Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st 8 games

Default 1st 8 games

I would like to know what your thoughts on the first 8 games the Rebels have played so far. Itís still early but the Rebels are exactly where I thought they would be in the standings. 500 hockey. They have a young team and that should be expected after hosting the Memorial Cup. I think Lethbridge and Regina are clearly the teams to beat in the Eastern Conference this year. Swift Current might have something to say about this. I donít think Nolan Patrick can carry Brandon on his back for the whole season. I think he is easily one of the best players in the Dub but you need more than one player to be successful. They have lost a lot of key players. Thatís just my opinion.

Anaheim must be licking their chops after they drafted Mahura in the 3rd round. If he had played more last year I think he would have went late 1st or early 2nd round. He reminds me of Nick Lidstrom. He just closes the gap and angles out opposing players quickly.

I can't really comment on the rest of the players. Itís still early.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKrebel View Post
    I would like to know what your thoughts on the first 8 games the Rebels have played so far. Itís still early but the Rebels are exactly where I thought they would be in the standings. 500 hockey.
    Pretty much where they should be, given that they lost their top three defensemen, and a good chunk of their offense from last season.

I donít think Nolan Patrick can carry Brandon on his back for the whole season. I think he is easily one of the best players in the Dub but you need more than one player to be successful. They have lost a lot of key players.
    Wheat Kings are in a similar boat as the Rebels, except that they have the edge in goaltending experience.

Anaheim must be licking their chops after they drafted Mahura in the 3rd round. If he had played more last year I think he would have went late 1st or early 2nd round.
    Seems unlikely. He was like 160lbs last season, and certainly wouldn't have put up the same numbers as the #6 defenseman on the team. I think his reputation as well as his performance in regional and international tournaments landed him in the 3rd round, but he probably wouldn't have gone a lot higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Pretty much where they should be, given that they lost their top three defensemen, and a good chunk of their offense from last season.

Wheat Kings are in a similar boat as the Rebels, except that they have the edge in goaltending experience.

Seems unlikely. He was like 160lbs last season, and certainly wouldn't have put up the same numbers as the #6 defenseman on the team. I think his reputation as well as his performance in regional and international tournaments landed him in the 3rd round, but he probably wouldn't have gone a lot higher than that.
    I'm surprised he went that early given the limited amount of games he played in last year.

I'm surprised he went that early given the limited amount of games he played in last year.
    Me too, especially since he was pressed into extremely high-leverage situations in hugely important games immediately after returning from a six-month absence, and really didn't perform all that well (not that he should have been expected to). I firmly believe Sutter passed on picking up a (badly needed) defenseman at last year's deadline because he was counting on Mahura to be "that guy" when he came back. I think that notion was both unrealistic and unfair to the kid, and he definitely had his struggles in the playoffs last year. You can hardly fault him, at that point he had what, 60 WHL games under his belt and hadn't played all year, but I didn't feel the playoff run or Memorial Cup last year did anything to really increase his draft stock.

[QUOTE=calcheyup;204977 Me too, especially since he was pressed into extremely high-leverage situations in hugely important games immediately after returning from a six-month absence[/QUOTE]

He is definitely going to be put in those situations this year and so far he has lived up to it. He looked pretty good last night as well.

Most of their defense as a whole has played pretty well, at least at home. Bobyk again was good last night. He was plus 5, with a goal and an assist. We need this from him. I have been very impressed with Ethan Sakowich. He seems very mature for a 17yr old and hasnít looked out of place. As for Jared Freadrich, he looks a little tentative but I think that may be due to his new surroundings. Letís give him a few more games.

For the forwards. Austin Pratt has looked very good. He seems to be in the right place at the right time and he looks a lot quicker. What can you say about Brandon Hagel, he never takes a shift off. He is relentless. What an addition to the team last year. Spacek looks good but I think at times he tries to do too much and that goes for Musil as well. Musil just hasnít found his groove yet but I think that will come as he settles into his new role as Captain. The forward Iíve been most disappointed with is De Wit. He has been very inconsistent. I wish he would play like he did in the playoffs against the Hitmen. He looked unstoppable. You would think he has the most to prove after being passed over in the draft.

Our goaltending situation looks good in the foreseeable future. With the play of Riley Lamb and having Byron Fancy in the fold for next year we look pretty solid for the next 5 yrs but a lot of things can happen during that time. I know this is why we were able to move the other goaltenders.

Now for our special teams. Iím not going to blame our penalty kill last night against Moose Jaw because the power plays were so lopsided in favor of Moose Jaw 8-2. I personally would like to see us be more aggressive like other teams. The Rebels box just seems to collapse allowing visiting teams to move the puck at will. Our power play hasn't been good either. We had a 5 minute advantage last night and only recorded 1 shot. Mind you many of the shots were blocked. Hopefully there is some improvement on these moving forward.

I wasn't able to comment on every player at this time. I just haven't seen enough games to watch all of them. Some of you may be able to comment a little further.

The forward Iíve been most disappointed with is De Wit. He has been very inconsistent. I wish he would play like he did in the playoffs against the Hitmen.
    Keep in mind, he played with considerably more experienced linemates in the playoffs vs. Calgary. This year he has been primarily playing between Akash Bains, and the player that I have been the most disappointed with in Quinn Martin. He is a good player, but is not even in the same ballpark as Spacek or Musil from a skill standpoint--so I don't see him moving up in the lineup. I think that the overage player they add will change his fortunes, as I believe it will result in Quinn Martin being released or reassigned.

Our goaltending situation looks good in the foreseeable future. With the play of Riley Lamb and having Byron Fancy in the fold for next year we look pretty solid for the next 5 yrs but a lot of things can happen during that time.
    I will reserve judgement until I see Fancy in training camp next season. The Rebels haven't drafted a non-european goaltender that has panned out, in quite a few years. Reimer was probably the last one.

Now for our special teams. Iím not going to blame our penalty kill last night against Moose Jaw because the power plays were so lopsided in favor of Moose Jaw 8-2.
    When you spend almost a third of the game killing penalties against a competitive team, I don't care how good your PK is, you are going to give up some goals on the PK.

I personally would like to see us be more aggressive like other teams. The Rebels box just seems to collapse allowing visiting teams to move the puck at will.
    The box that they employ works just fine, if the players challenging the shooters get in front of some of the shots, and the guy in front of the net stays with his man. If this doesn't start happening though, I agree that they really need to pump the brakes on the passive box. I have a feeling that the overage player that they add is going to address their lackluster PK.

He is definitely going to be put in those situations this year and so far he has lived up to it. He looked pretty good last night as well.

Most of their defense as a whole has played pretty well, at least at home. Bobyk again was good last night. He was plus 5, with a goal and an assist. We need this from him. I have been very impressed with Ethan Sakowich. He seems very mature for a 17yr old and hasnít looked out of place. As for Jared Freadrich, he looks a little tentative but I think that may be due to his new surroundings. Letís give him a few more games.

For the forwards. Austin Pratt has looked very good. He seems to be in the right place at the right time and he looks a lot quicker. What can you say about Brandon Hagel, he never takes a shift off. He is relentless. What an addition to the team last year. Spacek looks good but I think at times he tries to do too much and that goes for Musil as well. Musil just hasnít found his groove yet but I think that will come as he settles into his new role as Captain. The forward Iíve been most disappointed with is De Wit. He has been very inconsistent. I wish he would play like he did in the playoffs against the Hitmen. He looked unstoppable. You would think he has the most to prove after being passed over in the draft.

Our goaltending situation looks good in the foreseeable future. With the play of Riley Lamb and having Byron Fancy in the fold for next year we look pretty solid for the next 5 yrs but a lot of things can happen during that time. I know this is why we were able to move the other goaltenders.

Now for our special teams. Iím not going to blame our penalty kill last night against Moose Jaw because the power plays were so lopsided in favor of Moose Jaw 8-2. I personally would like to see us be more aggressive like other teams. The Rebels box just seems to collapse allowing visiting teams to move the puck at will. Our power play hasn't been good either. We had a 5 minute advantage last night and only recorded 1 shot. Mind you many of the shots were blocked. Hopefully there is some improvement on these moving forward.

I wasn't able to comment on every player at this time. I just haven't seen enough games to watch all of them. Some of you may be able to comment a little further.

Have watched a lot of games and decided to weigh in on some of your observations.

You mention Bobyk. Great one timer, very poor puck handler and a defensive liability at times. Makes some terrible decisions with the puck. Very poor passes along the offensive blue line. Someone mentioned earlier anything outside the oppositions blueline he is not very good. I tend to agree. Although his plus 5 last night was impressive.
    Sakowich looks fine. Hard to get a read only playing a few shifts of protected minutes. He will be good in this league someday.
    Freadrich has been a great addition. Very patient and responsible with the puck. His angles and passes are bang on. Plus 4 last night and has been playimg a huge defensive role. By the important minutes he is getting, I would say Sutter is more than pleased. His points will come. Argueably our best puck mover out of our own end and as mentioned by Sutter very responsible and well coached. A good contrast playing with Bobyk.
    The forwards are fine, all of them. The forecheck on PK was awesome last night, it's their power play that is not good. We can gain the o-zone but forwards aren't applying enough pressure to maintain control. They will work on that. As far as the PK they need to apply more pressure at the top of the box and offside guy needs to clog up the middle. Med hat and MJ found the guy in middle on the power play. That has to be addressed.
    If they can get special teams on track they will compete with anyone.
    Lamb as the #1 tender will be fine. Has lots of compete and control. Looked calm the last couple games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelobserver View Post
    Have watched a lot of games and decided to weigh in on some of your observations.

You mention Bobyk. Great one timer, very poor puck handler and a defensive liability at times. Makes some terrible decisions with the puck. Very poor passes along the offensive blue line. Someone mentioned earlier anything outside the oppositions blueline he is not very good. I tend to agree. Although his plus 5 last night was impressive.
    Sakowich looks fine. Hard to get a read only playing a few shifts of protected minutes. He will be good in this league someday.
    Freadrich has been a great addition. Very patient and responsible with the puck. His angles and passes are bang on. Plus 4 last night and has been playimg a huge defensive role. By the important minutes he is getting, I would say Sutter is more than pleased. His points will come. Argueably our best puck mover out of our own end and as mentioned by Sutter very responsible and well coached. A good contrast playing with Bobyk.
    The forwards are fine, all of them. The forecheck on PK was awesome last night, it's their power play that is not good. We can gain the o-zone but forwards aren't applying enough pressure to maintain control. They will work on that. As far as the PK they need to apply more pressure at the top of the box and offside guy needs to clog up the middle. Med hat and MJ found the guy in middle on the power play. That has to be addressed.
    If they can get special teams on track they will compete with anyone.
    Lamb as the #1 tender will be fine. Has lots of compete and control. Looked calm the last couple games.
    Good to have you here. It's always nice to have more than 4 people with opinions here. I was the one that mentioned outside the oppositions blueline that he was terrible. I'm hoping I didn't offend anybody. I think I was just probably really frustrated with him.

I think I was just probably really frustrated with him.
    I think the frustrating thing about Bobyk, is that half the time he plays ok outside the opposition''s blueline, so you know that he is capable of doing it, but just doesn't half the time. And as I type this, he scores the game winning goal in the circus!

Welcome, rebelobserver! Nice to have some new blood around here.

As for the passive box PK strategy not working, this has been an issue for, like... years. Actually.