised. Mini-Menell (Addison) will be a star one day. So poised with the puck, just wish he had a little more size. Igors played alright. Gotta work on getting that first pass out. Always seems to turn it over. Liking Riddle so far, perfect definition of a defensive defenseman. Great pickup by Anholt. King must be injured?

Forwards: Starting to pick it up now. Good to see Babenko is still scoring goals. Burke I think has taken a minor step back, seems to be trying too hard? Wong will get his scoring touch and sniping back yet, same with Estephan. Looked great vs Victoria. Loving Joseph so far. Gets time on the PK, and had a great game vs the Royals. Not sure where Vandervlis, and Davis are. Havent showed up this year. Both had great training camps... I like Nagel as well, see a bit of Folk in him. Tougher player who gets PK time and plays that grinder role. Jordy plays hard every night, love that kid. Zaharichuk is smaller but can score, and has great hands. Gotta hope that both the third and fourth lines pick up on scoring here a bit...

All in all, I'd think and hope this is our year. Pretty much our top 2 lines and top 2 d pairs are all 19 or 20 this year. I don't see the central being a problem, but Regina and Speedy Creek scare me from the East. And you never know what Brandon will do... It'll be interesting to see how we stack up vs. Regina on Saturday night!

Thoughts from anyone else? Let's get some conversation going here! Wake up! The Canes are doing well!

Default my thoughts....................

Quote Originally Posted by jkanes View Post
    Figured I'd start a new thread since the previous thread was more focused on training camp...

Sure is quiet here these days. Must mean the Canes are doing well!!

Canes are playing better and better every game. Players are getting back in the groove, and once the chemistry comes back from last year, you should expect the team to take off even higher.

Played well last night vs. Victoria, other than the last half of the 1st period and a couple defensive lapses that led to stretch pass breakaway goals.

Goalies: Stueys playing well. Had some unlucky games near the start of the season where he had no defensive help, and inflated his GAA. Needs to work on his gloveside as that's where it seems he keeps getting beat. No goals yet this season? Total bust. I was worried about Gilchrist after he came in relief in Med Hat, but played decent in Tri-City. Made some decent saves, and should hopefully provide Stu with a few well earned games off in the future.

Defense: Pank hasn't played as well as I hoped he would. Gotta stop making dumb plays and get the pass off hard. Menell has come as advertised. Mini-Menell (Addison) will be a star one day. So poised with the puck, just wish he had a little more size. Igors played alright. Gotta work on getting that first pass out. Always seems to turn it over. Liking Riddle so far, perfect definition of a defensive defenseman. Great pickup by Anholt. King must be injured?

Forwards: Starting to pick it up now. Good to see Babenko is still scoring goals. Burke I think has taken a minor step back, seems to be trying too hard? Wong will get his scoring touch and sniping back yet, same with Estephan. Looked great vs Victoria. Loving Joseph so far. Gets time on the PK, and had a great game vs the Royals. Not sure where Vandervlis, and Davis are. Havent showed up this year. Both had great training camps... I like Nagel as well, see a bit of Folk in him. Tougher player who gets PK time and plays that grinder role. Jordy plays hard every night, love that kid. Zaharichuk is smaller but can score, and has great hands. Gotta hope that both the third and fourth lines pick up on scoring here a bit...

All in all, I'd think and hope this is our year. Pretty much our top 2 lines and top 2 d pairs are all 19 or 20 this year. I don't see the central being a problem, but Regina and Speedy Creek scare me from the East. And you never know what Brandon will do... It'll be interesting to see how we stack up vs. Regina on Saturday night!

Thoughts from anyone else? Let's get some conversation going here! Wake up! The Canes are doing well!

..........the front end is as good as any in the league hand down, the back end is suffering from the loss of nielson and atwal in a big way..adding mennel is a good step in the right direction but far from what we seen here last year. when it comes to our goailes skinner will only get better but gilchrist is a bit of a head shaker, I don't like coming here and saying anything bad about these young kid but the reason last year worked so well was there was a great one two punch with skinner and sittler followed by a good d core in Atwal nielson and crew.. and as I said the front end spoke for itself........with the chance that giorgio sticks with buffalo next year, tyler, ryley gone I would bet there will be major shake up by Christmas if thing don't turn a around and start to resemble last years back end very soon.......just my two cents...................
    GO CANES GO.................

Well what a collapse that was last night. Regina looked like to me the much better team from the get go last night. They can roll all 4 lines and all 4 can do damage. That being said, we did play alright for 2 periods with our top 2 lines creating chances. I thought Skinner played well for 40 minutes. Not capitalizing on on those power plays was a real dagger. I agree, our D needs a major overall if they dont turn it around. Every game Ive watched they have been bad to say the least. Way to many turnovers in our own zone and not being able to make the first pass out of the zone. Don't know whats going on with Pankewicz but he's probably been the worst out of all the D men. The offence will probably carry this team to a playoff spot but with the D the way it is now, it'll look like last years playoffs. Hope the boys can turn it around

Trade Braden Burke?!? Here is a 100+ player that could come back next year and he is gone for a player (Bowen) and a couple of picks. There must have been some kind of problem in the locker room if this is the solution. Here is hoping that last year wasn't a one and done season. Peter is a pretty good GM IMO so I'm pretty sure that things will come around. I just hope it sooner rather than later.

BB

5. Default Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    Trade Braden Burke?!? Here is a 100+ player that could come back next year and he is gone for a player (Bowen) and a couple of picks. There must have been some kind of problem in the locker room if this is the solution. Here is hoping that last year wasn't a one and done season. Peter is a pretty good GM IMO so I'm pretty sure that things will come around. I just hope it sooner rather than later.

BB
    there has been issues since Spokane and not following team protocol....its too bad but i am glad we have a GM who reacts
    GO CANES GO

I can't really say I blame Anholt for going off on this guy to the media. He was all but forced to trade a player that had 166 points in 128 regular season games as a Hurricane, one that will almost certainly be an overage player in the league next season. Anholt is held accountable to the fans--even more so on a community owned team. Cost him a thousand bucks, but I think it is quite clear that whatever Burke was doing, was impacting the team enough that he felt he had to say something about his departure.

While Burke was in Red Deer, I never heard anything disparaging about him. I did hear that he was an unpleasant teammate/player in bantam/midget from a few of the parents of his teammates/opponents prior to him joining the team, but nothing really after that. Never really thought much of it, as many impact players in the WHL are unpleasant in the eyes of their peers--many of them will do anything to win.