Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2017 R.D. Bantam Picks

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    hopefully the young guys keep playing well enough that it forces Sutter to clear out the likes of Roy and Bains for draft picks.
    If Roy somehow sticks around this year, it seems hard to imagine him back as an overage player next year. He was a decent option to fill a roster spot last season, in the wake of the Memorial Cup hangover, but like you, I don't really see a future for him on the Rebels. It wouldn't be too hard to replace his skill, but it would be tough to replace his work ethic.

Bains had 21 points as a rookie last season, primarily used in a penalty killing/shutdown role. I think they would be crazy to trade an 18 year old, after one season, that has the tools that he has. It looks like Martin is going to be out for a big chunk of the season, so there will be an opportunity for a youngster to push for a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonergroupie View Post
    I dont know about the trade today. Defense gets younger and we have another 19 year old, third or fourth line forward. Sutter obviously thinks he has offensive upside but with those numbers, he hasnt shown it to date. If he is going to play top 6 like Sutter thinks he will, this will bump Pratt back down to the third line. Sutter said he has to many defense which means if Petersen is dumped, that 20 year old spot will probably gets filled by a foreward as well. With the three mentioned above, Cutler and Douglas in the mix, so much for watching the exciting young guys get to play this year.
    Maybe he has his eye on a 20 year old d man that a spot had to be freed up for. Who knows. In the meantime, hopefully the young guys keep playing well enough that it forces Sutter to clear out the likes of Roy and Bains for draft picks.
    Looks like the 16 year olds have all been sent back. Does the league not have a rule that 16's have to play in so many games? If so, while they are good young players, I can see how it would be a challenge given the roster depth in the top 12. Seem like good players, but not elite. Cutler, Douglas, schellenberg, Lowry are all young fwds that appear to have solidified spots. Not sure why you would get rid of Bains, seems like a solid 3rd liner for the next 2 seasons. Have no problem with Roy, at least he plays with some edge.

The defence got younger, but it's not like they moved out a legitimate top 3 guy. Freadrich did not look good in the games I saw. Back end appears to be a big strength, and all players can return again next season. Plus, with 4 17 year olds on the backend, there is lots of youth there as well.

I believe what we are seeing is an incredibly quick mem cup recovery. Hopefully they discard the 20 goalie, and add another 20 at some point, ans we could be looking at a team that challenges for division. Hoping to make it to the game tonight, see how's it's all shaking out, minus the 2 guys still away!

Wow, that was as fast a Rebels team as I've ever watched last night. The Reichel boy sure can play, and Pratt was on a mission! Add in a Hagel and Zablocki, and I think the team has a pretty nice mix of talent!

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4 View Post

The defence got younger, but it's not like they moved out a legitimate top 3 guy. Freadrich did not look good in the games I saw. Back end appears to be a big strength, and all players can return again next season. Plus, with 4 17 year olds on the backend, there is lots of youth there as well!
    Freadrich only played one pre-season game and Victoria come to the table again to trade for him. Huge hole to fill. I agree though that the backend is a big strength. Just need to trade for more forwards but no other dmen have the value that Freadrich had other than Alex and he's not tradeable.

Hearing Lamb hurt out for a while any truth to this?

Broken thumb, 6 weeks.