Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Playoffs Round 2 - Swift Current

Jost - does anyone know if Jost would be eligible to join the Pats after his NHL season is over? Colorado has only 1 game left after today. He has played few enough games to be returned to Junior and will have no hockey after their last game which is coming soon. He is obviously on the Pats protected list and should be eligible to play. I'm wondering if it would be his choice to report or not. OR is there something in the NHL players agreement or WHL rules prohibiting that.

Jost is not eligible for the current season. Not sure what the rule is, but I confirmed it with a reliable source.

Ya, I have also heard a number of times that he is not eligible for this season. Not totally sure if due to the way things work with agreements, or simply because the pick the Pats had given up for him is no longer with them and can no longer give the compensation drawn out in the deal (2017 1st round pick if he played this season... now Red Deer's). That would be something if he could and DID join the team, though. Would be a major boost! While most(myself included) expect to see Jost in the NHL next season, the chances of him ending up on the Pats is still better than it was before.

I'm going to assume Brooks isn't playing next couple games. I don't know about ahl either but let's assume that too. Pierce should be back, kjemhus would suit up...Smart will be up front again, likely.

Do the pats plan on calling up Bruce? His Mjhl season ended.

Swift may be some good adversity for this team to face, but even with injuries I still see us as the favorite. I think splitting the next couple games wouldn't be horrible, and winning both of them is very possible. Brown has been solid, we still have the steel line, and our back end has been our main strength.

Our secondary players have stepped up in general. Sloboshan has stepped up to look like a decent 2c with. Davidson has been pretty good. I think DeWitt has looked alot better in playoffs. He seems to be skating better and creating turnovers. Buziak had looked fine with the extra ice time too.

And at least some of the rookies are seeing playoff hockey. That's the one benefit to a lack of depth.

The X factor is Brooks back or need time to heal up. The Broncos will be after Steele for sure get him banged up and series could be disaster. The Pats depth is a concern right now. This series goes 7 now if Brooks out until final game.

Pats in 7 baby and owner love gates!

The Pats have to find a way to win these tough games and so far they are not. Less than two minutes into OT they are caught with their 3rd line (more like 4th) and 3rd D pairing. They fire a long distance shot that beats Brown between the wickets. He let the team down on that one. It simply can't happen especially in the boat they're in right now. The Broncos admit they are trying to put pucks into his feet, an area he is weak on. The winning goal can't be that weak.

Scoring one goal in each of two games is simply not enough and won't cut it. They didn't crowd the net like the previous game and were again on the perimeter. Steel has been a non-factor and that has to change fast. Even with lots of attention he needs to be better, and make those around him better. Henry misses a wide open net on a rare PP and that again didn't help. They say AHL is being tested for mumps so with Brooks and Lescyshyn out as well, 3 of our top 9 forwards are currently out. The depth conversation may soon raise it's ugly head! Why were were caught so unprepared. Some of the other leaders need to step up and that didn't happen last night. One of our lesser lights has to emerge and that hasn't happened yet. There are a number of guys who try to work hard but they are career 3rd and 4th line guys who have very little finish. The current available core group of Steel, Hobbs, Wagner, Leedahl, Sloboshan, Henry, Brown, and Mahura need to pick it up a few notches, and the role players need to be better. We also can't be giving up winning goals like the one last night. All gave some but some didn't give all. If they play more desperate and inspired, they can win the series. If they play feeling sorry for themselves, they won't. More has to be given.

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    The Pats have to find a way to win these tough games and so far they are not. Less than two minutes into OT they are caught with their 3rd line (more like 4th) and 3rd D pairing. They fire a long distance shot that beats Brown between the wickets. He let the team down on that one. It simply can't happen especially in the boat they're in right now. The Broncos admit they are trying to put pucks into his feet, an area he is weak on. The winning goal can't be that weak.

Scoring one goal in each of two games is simply not enough and won't cut it. They didn't crowd the net like the previous game and were again on the perimeter. Steel has been a non-factor and that has to change fast. Even with lots of attention he needs to be better, and make those around him better. Henry misses a wide open net on a rare PP and that again didn't help. They say AHL is being tested for mumps so with Brooks and Lescyshyn out as well, 3 of our top 9 forwards are currently out. The depth conversation may soon raise it's ugly head! Why were were caught so unprepared. Some of the other leaders need to step up and that didn't happen last night. One of our lesser lights has to emerge and that hasn't happened yet. There are a number of guys who try to work hard but they are career 3rd and 4th line guys who have very little finish. The current available core group of Steel, Hobbs, Wagner, Leedahl, Sloboshan, Henry, Brown, and Mahura need to pick it up a few notches, and the role players need to be better. We also can't be giving up winning goals like the one last night. All gave some but some didn't give all. If they play more desperate and inspired, they can win the series. If they play feeling sorry for themselves, they won't. More has to be given.
    Chopper:

Agreed all your comments on this post. Players need to step up their game a few are IMO. Some are not at all. This is playoffs, and you just cant take a night and be average like the regular season. You have to work for everything.
    The third liners need to chip in and get greasy. Look at the SC's guys. They are the ones that will win you games. The first two lines are depleted right now, and IMO are trying to get things done. Steel is being manhandled and needs to find a way to beat that pressure put on him. Slobosian needs bury a few of those (at least 3-4 last night) chances. Its tough when you have to equalize the lines with Brooks and Ahl being out, but you simply just have to fight through it.

If everyone is waiting for Brooks and Ahl to come back and save the day, well just look at game one as both played.

Sounds like I am concerned about the season being over?, I am not YET. Tonight will be the deciding game. No one ever said this series would be easy. Give SC credit for playing "playoff hockey". They are doing just enough holding, slashing, interference to get away with it in the Refs eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatshockey1965 View Post
    Chopper:

Agreed all your comments on this post. Players need to step up their game a few are IMO. Some are not at all. This is playoffs, and you just cant take a night and be average like the regular season. You have to work for everything.
    The third liners need to chip in and get greasy. Look at the SC's guys. They are the ones that will win you games. The first two lines are depleted right now, and IMO are trying to get things done. Steel is being manhandled and needs to find a way to beat that pressure put on him. Slobosian needs bury a few of those (at least 3-4 last night) chances. Its tough when you have to equalize the lines with Brooks and Ahl being out, but you simply just have to fight through it.

If everyone is waiting for Brooks and Ahl to come back and save the day, well just look at game one as both played.

Sounds like I am concerned about the season being over?, I am not YET. Tonight will be the deciding game. No one ever said this series would be easy. Give SC credit for playing "playoff hockey". They are doing just enough holding, slashing, interference to get away with it in the Refs eyes.

You make a very astute point about game one. We had Brooks, Ahl, and a rested lineup yet still only scored one goal which more of a fluke. It's not always about the talent you have in your lineup; it's about what your talent is doing or prepared to do! Zablocki for instance was always ready to go through a brick wall. I haven't seen too many guys willing to do that this year. In order for us to win it will have to be very very ugly.

Agreed on Steel. He needs to keep his feet movinhg and find another level of compete. Over the years I've seen guys in playoffs become beasts, taking hits, slashes, etc to get to scoring areas. He will need to do that in the NHL so he better start doing it now. Maybe they should consider returning Leedahl to his line and at least have a pure #1 line. Sloboshan, Wagner and perhaps DeWitt might be able to cobble together as a line. All season long Leedahl and Steel were producing points. They are better together than apart.

Brown has to shake off that bad winning goal and steal us a game. Forwards can win you a game, d-men can save you a game, and goalies can steal you a game! We need a steal….and maybe Steel.

Smart needs to move up in the lineup, he played very well in his shifts last night and I think he should get some more time. I'm talking moving him with with Wagner and Sloboshan even.

Leedahl-Steel-Henry
    Wagner-Sloboshan-Smart
    Holmes-Buziak-Lockner
    Pierce-de Wit-Kjemhus

If Ahl and Brooks are out for this game, and it sounds like Brooks for a few more days too, that third line needs to produce, and a guy like deWit needs to step up and get more aggressive.

I think this team CAN come back if they go down 3-1, but I would MUCH rather come back home for a best of three sitting at 2-2. Then all you have to do is win at home and move on.

I was not impressed with the effort the Pats gave in game 3. They played without urgency. In the last half of the game, they were playing like they had a 3 goal lead. I could tell by the way they were skating that they were not hungry enough to win the game. Tyler Brown stood on his head in regulation before giving up a very soft goal that was shot from inside the blue line. Surprise surprise, but it was inevitable the way the Pats were playing. It was only a matter of time until Swift Current scored the game winner. The Pats have a very poor OT record this year and they weren't playing like they wanted to win to begin with.

The Pats need to put the puck on goal. Yes, some pucks were deflected wide, but a lot of shots the Pats took missed the net completely. I can count on one finger how many goals I've seen the Pats score this year as a result of missing the net. In fact it may have been against Swift Current in the regular season (the game they lost in OT). A defenseman rifled a shot, which missed the net, but it hit the boards and bounced right back in front, where a forward (Leedahl?) was able to shoot it into the net. That's the only one I've seen this year, whereas I've lost count of the number of goals the Pats have scored while hitting the net outright or via rebounds / scrambles.

People are worried about Sam Steel leaving the Pats and playing in the NHL next year. If he can't even make a difference in a WHL playoff game against the Swift Current Bronco's on national television, what difference will he be able to make against an NHL team, where the players are much bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled? Steel, Leedahl and some of the other older players need to step up their game and start making a bigger difference (Leedahl's goal in game 3 not withstanding). Yes, the entire team needs to play better, but your best players need to be your best players and I don't think the Pats have been getting that this series.

Undisciplined penalties reared their ugly head in game 3 again. Swift Current got away with a lot of things that would have been called in the regular season because they knew where the line was, but the Pats crossed well beyond that playoff standard. For instance, that dirty hit on Steenbergen by Wagner with 3 minutes left in the third period didn't cost the Pats the game, but it would have cost them the game if the Bronco's scored. That's low hockey IQ and the Pats need to play smarter than that. And this is where I give credit to Connor Hobbs for laying a big clean hit on Sahvan Khaira, which took the wind out of his sails. That's how you hit in the playoffs.

As for Wyatt Sloboshan, he has been skating well in the playoffs, but he doesn't have that scoring touch the way players like Steel, Brooks and Leedahl have. The most I expect from him right now is to shoot the puck on goal and eventually good things will happen.

As for Jonathan Smart, I agree with you Puckhead. He has looked very good as a forward this series. In fact, he looks better as a forward in the playoffs, than he did as a defenseman in the regular season. He has been skating hard and has been trying to do all of the little things right. I don't know where you put him in the line up, but I do give him credit for the way he has embraced his playoff role.

Depth. Lets do some quick math. The Pats traded 6 forwards away and received 2 in return. That's a net loss of 4 forwards. Add Ahl, Brooks, and Leschyshyn to that list and the Pats are down 7 forwards. Two are from the first line (Ahl, Brooks), one of which is the team captain and a top scorer in the league (Brooks). Two of the three injured are two of the top 3 centers on the team (Brooks, Leschyshyn). If the Pats want to win games and the series against Swift Current, they are going to have to play and win as a team like they did in game 2. This means skating hard (playing with urgency) for a full 60 minutes, playing gritty, and getting pucks on net. If they keep playing most of the series like they already have a 3 goal lead, their season will be over fast as in it will be over on Friday.